what clutch to get?

Demonio

Established Member
hello, got a 03 cobra with a 2.3 whipple that made 607 rwhp on a dynojet with a spec 3 clutch, but i dd the car a lot and its become more n more chattery as u might say, so im looking to get a new clutch for it, i asked a local guy here that races his cobra and does lot of work on them too and he said to do a centerforce, i read about the rtx n there is some issues with adjustments that i been reading, so here im asking for advice, i also have everything stock on the tranny, its hold fine all the power but i also have not beat the car, just drive a lot on highway thanks let me know any thoughts on what to go next..looking for something better than spec..but hate the chatter unless i rev up the rpms to get more of a smoother engagement..

blksvtCOBRA714

Established Member
Depends on your budget. If money is not an issue go with the mcleod rxt. From what I've heard the clutch has minimal pedal effort and can hold your power level all day. If your looking for a more budget friendly clutch comparable to spec, looks at the pro motion clutches. I just personally put one in my house and has minimal chatter and pedal feel better than stock. I went with the 650hp rated one.

Demonio

Established Member
have you have or driven a spec 3 before so you could compare between the promotion?
Depends on your budget. If money is not an issue go with the mcleod rxt. From what I've heard the clutch has minimal pedal effort and can hold your power level all day. If your looking for a more budget friendly clutch comparable to spec, looks at the pro motion clutches. I just personally put one in my house and has minimal chatter and pedal feel better than stock. I went with the 650hp rated one.

Demonio

Established Member
rebuildable? really explain, how much does it cost to get rebuild cause it seems like it will be worth it for the long run..
Theres really no way to put a lifetime on a clutch. One good thing about the RXT is it is entirely rebuildable so you wont need to buy a new one.

TRBO VNM

I have been really impressed with the promotion 650hp setup. Putting one in my car today actually, along with their new quadrant. Price is right, handles the power and is very smooth

Last edited:

sam92lx

SVTP Style Consultant.
Established Member
I drive mine with a spec 5. A buddy of mine has a McLeod twin disk that is nice.

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
I have been really impressed with the promotion 650hp setup. Putting one in my car today actually, along with their new quadrant. Price is right, handles the power and is very smooth

+1 exaaaacccctly

i cant believe people spend $1k on just a clutch kit alone. that blows my mind! i have been running a promotion clutch for over 50k miles now, and LOVE IT. sooooo much lighter clutch pedal than stock. no strange noises, or chatter. it has never slipped, and has taken plenty of abuse. i got around 45k miles out of their $15 TOB (that comes with the clutch kit), before it even made the slightest chirp. changed that out, and still had plenty of clutch left. i paid a wopping $290 for their 520hp rated 3pc clutch kit.

if my clutch ever DOES need replaced again, i will be going right back to them.

619Cobra04

Mystic Cobra
Established Member
+1 for RXT needs sers adjustments. Good pedal feel though. I honestly would keep the chatter though if you know the clutch is sticking good IMO. Mine slips like a mofo and I'm sick of paying for some "professional" to look at it and say they don't know why. Keep the SPEC! I'm going that route after this deployment. :)

Demonio

Established Member
what do you mean by serious adjustments? r they really a pain in the (-;-) to get it right.. was planning on doing it myself but i dont know now...
+1 for RXT needs sers adjustments. Good pedal feel though. I honestly would keep the chatter though if you know the clutch is sticking good IMO. Mine slips like a mofo and I'm sick of paying for some "professional" to look at it and say they don't know why. Keep the SPEC! I'm going that route after this deployment. :)

TRBO VNM

does their 650hp is motor or wheels hp?

Wheel hp. I asked Wally this exact question a couple weeks ago. He said he has guys making 700 with it and hitting it at the track without issue.

I just finished installing mine the other day with their quadrant. I just can't believe how smooth the engagement is compared to other single disc aftermarket clutches. Now the break in begins.

My96z

Established Member
Wheel hp. I asked Wally this exact question a couple weeks ago. He said he has guys making 700 with it and hitting it at the track without issue.

I just finished installing mine the other day with their quadrant. I just can't believe how smooth the engagement is compared to other single disc aftermarket clutches. Now the break in begins.

Does ProMotion have thier new quadrant out yet? Is the 650 pedal effort much less than stock?

TRBO VNM

Yes, I just installed the quadrant in my car when I did the clutch. I removed a upr triple hook.

Yes, it is lighter than stock and IMO, a considerable amount. I have the LCD free play kit, which does add some tension. I also have a torn meniscus that needs repair next month and I can definitely tell a difference between cars because of that.

Users who are viewing this thread