Well sh*t, engine tapping

buddha93

Established Member
So took the car for a spin over the weekend, not much fanfare, romped on it a few times and later noticed a misfire of sorts with certain throttle postions, but drove fine otherwise. Then I heard the significant tapping under the car, drivers side towards the back.

I can say with pretty much 100 percent confidence it's a lash adjuster, no telling which one, but from where's its coming from it's on cylinder 7 or 8. I can't imagine there's an issue with the valve or follower that it's associated with, as I believe the adjuster to be the root cause. Agree or disagree?

That said, while looks to be a PITA to perform this work with the engine in the car and getting the valve cover off past the brake booster, anyone done this before? Any thoughts, tips/tricks welcome.

69b302

Established Member
I have pulled the driver side cover, by dropping k-member vs booster removal. You are best to get the specific valve compressor tools designed for the 4V heads. If you have a lift, dropping the engine/trans is not that much work and can be done in a few hours.

buddha93

Established Member
Thanks for the info.

I started the car the day after I put it up, it was going in and out, assuming it was priming up here and there, you could see/hear the flucatuions in the rpm at idle. Was going to move it to the back of the garage this evening and now it's completely stopped altogether ever after letting it get up to temp.

I'm going to monitor a bit here, it's do for an oil change, car only has 14k miles on it. Parts are cheap, just wasn't planning on this for a winter weekend project! :mad:

buddha93

Established Member
Thanks for the info.

I started the car the day after I put it up, it was going in and out, assuming it was priming up here and there, you could see/hear the flucatuions in the rpm at idle. Was going to move it to the back of the garage this even and now it's completely stopped altogether ever after letting it get up to temp.

I'm going to monitor a bit here, it's do for an oil change, car only has 14k miles on it. Parts are cheap, just wasn't planning on this for a winter weekend project! :mad:

In case anyone was curious what it sounds like, dead nuts what this members car was doing:

buddha93

Established Member
So update if anyone ever runs into this and wants to attempt this themselves, handy tool to have for the money.

Hardest part is getting the valve cover off, which is nothing new. Few methods of getting it out, I just removed the brake booster to give plenty of room to work. Plan on a weekend if this is your first time doing it.

No clue which one is failing as they were all under pressure when I pulled them but still suspect cylinder 7 or 8.

buddha93

Established Member
Well, struck out on this one...............car is doing the same exact thing. Got me scratching my head a bit. It's really on and off, doesn't matter if the engine is cold or hot. It does it about 75 percent of the time, this is a good video of it doing it for a extended amount of time with a few spots where it clears out:

Going for round 2 tear down, if I can't come up with any other ideas. I'm going to recheck the followers, though I inspected them closely when they were out of the car last time. Really can't help but think there is a oil flow issue to one of the lasher galleys, but just taking a best guess here.

Last edited:

buddha93

Established Member
Right? Super aggrevating. Could definitely be worse with a some seriously broken crap, just not making heads or tails of it at this point.

SCALILOU

Established Member
I keep replaying the video. It sounds like cam follower maybe. Hard to tell, but lash is more of a slight ticking, yours is more of a loud tapping, cam follower.
Right? Super aggrevating. Could definitely be worse with a some seriously broken crap, just not making heads or tails of it at this point.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

buddha93

Established Member
You are correct, this isn't even close to being a ticket at all, very much an oh shit tapping sound.

Other than an oiling issue not feeding a lasher consistantly, it's the only thing that's left I can think of that would make this sort of contact noise. I would think even a sticky valve would be more of a ticking noise. It's only $250 for one side, but just don't wanna throw parts at it without having as much info as possible. I inspected the followers very closely, but one looked for visible signs of wear and any excessive movement in the roller. No experte here, just using some common sense.

That's for the reply, I'm trying to get as many ears on this as possible, as I don't have years of experenice with this DOHC stuff, I'm just an old pushrod guy. :)

Lx408

Hey Buddha, I watched your video and my car sounds exactly the same but doesn’t do it all the time and generally when it does, it’s after warmed up a little. Mine is a ‘13, bought it with 3500 miles in 2018. Put about 2000 miles on it so far and this drives me insane. Several people posted about having this issue but not too many stated if they gives it and what the problem was. One I read ended up being a loose spark plug and the head had to be repaired. The other was a YouTube video, I believe the channel was grey hair garage, his issue was the timing chain tensioner was making contact on the head casting and wasn’t able to extend, he had to grind the head casting a little to clear. Maybe check those out if you haven’t already. Let me know if you find the cause of this.

buddha93

Established Member
That's a new one, haven't heard that one yet. I saw the post about the spark plug, I only wish it was that easy. I don't believe this is anything timing chain relates, the sound is too far back in the motor and with the miss, it still leads me to believe valvetrain.

I've not messed with it since I changed the lashers, not getting in a hurry to just throw parts at the car unless it makes sense. I'm going to figure it out one way or another, debating it I want to try followers next or not. Ideally I want to pin it down to the offending cylinder.

Hang around, I'll post up any progress.

Lx408

2014 GT500 w/ Engine Noise = Solved!

This is the thread I mentioned although I believe your assumption is correct and it’s valve train related. It would’ve been good if they had captured the noise in the video before fixing it.
I’ll definitely be checking in here and will add anything else I find.

buddha93

Established Member
Damn, that's some crazy shit right there. Not having heard what it sounded like before I can't say 100 percent, but they're saying chain noise which I'm familar with, so I would guess it had a different noise. Good stuff nontheless.

buddha93

Established Member
Ya, lot of guys think exhaust, but this is a definite metal on metal tapping that comes and goes that effects the engine with a slight stumble when it's occuring.

Users who are viewing this thread