What Cam do Cobra's like?

JoeRacer

Established Member
What is the power like under 3000 with the Steeda #18? My Lunati 51025 doesn't wake up until 3000, and then it hits hard and pulls well past safe rpm. For example if I am in 2nd at 1500rpm and floor it the car will take off and then at 3000rpm begin spinning the tires. I wouldn't mind having something with more lowend, but I love how hard my cam pulls at upper rpm. I am leaning towards a custom grind to try and get a nice balance, but I'm open to time tested off the shelf cams that people are happy with.

SVT_Jay

Established Member
Steeda 18 Cam under 3000...

What is the power like under 3000 with the Steeda #18? My Lunati 51025 doesn't wake up until 3000, and then it hits hard and pulls well past safe rpm. For example if I am in 2nd at 1500rpm and floor it the car will take off and then at 3000rpm begin spinning the tires. I wouldn't mind having something with more lowend, but I love how hard my cam pulls at upper rpm. I am leaning towards a custom grind to try and get a nice balance, but I'm open to time tested off the shelf cams that people are happy with.

I had the same initial impression with my car. It felt like the car really woke up at 3000 rpm and would break the tires loose, so I thought it was a little lazy out of the hole. Forget about powershifting 2nd gear with street tires!!!

I used to race my buddy's '89 in fourth gear all the time just to see which changes helped either his or my car. We did it from a roll so the driver would be taken out of the equation. With the cam swap, I didn't lose anything below 3000, but as soon as I got into the cam, I could walk away. He ended up doing the same swap. I wish I had dyno sheets...

WillyB93

Established Member
I would consult with some cam grinders to see what you car get with a lower power band. the thing you will have to watch is what the motor is best suited for, most commonly they like to keep the power bands in the mid range area for better fuel economy. Which I know you probably don't care about fuel economy.

Users who are viewing this thread