WESTFIELD is VOIDING WARRANTY because of airfilter! PLEASE READ

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
**EDIT UPDATE - 8-21-2003: I'm not sure if Westfield did do the damage to my brake lines. I believe it came from the factory with the lines mangled, or they did it. So if your car is built on or after March 2003, check your lines for damage and see your dealer to get it fixed ASAP and contact me with info**

Original post:

At the Sunday Chicagoland Cobra meet, Dana noticed that 2 of
my brake lines are installed WRONG. It turns out that it’s the ABS controller module according to the dealerships. The brake lines are bent to hell up and around, rubbing up against the radiator hose and other parts, and the clips are hanging freely. When I looked at other Cobras there, mine looked massacred and completely run the wrong way. The work I’ve had the dealers do so far (1700 miles now):

1. Westfield Ford in IL (APRIL 03): At 200 miles, in shop for 3+ days. New brake hydrobooster, proportioning valve, windshield washer tank installed. So count – 2 brake leaks, 1 washer leak. Picked up car at 8PM. An elderly lady hands me the keys and tells me my car is in the lot. It’s dark out. I find my car in a dark corner, drive it home, and the next morning it was all scratched up in the light. I called Westfield and the service manager said I must have run the car through an automatic wash, because they hand washed it. Never would I go back there after that. They also made me pay the taxes on the rental, Westfield said they aren’t responsible for taxes!

2. Hawkinson Ford in IL: At the detailer “charlies super shine”, he notices the paint defects while he was removing the scratches caused by Westfield. I take it to Hawkinson Ford in Oak Lawn and they keep the car overnight and provide a free rental. Both front fenders were repaired under warranty by blasting out the splatters/bubbles and streaks (no repainting).

3. Three separate visits to Joe Rizza Ford in Orland Park + one oil change at 750 miles: They balance and align the wheels/tired because they were all not set right, they had the car for 7 days for new rear axles, wheel hubs, joint assemblies due to “defective machined parts from the factory”. Everything is good and Joe Rizza has done an excellent job and they have treated me great with complimentary rentals as it says in the SVT contract.

I call Joe Rizza Ford and tell them about the lines. They ask me to bring the car in ASAP because it is a safety issue. I show the paperwork on the brake repairs done by Westfield, and I told them I did not want to go back there due to my first unpleasant experience. They said OK, and the tech took my car back and determined the brake lines needed to be replaced because they were so badly bent. They phoned it into Ford for warranty, and Ford said they would not cover it. It was bad workmanship from where I had the brake repairs done (supposedly) and I need to go back to Westfield and make them eat the cost. They apologized and I was on my way.

So I call Westfield the same morning and leave work early to get the car repaired. The car never makes it back to the service tech. The service advisor says that they did not work on that part. The tech that supposedly worked on my car in APRIL came out and said he did not do that or work on that area. The service advisor asks me if I was in an accident. Of course not. Then he inquires about the fender work by Hawkinson. I said the fenders were not removed. He leaves for a while and comes back after looking at another 03 Cobra to see how they are supposed to be installed. He comes back and squats down and stares at my UPR polished radiator cover for about 1 minute. Then I say “I just put that on last week, 4 screws. It’s just a cover. I also did the oil cap, chrome pulley cover … for car shows. I hardly drive this car, this is my pleasure/Sunday car”. Then he looks at the plastic heat shield where under it is a K&N filter. Then he says “we did not do this, the person that installed this air filter did this.”. My eyes bug out: “I INSTALLED IT LAST WEEK, it’s an AIR FILTER, what does it have to do with my brake lines?!” He says it’s near the airbox, so I must have reached down and pulled the wires up on purpose! I told him he has to be kidding me, so that if my engine blows up, you’re going to void my warranty on everything because of the air filter? He says YES! Then he says this is abuse and neglect, and it is not covered by warranty. Then he starts saying at least 4 hours of labor at $90/hour! Then he starts telling me a story about some guy who had a chip and they voided his warranty. I tell him I don’t have a chip or anything, just an aftermarket K&N airfilter. Then he reverts back to saying that I pulled the brake wires (from under the frame!!) and that I have to pay for it. I’m trying to get him to explain to me how I could have done it and he says “oh it’s easy, it doesn’t take much effort” and again WHY WOULD I DO THIS? I finally yell BULL****! THIS IS BULL**** and he scribbles Ford’s 800 line on a card and gives it to me, and says that he should probably void my factory warranty because I have put an airfilter on! He really made me feel horrible, I kept telling him I didn’t do it, what am I supposed to do – and he didn’t say anything, he just stared at me like I was a fool.

I go home asap, call the 800 number and open a case. I am waiting for them to call today. I also gave them Joe Rizza’s info so they can put the story together. The Ford 800# rep called and said that Westfield is claiming abuse and neglect and my warranty will be voided. I asked for a 2nd opinion, specifically Joe Rizza Ford, and I expressed my short and not sweet history with Westfield. Then the rep says usually when the dealership says it’s neglect and abuse, it’s their word and they are right, so we void your warranty! It is being investigated further today. I told the Ford rep that how can this be, I did not do it, all I did was install an aftermarket air filter, what does that have to do with my brake wires? I hardly have any miles on the car and the miles on it are from trips to the dealerships and back.

I’m one day away from NEEDING an attorney. Anybody? Comments, advice?

Mike

Last edited:

CobraTone

Established Member
Don't put up with that BS. Raise all hell and get a lawyer up their a$$. They are being complete a$$holes and there is no reason for it. I would do everything I could so that they didn't pull that sh*t on anyone else. Good luck man, sorry for the troubles.:nonono: :gt:

mosconiac

Established Member
Very sorry to read this. Yet another dealership not owning up to their professional duty and further compounding the situation by bullying the customer with threats of loss of warantee.

I feel very bad for you...I can sympathize. I'm in a similar situation.

SmokenGRA03

SmokEater "LIVE STRONG"
Established Member
Did you call SVT??? I had some thing like this and called SVT....

msp282

I sell crack
Established Member
not sure how fast the "attorny generals" office works in Illinios but that would be my choice. it is free, and most dealers don't want to deal with them.

If you get your own lawyer involved you will be paying big $.

goodluck....

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
What do I tell SVT? I will call now if I know who to ask for and/or what to say?

i8u

Established Member
They CAN NOT void your warrenty in any aspect because of an air filter unless it caused the part to fail. I can give you documentation of this clearly stated in a svt training manual given to ford svt trained technicions. SHove that up their asses. It is truly sorry how some places treat thier customers.

'99Ranger

Established Member
Originally posted by ChicagoMike
The car never makes it back to the service tech. The service advisor says that they did not work on that part. The tech that supposedly worked on my car in APRIL came out and said he did not do that or work on that area.

So get your work order that you were given and show them that they did work on that area.

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
They claimed to have never touched that area. I don't know how to decode these service parts on the paper. I am requesting a Ford field rep

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Wow. What a mess. Like someone above said, you need to tell SVT what you posted here. And try to get the codes for the earlier work done de-coded. Can't you take your paperwork to Rizza Ford and ask them to de-code it? Isn't your warrantee work in Ford's central system? If so, I would think Rizza or any other dealer could pull it up.

What I can't figure out from your post is why the warrantee repairs you said were done by other Ford dealers is being disputed. Isn't there paperwork on the work done? If so, then how can your dealer deny the work done or say if was for something else. I'm really confused on that part.

Best of luck.

BAD03SVT

Established Member
yeah you need to get it decoded by another dealership, and have them make sure it is still in the central ford system. also once that is decoded call svt and talk to them. SEMA regualtions will not allow a dealership to void a warranty for an aftermarket part, like stated unless it causes the part to fail. which i filter wont make lines fail. where they are going to try to get you is that in the install of the filter that you jacked the lines up.

decode service report
call svt
call lawyer (attorney generals office if possible)

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
The tech that supposedly did the brake work at Westfield said he didn't do that to the wires. The service manager said "OK!" and he said they didn't do that. That I pulled the wires up and re-routed them!

Mike

Originally posted by ChicagoMike
They claimed to have never touched that area. I don't know how to decode these service parts on the paper. I am requesting a Ford field rep

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
Good reason to join your local SVTOA chapter...Members should and will point you in the right direction...

maoun

Established Member
i agree with ox....i can easily help you if you drive to LA :)

i have some LA lawyers....so if you're willing to work over the phone and via letters....they're DAMN good

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
The 777 milestone is a keeper...

stangfreak

Established Member
they think you messed up the brake lines b/c you installed an air filter?? :lol: sometimes these dealerships are freakin hilarious.... man, id raise hell just like he said. lawyer time baby....

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
yeah, the service manager at Westfield claims when I put the airfilter in, I reached down to grab onto something and pulled the wires up from under the frame ... the air box and those wires are no where near each other (almost 1 foot drop from the airbox and 10 inches away) and I'm not stupid, I know how to install an air filter. And besides, I think the wires had to be removed and reinstalled to get the way they were - they are very stiff wires, like very thick steel coathanger wire. Dana thinks they were bent with a tool or machine to get that way.

Mike

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread