Weird steering issue after lowering/LT install

ed209

Established Member
Hey guys, I've run into a weird issue and I wanted to see if any of you were having the same problem. I recently installed a set of JBA long tubes along with some tokico d-specs and steeda ultralites (i used camber bolts). I'm fairly certain I did everything right and I had the car aligned the moment it came off the lift. The issue I am having is that I get a pretty noticeable vibration in the steering wheel on every right hand turn and that the steering input to the right is NOTICEABLY heavier to the right than it is to the left. In fact, midway through a left-hand turn I can almost feel something uncouple and the steering starts to feel normal again. I've checked and rechecked everything and nothing seems to be rubbing anywhere, can anyone tell me if I am missing something?

ed209

Established Member
I read about the possibility of the strut mounts binding, I used 500 strut mounts on my car, the stockers were pretty much shot after 4000 miles. Also, I checked the steering shaft and everything seems to be put together right...

98ATLBlueCobra

Established Member
I had a problem with this after taking a left hand turn. As I was almost through the turn it almost felt like i had a flat tire on the front left it was shaking and stuff bad then it stopped it did it again up the road from there but stopped and hasnt done it since. I have steeda springs on my 2012 GT. The strut mount issue sounds like the fix but if you get GT500 strut mounts dont you have to get different struts?

ed209

Established Member
Yes, I changed the struts as well, Tokico D-Specs. I've just finished a few things and about to take the car for another run, see if anything loosens up. In all fairness I have only put about 20 miles on since the work was done...

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
I just had takico d-specs, steeda sport springs, and steeda 2011/2012 heavy duty mounts installed last night, and i don't have this issue at all, something is truly wrong with your strut install. There is no easy fix, tear it down and re install it. I'm not using any camber bolts, the steeda h/d mounts allowed for the alignment to get near to perfect. This set up is awesome!!!!

Last edited:

ed209

Established Member
Yea, I'm gonna have to go through it again, the steering wheel definitely sticks on hard right hand turns. The setup is pretty good other than that, car handles well but that sticking isn't right and is going to bother me until I fix it.

ed209

Established Member
So now i'm thinking its weak factory mounts causing the tubes to rub on the steering shaft when I turn right. Anyone here tried shimming the motor up with washers? Or is this not a good idea?

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
Have you verified any of the tubes actually rubbing on the steering shaft? I read that someone shimmed their motor mounts up for clearance, dont remember where though and what the results were from doing that

ed209

Established Member
i put the car on the lift again and ran the wheel back and forth but i didn't see anything rubbing, but with weight off the car completely it would be hard to tell, i noticed that they are very close though. of note, i did notice that with all the weight off the car the steering was fine which implies to me that the issue isn't related to the steering shaft or strut mounts...

908ssp

Established Member
I wouldn't shim the stock mounts they are garbage way too soft. Switch to a urethane mount they are all more or less alike but the adjustable ones from Steeda make sense. I lowered my motor 3/4" with my urethane mounts and it fits fine but most headered cars can handle 1/2" lower.

Chuck@Evolution

Established Member
check to make sure the steering shaft bolt is in in the right direction. there is a threaded side and a no threaded side to the knuckle. if you start the bolt in on the threaded side you will not actually tighten the knuckle down on the shaft. put the bolt in on the side with no threads

ed209

Established Member
copy, i will check the bolt again just to make sure. sorry, i didn't understand what you meant at first jymbo. thanks guys.

ed209

Established Member
yea, steering shaft is hitting the #3 pipe, missed it earlier i guess. new set of mounts are on order. thanks for your help everyone, case closed, OEM ford parts are shit.

Users who are viewing this thread