Water/Meth: Alky Control VS ProMeth

SVT3571

Established Member
To start, living in Canada has made E85 a non option for fuel

Done alot of researching, but haven't been able to find good answers beyond 10yr old threads which I feel could be alot different now adays...

Who's running water meth, and what kit is it? Seems to be Alky Control and AIS (ProMeth?) As the most recommended and backed kits on the market for us - looking for a trunk mounted setup.

ProMeth website isn't too great, no descriptions on their kits but I'm assuming their ProStreet universal stage 2 kit (3Gal trunk setup) would be the choice, or Alky Control offers MAF & MAP based kits for 99-04 cars but they require use of the OEM washer tank unless perhaps you add their universal tank option?

Any experience with either brand is appreciated !

s351

Established Member
I'm from Canada as well and I run a 3 nozzle prometh trunk mount setup on my turbo car. Pro meths website is terrible, but I recommend you call and talk to Rodney from prometh, he will answer any of your questions and set you up with what you need. I've had my system for 5 plus years, and I just replaced my pump just to be safe.

nxhappy

Established Member
do not use meth for extra power, only for safety octane cushion

if you want more power go with a nitrous wet kit

s351

Established Member
I wouldn't use meth on the extreme side like adding a ton of boost and a bunch of timing. But like anything else it can fail, but also your fuel pump could fail, your injector could fail. It can be used to add power but its a personal decision. There's 2 sides to the coin, you could use it to help cool charge temps add some octane, but don't go to crazy on timing and boost. Peak boost on my car is 19 psi, timing I believe is 17 degrees.

I'm pretty confident, if I didn't have meth on my car I would've lost a motor while on the dyno a few years ago, my wastegate stopped working correctly and pinned the gate and made the car make 23/24 pounds of boost. Turned out I had a tear in one of my lines causing the waste gate to not open. That's a ton of boost for 94 octane and 17 degrees of timing, I'm pretty sure without the meth it would've melted a few pistons.

olympic

Established Member
I run a Snow Performance dual nozzle kit spraying a 50/50 mix directly into the lower manifold. The pump is 10 years old and still works great providing additional knock resistance for 20lb of boost and 700hp on 91 octane pump gas.

s351

Established Member
I only switched my pump because I notice my afr's being higher than normal, this was after logging my fuel pumps, and changing my fuel filter, and cleaning everything still was a bit higher than the norm. So I switched pumps which is recommended after 5 years and yup my pump was on the way out. New pump and everything is back to normal.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
I come from the Turbo Buick world and there we use Alky 100% of the time to make power on 93 octane but in the Mustang world I soon realized that tuners dont tune to Alky. They only use it to cool the intake temps but it is NOT being used as fuel. I have an Alky kit with a (3) gallon tank in trunk and use it to cool IAC.

Honestly, I dont know why Mustang tuners wont tune to alky. I can only assume because one makes enough power on 93 that its too risky? IDN really. AEM makes a great fail safe so im not sure why tuners refuse to tune to it. I will admit my system did fail over the summer as it was leaking from the seal but with a fail safe it simply would have pulled timing or boost.

But when I got my Coyote I asked (3) of the top tuners in this country and ALL said they dont tune alky for fuel. But maybe the new edge stuff is different im not sure but it really does suck cause I have no E85 here either in Connecticut. Well, none close by at least.

Pump should be changed every year tho. Their cheap! Even tho its not being used as fuel we still can bump the timing up a little to make more power.

It doesn't matter which kit u buy. They all do the same shit. Mine was just pieces put together. They all use the same dam pump. Julio at Alky Control is who I have used for 15 years now. ALKYCONTROL

Users who are viewing this thread