Well, I followed through with my threat...

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
heres an older bmw with the rat grill, i LOL'd when I saw it.
O1CN01yC8iNP1XUbx29daGB_76892927.jpg

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Oh, man, now I've got the rodent's beak embedded in my brain. LOL.

I'm not a fan of the new front grill, but the rest of the car is nice. Repairs are expensive once you're out of warranty, but you already know that. I hope you continue to enjoy it. You certainly asked all of the right questions and researched your purchase before pulling the trigger.

Edit: Like you said, the front grill on the '21 has those who love it, and those who hate it. I remember back in 2014 when I bought my Mini Cooper S there was the same polarization on its size and styling. And it front grill. I liked the car, ignored the negatives and really enjoyed it for 3 years. I always say, "buy what you like, and like what you buy"! ;)

Last edited:

My94GT

Established Member
Congrats on taking the plunge. You’ll likely enjoy the car plenty. The looks are definitely subjective. Personally the more I see pics of the new M3 the more it’s starting to grow on me. I think I could look past it in darker colors vs the cars performance abilities and manual transmission option.

MDShelby

Established Member
Premium Member
Well, I wasn't quite expecting such a response - or was I?

I have talked to a number of people about the front grill. Some BMW people, some not. The vast majority were put off by the grill, but it grew on them. People don't like change and this was quite the change. I was ambivalent about it from the get go, but I have grown to like it. You know what it is when you see it, like it or not.

Most of my neighbors thought I had put black wheels on my Mustang, as the profile is very similar. Then they realized it isn't the Mustang. Again the grill was a dead giveaway. They haven't said it, but I suspect they appreciate the more quiet nature of start ups in the AM.

I know this is not everybody's thing, especially in this forum. But it is my thing and I am enjoying it. And plan to for a good long while.

I have enjoyed ALL the comments, keep them coming.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
......Most of my neighbors thought I had put black wheels on my Mustang, as the profile is very similar. Then they realized it isn't the Mustang. Again the grill was a dead giveaway. They haven't said it, but I suspect they appreciate the more quiet nature of start ups in the AM.

I know this is not everybody's thing, especially in this forum. But it is my thing and I am enjoying it. And plan to for a good long while.

I have enjoyed ALL the comments, keep them coming.
Now that you mention it, your BMW does have a profile similar to the Mustang.

And yep, it's your thing and you're enjoying it! That, sir, is all that matters. Have fun driving it this summer. By the way, how do you like it power wise?

MDShelby

Established Member
Premium Member
Now that you mention it, your BMW does have a profile similar to the Mustang.

And yep, it's your thing and you're enjoying it! That, sir, is all that matters. Have fun driving it this summer. By the way, how do you like it power wise?
So far, so good, I haven't been able to drive it for fun yet. It has drive modes and I have fallen in love with the Sport mode already. Nicer sound than Comfort mode, the default. Thanks!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That's what I've found with my Comfort/Sport modes. Slightly nicer sound. But the throttle response is night and day different between the two. Hence the reduced fuel mileage in Sport mode. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread