Weight increase on new Mustang went up, wonder how much the SVT car will be?

USV8PWR

Established Member
I'm sure most of you all saw yesterday but if not the weight of the new Mustang V6, EcoBoost and GT were released; with the new V6 and GT being HEAVIER than the model it replaces. I know several on this board were sure the new Mustang would come in at 3,400ish lbs which I said all along was a pipe dream. The new C7 Vette/Shelby weigh in at 3,400lbs and don't have rear seats and 3,400ish lbs is a 1995 Mustang that would have to also have today's saftey and technological requirements not to mention support double the HP in SVT form.

The only thing that may help the SVT car to stay the same weight as the GT or slighty less is if it has a N/A motor. Put some turbos on it and it will weigh as much or more than the current Shelby but with less HP IMO.

Anyways...glad I got that 2013 Shelby GT500 sitting in the garage!! :rockon:

VFORCEJOHN

Established Member
I weighed mine at maryland dragway. with me in it (235 pounds) it weighed 4280

2013 gt500 convertible. hard top was about 100 less. so 3400 isn't even close.

3400 pounds is not going to happen easily!!!

rodfarva

Established Member
I wish they would have used the weight reduction technology that they have used in the new F150 with aluminum body panels and lightened frame.

5.8 Venom

Established Member
I wish they would have used the weight reduction technology that they have used in the new F150 with aluminum body panels and lightened frame.

I think it will probably trickle down in the next few years to all of their lineup.

1320 Junkie

Established Member
I weighed mine at maryland dragway. with me in it (235 pounds) it weighed 4280

2013 gt500 convertible. hard top was about 100 less. so 3400 isn't even close.

3400 pounds is not going to happen easily!!!

God damn..!!!!! My coupe was 3950 and im 235lbs as well...in full street trim its 4015.

VFORCEJOHN

Established Member
Yep, I had exactly 1/2 a tank when I weighed it on saturday. friday night I went there with a 1/4 tank and barely made it to the gas station on the corner after 3 runs

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
God damn..!!!!! My coupe was 3950 and im 235lbs as well...in full street trim its 4015.

I weighed my car at my local drag stripe and without me in it and 1/2 a tank of gas it weighed 3,852 and with me it was 4,057. No weight reductions done yet. But I'm pretty sure the 2011s and 12s weigh about 60 pounds less than the 13's and 14s

Ghoust

Will Over Skill
Established Member
This is no surprise. IRS will always be heavier then a solid rear axle. Look at the weight difference between the 03 Cobra and an 03 GT. When this rumor came about the the new car will be lighter, I knew that was must smoke and mirrors. I am sure it will handle well but it physically cannot be lighter without drastically shrinking the car.

rancid

Established Member
I'm sure most of you all saw yesterday but if not the weight of the new Mustang V6, EcoBoost and GT were released; with the new V6 and GT being HEAVIER than the model it replaces. I know several on this board were sure the new Mustang would come in at 3,400ish lbs which I said all along was a pipe dream. The new C7 Vette/Shelby weigh in at 3,400lbs and don't have rear seats and 3,400ish lbs is a 1995 Mustang that would have to also have today's saftey and technological requirements not to mention support double the HP in SVT form.

The only thing that may help the SVT car to stay the same weight as the GT or slighty less is if it has a N/A motor. Put some turbos on it and it will weigh as much or more than the current Shelby but with less HP IMO.

Anyways...glad I got that 2013 Shelby GT500 sitting in the garage!! :rockon:

On what planet does your GT500 weigh 3400lb? :p

blackvette101

Established Member
Remember the base mustang GT can not get away with using exotic materials like the SVT model can. with the base S550 weighing 3700 and no power adder adding weight to the SVT car I don't see why 35-3600 is not doable. With the price range these are going to sell in they can probably get away with a lot more lightweight parts and generous use of carbon fiber.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Remember the base mustang GT can not get away with using exotic materials like the SVT model can. with the base S550 weighing 3700 and no power adder adding weight to the SVT car I don't see why 35-3600 is not doable. With the price range these are going to sell in they can probably get away with a lot more lightweight parts and generous use of carbon fiber.

This is what I was going to say. They could do the aluminum bodied treatment with a carbon fiber roof, use more lightweight components, etc and get away with it because it will be a limited car. Could get more expensive but maybe they can work some magic. I'm betting the SVT will be lighter than even the GT.

guarnibl

Established Member

If there's no supercharger involved -- there's potential, but it's a slim possibility IMO. They would have to have massive cost savings from not having a power adder on the car (and reduced cooling requirements) that could be utilized on expensive light weight materials such as proper forged wheels, brake setup (carbon ceramic), lightweight aluminum / carbon fiber. But they would pretty much have to make a decision on power vs weight. I don't think Ford's intention is to have this car cost a ton more than the current one maxes out at (~$72k ish MSRP).

IMO, I think there's a slim possibility we will see the car hit ~550 HP and be 3600 lb. Not for under $80,000 anyway (I'm assuming IRS).

Last edited:

guarnibl

Established Member
This is what I was going to say. They could do the aluminum bodied treatment with a carbon fiber roof, use more lightweight components, etc and get away with it because it will be a limited car. Could get more expensive but maybe they can work some magic. I'm betting the SVT will be lighter than even the GT.

The SVT car is not all that limited production -- and Ford wants to sell more, not less, now that they're also sending them overseas... I think this is likely a pipe dream. Ford will keep the weight where it is -- there's no financial incentive for them to lower it. This is probably the most important point you need to look at when asking yourself what they're going to do.

In order to sell this vehicle in other markets, Ford needs to consider those markets, when producing here. So I won't count anything out -- but I just don't see the weight going lower....but perhaps we'll see a cobra in N/A form once again. They're going to add a good amount of weight with IRS... so they'll need to save weight somewhere just to get it back to where it was in 2014. The options for that are going to be going all motor, or lighter weight materials -- or a mixture.

Last edited:

blackvette101

Established Member
If there's no supercharger involved -- there's potential, but it's a slim possibility IMO. They would have to have massive cost savings from not having a power adder on the car (and reduced cooling requirements) that could be utilized on expensive light weight materials such as proper forged wheels, brake setup (carbon ceramic), lightweight aluminum / carbon fiber. But they would pretty much have to make a decision on power vs weight. I don't think Ford's intention is to have this car cost a ton more than the current one maxes out at (~$72k ish MSRP).

IMO, I think there's a slim possibility we will see the car hit ~550 HP and be 3600 lb. Not for under $80,000 anyway (I'm assuming IRS).

Other then ceramic brakes what makes you think they can't put that stuff in there with a msrp of 60-70k. I mean with an extra 25-30k base price over a GT that leaves plenty of room for lightweight components if there is no power adder. I mean if GM can sell a Camaro for 75k with ceramic brakes and all the lightweight goodies that are enough to come in 300 lbs lighter then the ZL1 I don't see why ford can't ditch the ceramic and sell for 65ish. (I know ZL1 is supercharged roughly 100 lbs of that 300lb loss is probably engine related.) I think 550 hp and 3600 pounds is the magic number. That gives us 6.5 lbs per hp. Z28 is 7.5 lbs per hp. ZL1 is 7.1 lbs per hp. Hell cat hasn't been released but early estimates are between 7-8 pounds per hp.

Last edited:

notch5.0

Established Member
Hellcat - base car with NO options is listed at 4,439 lbs. Adding a number of options including wheel options pushes that car's weight to over 4,500 lbs. Those numbers were officially released recently but the actual horsepower number has not been released. Does it matter much whether the official horsepower number is either 600- or - 650, when the car weighs that much? Hellcat is now described by FCA as a Grand Touring GT car- not a pony car.

Users who are viewing this thread