What Cam do Cobra's like?

St8-E

Established Member
I know a lot will try to talk me out of this, but I am looking into getting a cam for my cobra. Engine is stock, with exception of FRPP headers, off-road X-pipe into flowmasters, and a K&N filter...I just overall like the sound of a cammed engine, to be honest...I have seen in other post's about the Crane 2031 (I think that is the number?!), I went to Cranes website and couldn't find this cam...I don't plan on doing much with the engine, just don't want to lose typical driveablility and bad idling issues...I hear a lot about the E-cam, but none of the threads are very current, so not sure if there is something else out there now-a-days! Thanks!

TX93Cobra

Established Member
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLj8RfF2LSs&feature=related"]YouTube - 1993 Cobra Exhaust o/r x pipe[/nomedia]

i run an e303 with stock heads. shorties and o/r x. i made 267 rwhp and 304 ftlbs. thatll give u an idea of the sound. as far as performance the car runs strong but i believe i want to swap it out for n-21 from anderson ford motorsports. take a look at them as well. the fti custom cam is also a great idea!

also heres another e303 video with a different exhaust.
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4cJfIKUy6M&NR=1"]YouTube - 93 cobra Ecam[/nomedia]

Last edited:

TX93Cobra

Established Member
does he have any vids or track numbers or dyno sheets with it? is it with the stock heads? sorry for dign for the info from ya but NOBODY has it on the internet! cant find any info with gt40s

buddha93

Established Member
does he have any vids or track numbers or dyno sheets with it? is it with the stock heads? sorry for dign for the info from ya but NOBODY has it on the internet! cant find any info with gt40s

It's because very few poeple run them with all the other cylinder heads available.

St8-E

Established Member
E-cam sounds pretty sweet at idle...

TX,

Is that all you have done to yours is the exhaust and E-cam?

TX93Cobra

Established Member
It's because very few poeple run them with all the other cylinder heads available.

well anderson said it is a good cam for the trickflow and edelbrock heads but owell just wanted to hear one or something.

ST8,

I have it bored .30 over with stock heads, E303 and mild port to intake just to gasket match it. BBK cai. and sct chip. thats all that is done to it for power.

St8-E

Established Member
We did a full TFS setup on his car with the Anderson cam. Here is a link to the dyno sheet:

TFS combo w/ Anderson n-41 - Corral Image Hosting

The only vid's I have of that car is on they dyno, post blower, which changes the exhaust note........and none where you can hear it idling.

Yeah, it seems kind of trivial and pointless to buy a cam, pay to get it installed, just so the car sounds awesome idling...haha...but I am more than likely going to do it...! I appreciate the replies and the video clips...I would be ashamed to call a custom cam guy/company and say "Um...I just want it to sound cool idling and any power benefit I can get would work also", I am sure they would laugh at me!

TX93Cobra

Established Member
well if your wanting it to sound cool you'll be getting 112 lsa and lower. but keep in mind by wanting a nice lopey idle you lose driveability down low as well as torque due to the cam making up for that loss in the top end. the e303 sounds good because it has a 110 lsa. cams like the tfs1 are mostly around 112. i bought the car with the e303 already in it, if i was buying a cam for it myself i would go with a comp cams xe270hr-12 or the anderson n-21.

St8-E

Established Member
well if your wanting it to sound cool you'll be getting 112 lsa and lower. but keep in mind by wanting a nice lopey idle you lose driveability down low as well as torque due to the cam making up for that loss in the top end. the e303 sounds good because it has a 110 lsa. cams like the tfs1 are mostly around 112. i bought the car with the e303 already in it, if i was buying a cam for it myself i would go with a comp cams xe270hr-12 or the anderson n-21.

yeah, I def. don't want to lose drivability, because...well...I DRIVE IT!! This isn't a track car, nor is it a daily driver...I'm actually going to be putting it away here in about 2 weeks for the winter and won't be driving it for about 4-5 months...PA winter's reak havoc on these rust prone fox's...I just don't know what route to go...I want it to have a good lopey idle, but I don't want to have stalling/idling issues...i'll probably just end up going with the E-cam since it's what most daily drivers seem to go with...

TX93Cobra

Established Member
yeah, I def. don't want to lose drivability, because...well...I DRIVE IT!! This isn't a track car, nor is it a daily driver...I'm actually going to be putting it away here in about 2 weeks for the winter and won't be driving it for about 4-5 months...PA winter's reak havoc on these rust prone fox's...I just don't know what route to go...I want it to have a good lopey idle, but I don't want to have stalling/idling issues...i'll probably just end up going with the E-cam since it's what most daily drivers seem to go with...

do you plan on getting the car tuned after installing your cam? if so a lot of times if you find a good one they can help with the drivability of the car. mine sits at about 850-900 rpm at idle. the cam sounded so mean at 750-800. u can order a xe270hr-10. i was emailing a comp cams tech and told them id like them to take the 270hr and grind it to a 110 lsa, since its a 218/224 cam which is what i believe we need for our heads. but neways im sure ull be happy with the improvements with the e303, just expect to lose the low end!. =)

runs2rch

7 minutes!!!!
Established Member
Anyone running the TF heads with an X cam, 1.6 rockers? I have been thinking about this combo. The TF heads will allow 550 lift with stock pistons won't it?

TX93Cobra

Established Member
Anyone running the TF heads with an X cam, 1.6 rockers? I have been thinking about this combo. The TF heads will allow 550 lift with stock pistons won't it?

max lift will never touch the piston due to the fact that the piston is at the bottom of the cylinder when the valve is at max lift. main thing you have to look at is the duration and ramp rates. im sure the cam will work fine with stock pistons but always check pvc netime u install a cam.

TX93Cobra

Established Member
just make sure u get something that will go good with heads later on if you are planning that route. thats what im planning on. the xe270hr-12 is a good cam from what i hear. and comp cams is know for aggressive ramp rates which if you have a valve train able to bear it, it is a good thing!

St8-E

Established Member
just make sure u get something that will go good with heads later on if you are planning that route. thats what im planning on. the xe270hr-12 is a good cam from what i hear. and comp cams is know for aggressive ramp rates which if you have a valve train able to bear it, it is a good thing!

"A valve train able to bear it..." Um...hopefully the stock valve train would be able to bear it...for now, I don't plan on getting new heads...

TX93Cobra

Established Member
"A valve train able to bear it..." Um...hopefully the stock valve train would be able to bear it...for now, I don't plan on getting new heads...

im talkng about springs. and when i had my motor cleaned up the stock 1.7 rockers were warped. netime you do a cam swap make sure you get springs. your rr might be fine. with the increased lift and more aggressive ramp rates from a stock cam to a comp cam you will need springs and preferably double bee hive.

Users who are viewing this thread