Water wetter and anti-freeze

Blackmax

Established Member
I recently read to not mix Waterwetter with coolant ? Has anyone heard or know why not ? Whipple recommends a mix which I now have in my car of course. Thanks

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Don't know why you couldn't, it's been done forever. I even had to add anti-freeze to a 100% water/water wetter fill to prevent foaming in the intercooler system. Water Wetter, as any coolant booster formulation, isn't as effective when glycol is present. It works better in straight water. For best results, use in straight water, but is perfectly fine for use with anti-freeze.

Last edited:

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
It's not that it is a bad thing, it just isn't very effective. The reductions in temps you read about are when it is mixed with water...not with a normal 50/50 mix. You would be better off, if you don't have one already, running a C&R radiator as it will help reduce head temps. Or a 170 thermostat.

For the average street car running antifreeze, it's a waste of money.....in my opinion, of course. I stopped using it years ago for that reason. Now, if you run water, you should see the advertised reductions.

Last edited:

Blackmax

Established Member
I have the larger HE with fans, the instructions with the blower suggest using 1or2 bottles of WaterWetter to reduce air bubble insulation. They say for higher boost 75% water and lower go 50%. I'll have to see if I can find who posted not to use it.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
For the average street car running antifreeze, it's a waste of money.....in my opinion, of course. I stopped using it years ago for that reason. Now, if you run water, you should see the advertised reductions.
$10 is a waste of money? I currently run a mix of 80% distilled water 20% coolant and a bottle of Water Wetter... if that combo pulls ONE MORE additional degree of heat off the heads I consider it worth it with all the cooling issues present in the 99-01 and unrevised 03-04 Cobra castings!:rockon:

Brutal Metal

Established Member
I have the larger HE with fans, the instructions with the blower suggest using 1or2 bottles of WaterWetter to reduce air bubble insulation. They say for higher boost 75% water and lower go 50%. I'll have to see if I can find who posted not to use it.

2 bottles is Way too much, you'll risk foaming..:nono:

Van@RevanRacing

I recently read to not mix Waterwetter with coolant ? Has anyone heard or know why not ? Whipple recommends a mix which I now have in my car of course. Thanks

Gee, Blackmax isn't online as I post. Go Vancouver!! GOAL!!!!

Nothing against Boston. These have been some great playoff games.

I've seen scaling with Water Wetter in cooling systems in motors after tear down. I have personally seen lower temperatures with Water Wetter however I also have used Conklin http://www.conklin.com/files/pdf/vp0904_002345_1210_SpecSafe.pdf in conjunction with Water Wetter.

The Conklin product is mandatory use in Indy Car. Reduces scale and corrosion.

Recently I switched to Amsoil Coolant Booster and saw some very good temperatures on the dyno. Being in South Florida I don't have to worry about freezing so if you do run water and coolant mix during the summer months I would suggest switching to a pure anti-freeze for the winter months if you live in a climate where you can experience freezing temperatures.

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
:burnout:
$10 is a waste of money? I currently run a mix of 80% distilled water 20% coolant and a bottle of Water Wetter... if that combo pulls ONE MORE additional degree of heat off the heads I consider it worth it with all the cooling issues present in the 99-01 and unrevised 03-04 Cobra castings!:rockon:

If you read my post, I said "in my opinion" and about 50/50 mix. To me, it's a waste of $10 in that setting... Plus, this is the GT500 5.4 forum not the 99-01 or 03-04 Cobra forum - we don't have the same cooling issues here. The C&R radiator and 170 t-stat is my plan...

Last edited:

WP64

I Couldn't Care Less...
Established Member
Van, what causes contamination? I've seen WW turn cooling fluid milky white, most likely due to too much antifreeze (Motorcraft Gold in this case) in the mix or not using distilled water? The owner couldn't get rid of it even after repeated flushing, including pulling the block plugs to get as much out as possible. The solution was to take it to the dealer for a professional flush, that did the trick but the owner went back to antifreeze w/o any additives.

Van@RevanRacing

Van, what causes contamination? I've seen WW turn cooling fluid milky white, most likely due to too much antifreeze (Motorcraft Gold in this case) in the mix or not using distilled water? The owner couldn't get rid of it even after repeated flushing, including pulling the block plugs to get as much out as possible. The solution was to take it to the dealer for a professional flush, that did the trick but the owner went back to antifreeze w/o any additives.

There are a number of things. Namely some of the elements in the water (non-distilled) Another thing that can happen is inadequate flushing of the heads and block of the former anti-freeze or coolant per se. Then you mix the two anti-freeze's one old and one new and possibly different brands or with water and it's not a good combination.

Sounds like the owner wasn't able to vacate the system adequately and properly and he was mixing products. To truly flush these systems you need to pressurize the system after draining the radiator so that you can get remnants in the heads and block to the bleed point and past the thermostat. Refill and pressurize.

Users who are viewing this thread