Well that didn't take long

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
I absolutely would NOT meet with the driver, this is now an insurance and police matter.

Saying he lost his job and needs it to feed his family, what if this were him turning a corner too tight and ran over a kid on a bicycle or someone standing on a street corner waiting to cross ? **** him and his job, you don’t owe him anything.

HillbillyHotRod

Hooligan rabble rouser
Established Member
That really sucks. I am no way a body man but it looks like he just caught the corner. Does not take much these days to do a lot of damage. Definetly have the frame checked.

_Snake_

Established Member
If it wasn't a compact space the tuck would of not hit it?? lol So I made a police report, we have it on film, driver just called me through my work on his cell literally crying that his company just fired him and he is being charged with hit and run, he told me his family depends on him having a truckers lic. and if i could drop the charges lol, I told him that when you hit someones car, you STOP and find out who the owner is, needles to say I am happy it was caught on film and the driver is coming clean. Police are coming tomorrow to review the film at 9am, I told the driver to meet me at work tomorrow at 9am and we can talk it over lol

Don’t do it. It becomes a civil matter after that. You’re screwing yourself if you even meet with him to discuss it.

Edited to add - someone backed into my truck while it was in my driveway and left the scene. I found out who it was, contacted him, and told him I wouldn’t press charges if he just paid for the damages. He agreed to it, then balked when he saw the estimates. I had to take him to court to recover a PORTION of what he owed me. It was a huge pain in the ass and I was out of pocket over $500. Learn from my mistake. Don’t be the nice guy in situations like this unless you’re prepared to spend your own money to fix your car. Oh yeah - he had 30 days to pay me and showed up at 5:00 pm on the 30th day.

Last edited:

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
Yeah, I wouldn't say a word to him. Best if you just let the insurance and police handle it. He wasn't thinking about his family relying on his income when he hit your car then drove away. Maybe your family depends on that car not being in the shop for food and lights. Maybe your side hustle is doing street digs in "mexico" in the evenings... who is going to compensate you for that?

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
Yeah screw that truck driver! Make him pay for his negligence! He absolutely deserves to be fired! He needs to lose his house too while we're are at it. You just KNOW he did that shit on purpose. Loser probably drives a Camaro and hit your car solely due to his jealousy over the new '18 models. Hopefully his family will get cancer and die too. Bastard.

U.M.

P.S. You should find out where he lives and key the piss out of his truck!!!!!

1wild-horse

Purveyor of missed information
Established Member
Screw it, there are plenty of other jobs he can get I'm sure. He obviously sucked at this one.
And dont meet with him like mentioned above. Thats a bad idea.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
As others have said, do not talk to him and let the insurance deal with this. He's already lost his job, anyway. Commercial truck drivers are held to a higher standard. For good reason. He failed to maintain those high standards, and was rightfully fired. He has nobody to blame but himself. He certainly should not blame YOU for filing the police report.

T56LS102

Established Member
Thanks guys, So I left the car here at work (gated parking lot) over night, I brought the stock wheels to swap them out. I am just going to have it sent to a Mercury ins. recommended shop, I really don't want this car, I looked under the car and the frame rail is tweaked inward, hopefully that is enough to total it out. As for the driver, the hwy patrol is coming in this morning to get the drivers info, driver is also coming in this morning to give me his insurance info...After thinking about it last night I am not going to drop charges, in the case where I may need to go after the trucking co I feel I will have more leverage if I keep the charges as their driver not only hit my car but he also left the scene

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
Well, at least in my home state, before totaling is considered, 70% of the vehicles value has to be reached before claiming a total loss. I would strongly suggest you get multiple quotes from reputable body shops to compare against the insurance adjusters quotes.

I had a friend who’s CRV was in a hailstorm and there wasn’t a straight panel on the thing along with the front window being shattered. The body shop he took it to was a preferred repair shop, so his insurance company doesn’t even have an adjuster look at the vehicle. The body shop wanted to do the repairs to the CRV and told him to continue to drive the CRV with the shattered windshield because if they replaced it and broke it pulling it out to do the body repairs, he would have to pay for the windshield. They were going to put a new top on also and he wasn’t wild about that.

He took it to another body shop and they said it wasn’t worth repairing along with his adjuster who ended up totaling it out.

Watch out for crap like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smooth

Well Seasoned
Established Member
Sorry to say it but, you're probably gonna be stuck with that car. And if anybody checks the car fox when you sell it, and then does some digging to find the extent of the damage, well, good luck.

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Sorry to hear. Good luck.

Hopefully you total it. MY wife got T-boned in our brand-new STi. Low speed. Messed up the driver's side fender and door. Damaged front lower control arm. $13K in damage. Didn't total car. Car never drove right after that. Could always tell it was messed up. Hated the car after that. Traded the car in years later.

KilledbyKenne

Established Member
Sorry to say it but, you're probably gonna be stuck with that car. And if anybody checks the car fox when you sell it, and then does some digging to find the extent of the damage, well, good luck.

Yup, even trying to trade the car in the carfax will screw you.

I'm pretty much stuck in my Malibu after finding out it had been in a wreck shortly before we bought it. Books for about $11k but multiple dealerships have offered us $5k due to the carfax.

Shitty thing is, we bought the car January 2015. The accident occurred mid -2014 and didn't actually get reported to carfax until July of 2017. So when we bought the car, the carfax was clean. We only found out about the accident after we tried to make a deal on a Charger.

**** carfax, imo.

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
Do not meet with the driver! How the hell did he get your number? Did he call your employer? His employer should have known better if that's where the driver got your number. He could stalk you knowing where you work. Bad things could happen. People are nuts these days. Sounds like he is hanging by a thread. I would be VERY cautious and only deal with the police and YOUR insurance company. Good luck - I hope it all works out for you.

Users who are viewing this thread