wax and sealent

Islandcat

Established Member
I am about to try to polish my car. I was gonna do it in this order. Wash with dawn. Clay bar.then polish. My question is what should I do after. Should I put a wax on then seal it or should I seal it first then wax it?

flamed03vert

Established Member
You can do a sealant without the Wax or vice versa. Wax isn't as long lasting as a good sealant but has a different warmer kind of shine. Sealant leaves a plastic-like candy coated shine. Now for extra durability and the carnuba glow you can seal and the top with carnube after a 24hr cure time just to be safe.

2003Slobra

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I am about to try to polish my car. I was gonna do it in this order. Wash with dawn. Clay bar.then polish. My question is what should I do after. Should I put a wax on then seal it or should I seal it first then wax it?

It honestly depends on the condition of the car. Some paint will require more correction and will lead you to different products. If you can supply us with pictures or even more information on what you are working on that would help. What do you plan on working with currently? Are you doing this by hand or machine?

Islandcat

Established Member
I will be using a porter cable. It is my first time doing this. It is a black car that is full of swirl marks and fine scratches. I think I am gonna wax it first to get the wet look then put a sealent over that to lock inthe look longer. Unless it doesn't quite work like that.

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I will be using a porter cable. It is my first time doing this. It is a black car that is full of swirl marks and fine scratches. I think I am gonna wax it first to get the wet look then put a sealent over that to lock inthe look longer. Unless it doesn't quite work like that.

OK good. Do you already have the pads or are you looking to pick those up as well? Being its your first time detailing the car I would look into the popular favorite from Meguiar's, #105 and #205. Both products are very easy to use and really do a fine job on restoring the car back to it's original glory.

Give us a call. Either John or myself would be more than willing to discuss a few different options for you that would be exactly what you're looking for. On top of that you always have your forum discount! :beer:

Matt

John@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
You definitely have the right idea, which is good. You also have the Porter Cable, even better.

Working clean is first and foremost. Since it is the first time you'll be restoring the finish, I would check to see your inventory on pads. Are they clean or new? If you're not sure, you might want to get a fresh set of pads, to make sure you're able to obtain the ultimate finish.

Next, what polish are you using? Washing with dawn, and claying after is a great start. Depending on the current condition of the clear coat, you may get by with a one-step procedure. If it's never been polished before, you're more than likely better off hitting it with something aggressive to level off imperfections, and then finishing the surface with a polish that's low in cut, but high in gloss or polishing oils. As mentioned earlier, Meguiar's 105 & 205 are a great combo for your Porter Cable. Easy to use, and it's a popular choice among most professionals.

In regards to the wax/sealant. If it's a daily driver, you can't go wrong using both together. Sealants in general don't have as deep of a shine as waxes, mainly because waxes derive from nature and contain carnauba. However, sealants will last over twice as long protecting your newly restored finish. You can combine both benefits by applying your sealant after polishing, and giving it at least 12 hours to cure (this means once you've applied your sealant and buffed it off, do not expose the car to environmental elements, or other products for about 12 hours.). After the curing time, you're safe to layer your wax. Waxes can be applied in multiple layers, but do not apply another coat of sealant. It will not bond to the paint properly with wax underneath it.

Best of luck in your quest to a show car finish! If you need help with anything in the meantime or during the process, feel free to get a hold of myself or Matt!

Islandcat

Established Member
thanks for the responses guys. i have ordered a kit from autogeek. i talked to a guy on the phone and told him my situation and what i planned on doing, and he gave me the kit and pads that he thought would do the job. Anyway, i think i will go ahead and put a sealent then wax it after.

Users who are viewing this thread