Welcome your photography feedback

Driver500

Established Member
So I'm trying to continue improving my photography.

When I first started I was tempted to jack up the contrast and black level to go for a less accurate but more stylized picture.

That resulted in pics like this.
IMG_1155-2.jpg

IMG_1163-1.jpg

IMG_1180-1.jpg

Since then I've dialed back the editing to end up with a more natural photo, but still haven't quite gotten the results I'm after.

These are a couple from my latest effort from the Monte Carlo thread.

gNoFr1.jpg

Y66DAI.jpg

To me they are more natural, but still don't quite have that super slick look other people are able to get. The light didn't help in some of the Monte Pics. Mid day sun with hard surfaces all around.

Camera for the Monte was a Canon t3I. Camera for the first pics was a Canon non DSLR 10MP.

What do you guys think on the difference in the editing style? Ideas on improving?

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
Honest advice? Forget editing. Learn how to take a better pre-processed photo. Post can make a good picture great, but it can't make a bad picture good.

To start - Focus on lighting. In your Monte pics, you're either shooting towards your light source, or at an odd angle to it, creating shadows on your subject. This kills detail, dulls the color, and creates hot spots and glares on the areas that are catching light. If part of the car is lit and part isn't, as in the second photo, it also makes it much more difficult to properly expose the entire subject.

Humboldt1498

Established Member
Like Hybred said, start by thinking more about lighting. If you're going to regularly shot cars look into a circular polarizing filter too.

punchit

Established Member
Not to hijack the thread but this might help both of us. I think we both need the basics and wanted to get some opinions from the pro's. I have a canon d60 and have seen multiple threads with tortorial after tortorial but it is very overwhelming. Where can one start with just the basics of learning the camera other then the owners manual?

mi_l123

JDM = Just Dust ME
Established Member
Not to hijack the thread but this might help both of us. I think we both need the basics and wanted to get some opinions from the pro's. I have a canon d60 and have seen multiple threads with tortorial after tortorial but it is very overwhelming. Where can one start with just the basics of learning the camera other then the owners manual?

youtube

Users who are viewing this thread