Well that didn't last long!! Cracked a piston last night.

grnenvy

Established Member
I'm not real sure on your tuning situation but I can't express the need for hands on tuning when cars are modded to this extent. I have done the data log thing going back and fourth with emails and it's just a PITA. Cars need to be tuned on the dyno then need to be tested on the street. When running a pwr adder things go wrong so very fast.
Good luck and sorry for the loss.

TexasStang4585

Snake eater
Established Member
I'm not real sure on your tuning situation but I can't express the need for hands on tuning when cars are modded to this extent. I have done the data log thing going back and fourth with emails and it's just a PITA. Cars need to be tuned on the dyno then need to be tested on the street. When running a pwr adder things go wrong so very fast.
Good luck and sorry for the loss.

I totally disagree.....

My hands on local dyno tune sucked and that was after taking it back 3 time's/doing datalog's as well.....The best I could muster up after 3x at the track was a 11.1 at 125mph.

Shaun with AED did all my tuning doing street log's and the first time I ran a 10.3 at 136 and my last outing I ran a 10.04 at 135. I much rather have a remote tune from someone that know's the end's and out than a local guy that doesn't have to much experience with the coyote motor.

Here's a thread from a couple months ago showing the difference in the power band between the two tune's.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...tried-koolaid-i-must-admit-its-damn-good.html

Last edited:

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
Remote tuning is fine as long as they don't send you a horrible base tune and you follow the proper data logging procedures.

cmsnake

Established Member
I totally disagree.....

My hands on local dyno tune sucked and that was after taking it back 3 time's/doing datalog's as well.....The best I could muster up after 3x at the track was a 11.1 at 125mph.

Shaun with AED did all my tuning doing street log's and the first time I ran a 10.3 at 136 and my last outing I ran a 10.04 at 135. I much rather have a remote tune from someone that know's the end's and out than a local guy that doesn't have to much experience with the coyote motor.

Here's a thread from a couple months ago showing the difference in the power band between the two tune's.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...tried-koolaid-i-must-admit-its-damn-good.html
You cant compare a dyno tune from someone who is guessing vs a remote tune from one of the best in the industry. The point is a dyno tune from a knowledgeable coyote tuner will always be best IMO. Especially FI.

grnenvy

Established Member
Hmm

I do agree with u if u can't find someone local that is really good then u have no other choice.
But I would bet that if u took your car to Shaun he could squeeze a little more out of it somewhere. Also if your car is an auto it's almost impossible to get the around town shift points the way they really should be unless the tuner is in the drivers seat making changes. Glade your car worked out your probable on the ball with it.

I totally disagree.....

D.T.R

Established Member
I totally disagree.....

Wait a min, so you picked up almost 1 whole second, and 10mph from just a better tune? :eek:

bam2012@TBR

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
That first tune must have been pure crap. I have had AED (n/a) and LUND remote tuning paxton, and there is a local tuner that tunes 5.0's pretty well. I still go with Lund and recommend both tuners to all my local friends.

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
Just to clarify.... Steven is a good guy and I enjoyed working with him.

When we send out start up files, they are primary for the owner to get to a dyno or start the logging/testing stage. You can drive on it but we request that the car is not beaten on. We always start with Step Test. Many can agree and back me up on this. It's usually a few before we even let the car go half throttle. It is advised to all customers on all set ups. Not just power adders.

I can't fault where the tune came from. It was a base map. I really shouldn't have went WOT on it at all.

It is what it is. I posted it up so if it goes I'll just take a break and pay off some debt before I start another project.

Specs from a previous post.

Brand: Hellion TT
PSI: 7
Exhaust Upgrades:Custom 3", Roush AB's
Under the hood Upgrades:
Injectors (brand/LB): ID1000's
Tuner/Tune: BBR BASEMAP E-mail Tune on SCT
Additional Upgrades or...

BBR "Start up File" is the correct term as I use. You can drive them but but crazy.

O_O you guys creepers, lol. I'm not pointing fingers. I'm not sure why i had this intermittent leaning out thing going on, maybe it was the ecu resetting back to stoich like was previously said? IDK.

Just sucks too because I sent them logs to receive a revision and it was e-mailed to me this morning. :(

1st Log was sent to us and the 1st revised was sent back within 24hrs. The tune was purchased in August and the datalogging didn't start till September. (Just under month in actual days) There was dyno pull videos posted on here during that time too (not tuning sessions)

Yeaaaaaa I'm leaning towards just sending the car to JPC in a few weeks and letting them pull it apart and going from there...

With them being local. You are in great hands

we will get it all fixed up.

I do not think the block is bad as i originally thought

may only need a .010 over we are cleaning it up now

:rockon:

We will be dyno tuning the car so i think hes going to be ok :beer:

We always enjoy working with and helping JPC when we can. I am glad they are close and able to get your car taken care of.

OP, if you have any questions, you can still email or call. Still here to help.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

OveRBoreD

Established Member
Steve and the guys at BBR were great to work with. I probably had 4-5 revisions with them off my start-up file with each one of them getting better. Not to mention the 50 calls I probably made to them where they never gave me any pushback even though I probably deserved it at times. I am guilty of going out and hammering the car off the startup file. I got lucky really that this isn't my thread. I can tell you the start-up file was rough but that's how it is with START-UP files on a car that was not designed for all this rearranging and addition of parts. I will have no problem going to them at a later date especially if they were more local. On the same note a dyno tune is better.

grnenvy

Established Member
Hmm

Well said TexasStang and well taken Steven. This is a very expensive sport IMOP to expensive for mail order tunes especially when your pushing the Turbo or Blower to the max. I don't care what anyone says at the shop in the hands of a real tuner there's nothing better.

Nah you're not being a dick. You're 100% right. It's good a lesson for most. I mean it's all relative though. I have a 2013 Elantra as a daily, so in theory the car could have sat for however long without me touching it while I got the funds together. Work has just been slow lately and it's hit me in the pockets hard. I've cut back in a few ways, got rid of the motorcycle earlier this year, I don't go out as much. I've had to.

I'm not cheeping out here. It's just I don't feel comfortable boring it out and I just feel like if I'm going to spend $1800 on internals and machine work, I'd rather go ALL OUT and do a sleeved motor, trans, etc... Being that I def can't reasonably swing all of that right now, I think keeping the power level down on a boss setup is a better idea. Who knows, I may even just leave it on E85 all the time and put the car around 700whp and keep it that way. I'm going to see how it goes. I thought it would last on the stock motor for at least 2014 and I wouldn't be doing this until next winter. I'm strapped for car $ because I had JUST got the TT and got it in, and it was a big expense. I can only spend so much on the car every 6 months ya know. Bills have to come first!!

Last edited:

StevenStarke

Fast/Reliable/Cheap pick2
Established Member
To all of the people whining about the tune:

From what I read, AED is a great tuner and real good at tuning over the net. People keep chiming with comments about their cars running fine with AED tunes. Yes, most of your cars have Bolt ons and e-mail tunes are no issue. For the record, i did PM AED, and he was not willing to tune the car over e-mail being that it was turbo, which is completely understandable. JPC doesn't do e-mail tunes on turbo cars either. It's probably for reasons JUST LIKE THIS. Because when something goes around, everyone wants to point their finger at the tuner.

I work at a performance shop and we tune 5-8 cars a week (mostly hondas). Its the same thing here, for some reason, the tuner is automatically MARRIED to every car they touch. That's not the case.

My car had a weird issue. It would be rich and safe but then only on a repeated pull in 4th or 5th would it lean out. I had a very casual conversation with Steve where he thought that maybe my wideband sensor was off and/or just being delayed. We weren't sure. But in that convo he DID SAY "BUT DON'T BEAT ON IT, LETS GET THE REVISIONS DONE".

BBR goes out on a limb tuning these cars through e-mail. That doesn't make them 150% responsible if something goes wrong. They suggested I take it easy on the car. It's a BASE MAP, START UP FILE, whatever you want to call it. It's not meant to be beat on. I've said this in numerous threads already.

Now that the car is at JPC, and they're putting a boss motor in, it makes sense for them to tune it on the spot, because tuning on the spot is better than tuning through e-mail (when possible).

I didn't make this thread or post pics to bash BBR in any way. I can't speak for other peoples' experiences with them. But I can't blame them for what happened. I was gambling with this on a stock motor already and then further risked it by beating on it on a base map when they said not to. Plain and simple.

svt04cobra1

Established Member
To all of the people whining about the tune:

From what I read, AED is a great tuner and real good at tuning over the net. People keep chiming with comments about their cars running fine with AED tunes. Yes, most of your cars have Bolt ons and e-mail tunes are no issue. For the record, i did PM AED, and he was not willing to tune the car over e-mail being that it was turbo, which is completely understandable. JPC doesn't do e-mail tunes on turbo cars either. It's probably for reasons JUST LIKE THIS. Because when something goes around, everyone wants to point their finger at the tuner.

I work at a performance shop and we tune 5-8 cars a week (mostly hondas). Its the same thing here, for some reason, the tuner is automatically MARRIED to every car they touch. That's not the case.

My car had a weird issue. It would be rich and safe but then only on a repeated pull in 4th or 5th would it lean out. I had a very casual conversation with Steve where he thought that maybe my wideband sensor was off and/or just being delayed. We weren't sure. But in that convo he DID SAY "BUT DON'T BEAT ON IT, LETS GET THE REVISIONS DONE".

BBR goes out on a limb tuning these cars through e-mail. That doesn't make them 150% responsible if something goes wrong. They suggested I take it easy on the car. It's a BASE MAP, START UP FILE, whatever you want to call it. It's not meant to be beat on. I've said this in numerous threads already.

Now that the car is at JPC, and they're putting a boss motor in, it makes sense for them to tune it on the spot, because tuning on the spot is better than tuning through e-mail (when possible).

I didn't make this thread or post pics to bash BBR in any way. I can't speak for other peoples' experiences with them. But I can't blame them for what happened. I was gambling with this on a stock motor already and then further risked it by beating on it on a base map when they said not to. Plain and simple.

Well said man!!!! I happen to live local to BBR and Chris has done an excellent job with tuning my TT 5.0. I recently converted my car to E85 and to be honest we are still working on fine tuning. Its safe, I race it, beat on it, etc, with no issues. Its really tough to restrain from pushing the go pedal but when you have a new motor or new setup, you just have to hold back until you get the blessing from your tuner its safe to beat on the car!!!! A starter file is just that, a place to start, data log, then fine tune!! Best of luck with JPC, your in good hands i'm sure. :beer:

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member

Good post and one people should pay attention to. It's called a base map for a reason.

Snakenhorse

new svt poster
Established Member
It really seems that what really killed your motor was the BAP. Those things are a complete unreliable garbage and I got lucky because almost lost my motor after mine failed. I also could not believe the big mistake i did by buying one..

Turbos especially, need a lot of fuel on the high rpms and on an already very efficient coyote motor which the gains are enormous with no more than a couple lbs of boost so things can go wrong very quick.

My friend with the paxton ( ALKHEINZ ) also broke the motor due to a faulty BAP on his paxton set up.

I went with the JPC dual fuel system for now and will be even upgrading to their triple system next year to run the E-98 or E 85 and be safe. These cars need a reliable source of fuel pressure and volume under boost and I would recomend to everyone to buy a fuel system besides the injectors even before buying the supercharger or the turbo kit.

Ask JPC to inspect the boost a pump and let us know if that was the motor killer.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread