Waxing with flat black stripes?

pony23

Established Member
I just picked up a 2010 GT500. Black with flat black stripes. How do you guys wax the car when they have the flat stripes? Can you get wax on them?

8de57c13.jpg

Last edited:

Driver500

Established Member
I wouldn't. A local guy ruined his stripes with wax. If it were me I'd tape the edges and wax the car. The tape should keep wax from building up in the edges and give you a buffer zone.

Imatk

Established Member
Since your stripes are flat the best thing to use on them is something like a vinyl dressing.

I use Poorboy's for a vinyl dressing, but really anything designed for vinyl (armor all included) will work fine.

One mistake people make is to not use anything on their stripes and then they leave it out in the sun and it cracks. So make sure you are using some type of protectant for your stripes.

As for waxing... there are a lot of "waxes" (which is kind of a loose term nowadays) that will not leave a white residue on rubber/vinyl components of your car. So if you pick up something that's safe for your vinyl and won't leave a residue then you can worry less with taping the stripe.

But if you are using a wax that DOES leave white residue then yes make sure you tape them and if you do get some on the stripe just wipe it off immediately.

I use Meguiar's Ultimate liquid wax (which again isn't really a "wax") and it doesn't leave residue. But if you pick some up, don't get the paste version as it DOES leave a residue.

You could even use the Meguiar's (and others that don't stain) on your stripes, but it may make them more shiny which is probably not what you want to do.

Kewlv8

Established Member
I just picked up a 2010 GT500. Black with flat black stripes. How do you guys wax the car when they have the flat stripes? Can you get wax on them?

8de57c13.jpg

Never use standard wax on stripes. I use "Eagle-One NanoWax Spray" on all my stripes, and they never streak and still look new after many years. Enjoy

Steve@BAS

Established Member
I've always waxed mine, and I use both liquid and paste waxes. Also PC right over them, and never hurt anything, no cracks, no peeling at edges, etc. I used to spend a lot more time in the show and shine saloon and everyone in there always said no problem on waxing.

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
I've used wax, polishes, sealants, spray waxs, compounds, clays, you name it I've used it on my car AND the stripes. I have gone through just about every product I had interest in from the big (and not so big) online detailing retailers and have NEVER had a problem with my stripes discoloring or cracking.
The one thing I do recommend is that you keep the edges clean because residue will build up in the seem between the decal and the paint surface and eventually cause you headaches with cleaning and the stripes pealing.
I've since settled on mostly using Chemical Guys and Poor Boys products, but still haven't found that anything I'm willing to put on my paint will cause an issue with the vinyl stripe.
The stripe being flat black may introduce a new realm of issues to worry about, but my suggestion would be to order a 12" x 12" piece of vinyl in the same color as your stripes. Whatever you want to use on your car, try on the test piece first. If it causes an unwanted result, either tape off the stripes with green body masking tape or try a different product. I got a couple pieces of vinyl in grabber blue from an E-bay retailer and use them from time to time to try new things. I've even gotten to the point now where I can actually correct swirls and minor scratches in the stripes with a buffer, the right pad and the right techniques.

mullens

Established Member
One more thing on the matte stripes...if you get water spots that have embedded themselves, a 50/50 water vinegar solution takes them right out. FYI

GTOGreg

Crazy Sum-B
Established Member
I use to have that very same combo on my 09 Challenger. What worked for me was putting 303 aerospace protectant on the stripes, taping them before waxing, and then applying a polymer sealant (Zaino). Worked well and kept everything looking new.

Daffy

My cars own me.
Established Member
All good posts above. I have flat balck & I can testify that you don't want to wax them. I did and they looked great, until the 1st washing & then the wax showed. Had to dilute some citrus cleaner and go over them to strip the wax, then have been using vinyl care stuff on them, I'm a poor boys guy too, and that's the way to go. No carnuba or traditional waxes in my experience.

09Troublemaker

" That don't sound stock"
Established Member

8de57c13.jpg

Don't wax those stripes.... Basically the stripes with no sheen should not get wax on them.... I use this and it works great
Chemical Guys Meticulous Matte Detailer 16 oz.

When I wax the car I'm careful to stay away from the stripes... but I have touched them so I just use this product right away on a microfiber towel and wipe them clean... Now if I'm polishing, waxing in between the stripes I tape this area off.... A real PITA but the end result is faboooo.....

Blacksmoke

Established Member
DONT USE WAX.

Even if it works safe one time it can still stain another.
Use this... it is COMPLETELY safe and LASTS.
And you only need to sprays to do the whole hood area.

303® Aerospace Protectant 32oz

It is proven by MANY who have flat black stripes.
BIG corporations use this stuff on their boat decals or RV decals as well.
This company has a whole line of specialty stuff.

It has a LONG history of being pretty much the best stuff.
It protects through rain, sleet, snow, heat, and blocks the rays that the sun has to fade the stripes.
Unfortunately it's not in stores, corporations just call in to order or do it from the web.

I had them on our 06 GT that we had.
After a year that 32oz was only half gone.
Lasts about 1-2months depending on where you live and how much rain and sleet and snow you get.

Last edited:

JLear

2014 GT
Established Member
This may be a stupid question but I'm going to ask anyways lol... Is it only flat black stripes that should not be waxed, or should no wax be applied on any color stripe?

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
This may be a stupid question but I'm going to ask anyways lol... Is it only flat black stripes that should not be waxed, or should no wax be applied on any color stripe?

Flat or matte finished vinyl is similar to plastic trim in texture when you get regular wax on them. It leaves a residue that isn't easy to get off and creates swirls/smears that are even harder to repair.
Normal gloss finishes should be fine. Like I said, I've use just about everything out there on my grabber blue stripes and haven't had ANY ill affects. And I'm not talking about once or twice, my car is stripped and detailed usually once a month and washed and touched up at least once a week (and it's garage kept, only driven in nice weather)... I'm obsessive OCD when it comes to detailing and maintaining my cars. I've used every high quality wax and sealant under the sun (I've spent thousands on detailing products; DoDo Juice, Klasse, Wolfgang, Adams, Megwires, etc... you name it).
Like I said, if you work it right, you can actually correct swirls and spider webs in vinyl with a fine polish and the right pad on a D/A.

JLear

2014 GT
Established Member
Flat or matte finished vinyl is similar to plastic trim in texture when you get regular wax on them. It leaves a residue that isn't easy to get off and creates swirls/smears that are even harder to repair.
Normal gloss finishes should be fine. Like I said, I've use just about everything out there on my grabber blue stripes and haven't had ANY ill affects. And I'm not talking about once or twice, my car is stripped and detailed usually once a month and washed and touched up at least once a week (and it's garage kept, only driven in nice weather)... I'm obsessive OCD when it comes to detailing and maintaining my cars. I've used every high quality wax and sealant under the sun (I've spent thousands on detailing products; DoDo Juice, Klasse, Wolfgang, Adams, Megwires, etc... you name it).
Like I said, if you work it right, you can actually correct swirls and spider webs in vinyl with a fine polish and the right pad on a D/A.

Thanks man, I'm pretty anal about my car as well and wanted to be sure I wasn't doing something I shouldn't be when waxing over the stripes. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread