What are the weak links on all gt500 models

BURGESS04COBRA

Established Member
sorry if this is a question that's been beat to death just wondering what the weak spots on all gt500 models are .I currently have a 04 cobra and know the factory irs etc. weak points but considering a gt500 in future and just wondering what the factory weak pionts are that need to be replaced first to last like the cobras need flsfc bushings etc. this is just for knowledge on what kinda cash I would have to put into it to correct factory weak links with the car. I know I can go crazy on mods with it and replace it all but if its not needed then its saving money .Also debating on just spending the money on building the cobra but it wont ever be a shelby .Thanks for any info

SirShaun

Established Member
Stock
Stock Goodyear F1's in the back.
Heat Exchanger

Blower Swap
Injectors and Boost a Pump
Catalytic Converter 600whp (Power can crush them)
Clutch (Stocker Might Last Awhile)
Driveshaft & Safety Loop if launching on a good tire.

Not much really. The cars were engineered to perform. I believe people have managed 1.5x 60 foots on stock suspension. You will need Injectors and a Boost a pump for most blower swaps.

Last edited:

mavisky

Established Member
List above is good.

2007's have a shit front balancer that Ford corrected in the later years.
2010's have unique exhaust systems so limited options for axlebacks on that year.
All intakes will require a tune
You can get by with a pulley swap without one though usually. As always your mileage may vary.

2007-2009 are iron block
2011-2012 got an aluminum block so hold higher values
2010+ can complain about shifter issues at times
2007-2009 had a clutch issue that may or may not have been taken care of under warranty via a TSB - check for this before buying a car.

Heavy car with tall 1st gear and 3.31 rear gears and small clutch discs can mean short lived clutches if launching hard on the stock clutch.

nxhappy

Established Member
good info above !

The stock block is almost indestructible . Some people pushing over 800whp on the stock block, no issues.

The cooling system is a POS, you need a dual fan HE, 3x tank, and 170 Tstat to keep IATs down. This engine/blower makes some HEAT !

BURGESS04COBRA

Established Member
thanks for info debating on just putting money into cobra vs taking that money and trading for a gt500 trying to weigh options found some nice gt500 cars

mavisky

Established Member
I will say that whatever power you make in a Terminator, you'll need more to keep up with it in a GT500 because of the weight. But for a fun street car it's hard to beat an intake/pulley/programmer GT500 like mine. Even with the stock gears it's damned fast on the street and has loads of torque everywhere. Rides very nice too and I have no trouble daily driving mine in the summer months in the south in A/C comfort.

BURGESS04COBRA

Established Member
my cobra hasnt been on road in month or so need to drive this weekend maybe do a show next week end its really a good street car havent been to track yet would like to do that before end of year might be a big factor on me keeping it lol

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
The panhard bar and LCAs suck. They make the rear end too squiggly around corners and on launch.

Black Cobra '99

Established Member
The panhard bar and LCAs suck. They make the rear end too squiggly around corners and on launch.

+1
LCAs & UCA were my first mod. I'm also considering a watts link just because the rear end feel disconnected.
But where I live is filled with pot holes & crappy roads.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread