Weight Reduction

Sizeth3

Established Member
I know there are a few of these threads running around, was hoping to start a new one and see what some of you have done lately in the weight reduction space. I bought a digital scale, and weighed items as I removed them.

My current mods on my 2013 Mustang GT:

Removed Spare Tire - 34 lbs
Removed Trunk Tools - 1.5 lbs
Removed Factory Jack - 3.5 lbs
Removed Sound Experience Tube - 2 lbs
Removed Axle Weights - 5 lbs (this is less than other measurements I have seen online)
Removed Boss STB - 8 lbs
Removed factory chassis brace - 5 lbs
Removed Sway bar End-links and Hardware - 5 lbs
Replaced factory radiator cross member - 16.5 lbs
Removed Factory Sway Bar - 8 lbs
Replaced stock mufflers w/ GT500 mufflers - 10 lbs (5 lbs lighter each)

Running Total - 98.5 lbs

Just curious, if anyone else has anything else I might not be thinking of that will still keep the backseat in the car?

1quick

Established Member
Aluminum driveshaft is good for 18-20
Race battery 15-20 depending on what one you go with, skinny's on the front for the track are good for a lot, mine were 30lbs lighter for the pair, the rear seat weighs under 20lbs anyway

RR5.0

Established Member
After my battle with weight loss on my car I have decided to focus on losing rotating weight as it is much more effective. I am looking at doing Billet Pro Shops rear brake kit to save weight on the rotors as well as Strange Engineering's front drag brakes. The drag brakes will also allow 15" front wheels which will mean even more rotating mass savings.

DaBigBone

Established Member
Lightweight battey. Tubular K. Driveshaft. Radiator support. Easiest ones off the top of my head

Sizeth3

Established Member
After my battle with weight loss on my car I have decided to focus on losing rotating weight as it is much more effective. I am looking at doing Billet Pro Shops rear brake kit to save weight on the rotors as well as Strange Engineering's front drag brakes. The drag brakes will also allow 15" front wheels which will mean even more rotating mass savings.

Very cool, first I have seen of the rear kit. Any downside to running it?

Lightweight battey. Tubular K. Driveshaft. Radiator support. Easiest ones off the top of my head

Everything I have read about the Tubular K is it increase noise and vibration in the car, any truth to that? Also, do you have a battery recommendation?

DaBigBone

Established Member
I've ridden in a car with the tubular K and the only NVH i've noticed was at idle. I think the majority of people that complain about NVH haven't installed it 100% correctly or something isn't lined up right.

I'd recommend Braille batteries. They've got quite a few options on their site

slow306stang

Established Member
Premium Member
Im running the braille 17lb battery with mount and it has treated me well so far. Dont expect to fire the car up after sitting a few weeks at 30 degrees.

BPS rad support was 7lbs lighter than steeda's
Aerospace pro street front brakes are a 36lb reduction
Washer fluid tank is 7lbs if full
JPC tubular front bumper
Tubular k with a arms was worth 33lbs
Front seats are heavy at around 65lbs a piece. Corbeaus netted me a 60lb savings
Gt500 mufflers are heavy. There are lighter ones but nothing sounds as clean as gt500's
Hoods dont save any weight
A/C delete
Manual rack to replace the electric p/s
Aluminum driveshaft
Light clutch and flywheel
Drag wheels

GBCoyote

Established Member
Don't forget to include yourselves. You can go faster by losing weight and carrying a smaller gun. Pro tip of the day.

kdaly

Established Member
I've got most of the lightweight mods. Makes a huge difference with everything. Only thing I didnt do is the sway delete, bumpers and A Arms.. Arm's you need the boss steering rack... Too expensive for a few pounds. The only one I felt individually is the swapping of seats. Everything else I didnt notice a difference. However everything adds up and it is a much different car and how it feels on its feet from where I started before removing all the weight.

Last edited:

Sizeth3

Established Member
Anyone have a how to on how to remove the factory front sway bar?

If you're deleting your swaybar, buy one of these:

bmr-rs002r_2274.jpg

The BMR Radiator Support / Sway Bar Delete shaves a lot of weight off of the nose of the car. In my case, I was able to remove the factory sway bar (8 lbs), End links and hardware (5 lbs), chassis brace (5 lbs), and factory cross member (16.5 lbs).

The BMR piece weighs 5.5 lbs, for a total weight savings of 29 lbs.

I had so much fun doing this, I wish there was more for me to do lol :). The nose of the car definitely comes up a lot faster.

2003mach1

Established Member

The BPS rear kit drops 15lbs. I've done 2 of them. It's pretty nice. It uses rotors for a 96-04 mustang.
I've also been swapping over to the aluminum diff cover from 99-04 cars. they're 1.48 lbs lighter.

Sizeth3

Established Member
The BPS rear kit drops 15lbs. I've done 2 of them. It's pretty nice. It uses rotors for a 96-04 mustang.
I've also been swapping over to the aluminum diff cover from 99-04 cars. they're 1.48 lbs lighter.

How much smaller are those rear brake rotors compared to a 13 GT? Noticeable?

2003mach1

Established Member
I don't remember. I don't think they are much smaller, they are just thinner and the offset is different.(they sit farther inward)
A lot of the weight loss is the caliper bracket its self. (the stock is cast iron and the BPS is aluminum)

2003mach1

Established Member
I found where i weighed the parts in grams...

Stock rotors 5879.6 new rotors 4730.9
stock caliper brackets 2206.4 BPS brackets 226.9
stock shield 294.6

Steel diff cover 1135.2 99-04 cover 459.7

t660

Established Member
Rear seat delete kits are advertised at 30lb weight reduction.

Been thinking about doing that and mounting my bottle inside the vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread