Well paying Independent Contractor Gigs?

rborden

Established Member
I am a safety manager for a Transportation Company. The job security is above average, the pay is average, the hours are ridiculous, benefits are below average but that’s not much of a concern. Been here for 12 years.

Seems like I all I ever do is work, work, work. Even on my days off I typically have to go in for a few hours and deal with someone else’s catastrophe.

Financially I’m in a good spot. Very little debt. Just a small car payment ($200 a month) and the usual monthly bills.

Looking for something where I can work from home or be mobile and if I need to take a take a day off, I can without being hassled or having to justify it.

Uber and Lyft are ok as far as supplementing my income if needs be but not the primary gig I am looking for.

One of the fields I’m looking at is being a national signing agent as well as getting my notary public. Based upon conversations with some current signing agents I’ve gathered they can make anywhere from $900 a week to $1800 a week. Each signing pays about $75 - $150 per signing. I like the flexibility and if you don’t want the assignment you simply say no and they go to the next person. If you want the day off to go do whatever you can and no one asks why you’re not working.

I’d like to hear from you all with other ideas for independent contractor jobs that make decent money ($75,000 would be very comfortable) where you can take time off if you need it without a ton of oversight. Basically being my own boss, but not starting a business with a shop and hiring employees.

Anything that might require a certificate or license with some class/tests or training. Not interested in driving commercial as in a truck or bus.

At this point in my life, I need more me time, take care of some things health wise and in my personal life and have a balance if that makes sense?

I’m not lazy by any means, but to put it in the proper terms, I’d rather work smarter and not harder.

Thanks in advance.

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
Isn't 90% of your time sitting at a desk?

Just asking, since I Was a safety manager for a transportation company also.. and well.. unless something went wrong, I was stuck behind a desk lol

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
if you have a job right now, you better hang on to it for dear life. Shit is about to get REAL bad.

Good advice.

One of my closest friends is a safety manager for YRC Freight. I used to work for YRC 20 years ago as a branch manager and know exactly what its like working for a Transportation Co lol. LONG hours is a gross understatement.

The way i see it OP... could be worse. You could be in Operations. Talk about pressure and expectations to perform. WHoa.

Safety is a pretty sweet gig.

However........ I am now a contractor that works at home. The freedom is awesome, pay is great, tax benefits are very good being 1099. However you DO miss interacting with people and being part of a larger team. I miss that a lot actually.

Figure out something you can do that aligns with your expertise on the outside (safety) and go it your own.

rborden

Established Member
Isn't 90% of your time sitting at a desk?

Just asking, since I Was a safety manager for a transportation company also.. and well.. unless something went wrong, I was stuck behind a desk lol

You would be correct Sir.

The mountain of paperwork I am constantly stuck behind is never ending. Reports, insurance claims and adjusters paperwork, police reports, training classes, updating training material and presentations, getting photos of damage from drivers. Wish they would allow me to hire an administrative assistant so I can climb out, but that’s not in the company budget at the moment.

Just tired of the rat race is all.

if you have a job right now, you better hang on to it for dear life. Shit is about to get REAL bad.

I’m not quitting anything as of now, but if there are training modules and tests to get certifications I can be doing on a computer to prepare myself for when things turn around, I can sacrifice an hour or two of my free time. I tend to be on the proactive side of life, just trying to figure out the direction I eventually want to go.

Sounds like you may still live at home. Give your head a shake, and be glad you still have a job.

No, I don’t live at home. My parents are deceased.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
The mountain of paperwork I am constantly stuck behind is never ending. Reports, insurance claims and adjusters paperwork, police reports, training classes, updating training material and presentations, getting photos of damage from drivers. Wish they would allow me to hire an administrative assistant so I can climb out, but that’s not in the company budget at the moment.

Just tired of the rat race is all.

I'm right there with you, I'm stuck under mountains of paperwork 90% of the time also. Honestly an office desk job isn't what it's jacked up to be.

rborden

Established Member
Hell right now transportation is needed in an insane way and always will

Understandable. Just wanting something different, less accountability and more flexibility.

You only live once and I don’t want to spend it all working.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Hell right now transportation is needed in an insane way and always will

Yep im pretty busy. Transportation is/has always been a leading indicator of the economy. Great industry to be in but tough work no doubt.

I really cant see it going away in our lifetime.

VENOM1

6.0MAN
Established Member
Doesn’t sound like it would fit you well, but there are several well paying sales based positions that are not only telecommute but also sub-contracting.

About a year ago I switch from a salaried/company car/company cell/plus commissions based role to being self employed as an independent contractor and honestly haven’t looked back.

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
Understandable. Just wanting something different, less accountability and more flexibility.

You only live once and I don’t want to spend it all working.

dont we all...

take it from someone who tried that..

.. and is now jobless after getting out of transportation. Stick with it

Users who are viewing this thread