What Clutch to go with?

mavado007

Established Member
Hey guys, my clutch went out on me the other day, whats a good replacement? I don't want to spend alot of money. Thanks for the help!

KBpumped03

Established Member
Go over to www.modularfords.com in the Terminator forum (sorry, too lazy to link) and look for a post about Centerforce's DF clutch. It is getting a lot of good reviews. I'm installing one as soon a I relocate this spring.

KENZILLA

Well ya, Its fast!
Established Member
I just installed my Spec stage 3 F and the liberty 26 spline input shaft last night. I drove about 100 miles today to start the break in period and so far it kicks ass. It is a on/off clutch but it bites real nice. Cant wait to get it broke in so i can hammer on it. Oh, it is suppose to hold 850 ft lbs tq according to Spec. I also went with spec cause they are just down the road from my house in Alabama. They are very helpfull and good to talk to.

WDW MKR

Established Member
InjectorDude (AL resident) just smoked his Spec 3i. I have yet to see a clutch that holds for everyone. So far, it seems the new CF (that you have to call to get the part numbers for) has the most promise.

mavado007

Established Member
So Centerforce is the clutch to go with? I don't understand the difference in Splines? What Spline do I need with my Cobra?

KENZILLA

Well ya, Its fast!
Established Member
03-04 cobra has a 10 spline stock. I upgraded mine to the Liberty 26 spline because many people are trashing the 10 spline. It was only 250 bucks and i had a friend give me a deal on install of the clutch and input shaft for 200 bucks. If you have the money go ahead and do the upgrade while the tranny is out of the car. If you wait till you break the input shaft, you will also have to put in a new clutch friction plate that will accept the 26 spline.

mavado007 said:
So Centerforce is the clutch to go with? I don't understand the difference in Splines? What Spline do I need with my Cobra?

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
I went with the CF dual puck myself. A little more holding power than the DF. I still wanted a very streetable clutch, that's why I went that route. If streetability wasn't important, I would have gone with a Mcleod. IMHO probably the clutch that is gonna hold the most power in our cars. Problem is, it is on or off and that's it! Really hard to drive on the street.

vipergts281

Established Member
I just ordered a CF DF clutch and TOB with a Fedanza flywheel from LFP about an hour ago. $615 plus $20 shipping.

Add $269 if you want to upgrade to the 26 spline input shaft.

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
sambandit said:
I went with the CF dual puck myself. A little more holding power than the DF. I still wanted a very streetable clutch, that's why I went that route. If streetability wasn't important, I would have gone with a Mcleod. IMHO probably the clutch that is gonna hold the most power in our cars. Problem is, it is on or off and that's it! Really hard to drive on the street.

have you put the new clutch in yet? Im torn between the DF or the dual puck, cant decide

BANDIT HPT

Established Member
I use to have a Centerforce in my old SS. It made 418hp and it held up great untill I sold it. The new owner of the car put a 12 bolt in the car and launched it on slicks with the same clutch in it. I think it has about 25-30k miles of abuse on it.

mavado007

Established Member
vipergts281 said:
I just ordered a CF DF clutch and TOB with a Fedanza flywheel from LFP about an hour ago. $615 plus $20 shipping.

Wow, thats a great deal. Anyone else running this setup? I'm at about 430 to the wheels. Should I just go ahead and to a 26 spline with flywheel, t.o.b., and input shaft?

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
Juiced46 said:
have you put the new clutch in yet? Im torn between the DF or the dual puck, cant decide
Nope, haven't put it in yet, but from what I understand, it is a little stronger but yet just as streetable. I need the strongest clutch I can get without loosing the streetability.

vipergts281

Established Member
mavado007 said:
Wow, thats a great deal. Anyone else running this setup? I'm at about 430 to the wheels. Should I just go ahead and to a 26 spline with flywheel, t.o.b., and input shaft?
My buddy has this setup on his Whippled Cobra. But he hasn't had it on for that long, so I can't tell you if it will hold up or not to that power.

If you plan on keeping the car you mine as well just go ahead and get the 26 spline input shaft. It's cheap insurance. I don't plan on having the car much longer so I didn't want to spend the extra $269.

mavado007

Established Member
I just placed an order with LFP. They have a special going on right now, so I got the Centerforce 26 Spline Dual Friction Clutch, Fidanza Flywheel, and T.O.B. for $615.00, I went ahead and purchased the Liberty Input Shaft since the trans is coming out anyway. Thanks to Mark @ LFP and all you guys, you really helped me out and broke it down for me!

jaimemoney

Established Member
vipergts281 said:

sweet good deal i think

whats lfp

and what exactly are the spline input shaft
would my 01 bullit benefit from that.

Last edited:

vipergts281

Established Member
jaimemoney said:
sweet good deal i think

whats lfp

and what exactly are the spline input shaft
would my 01 bullit benefit from that.
LFP means Lightning Force Performance.

The input shaft is the weak point on the T56 tranny.

Here is a pic of the input shaft on my tranny. It's the piece you see in the very center. It is my stock piece........

Tranny.jpg

BuffDigits

Bling - Bling
Established Member
I have the regular spec3, several thousand miles of pretty hard driving, no problems. have a whipple going in soon so we will see how it holds up with even more power.

Juiced-03

Established Member
CF DF....I love mine!! It was $330 shipped from Summit with a CF TOB. Would definitely buy one again if for some reason I had to do it over.

Users who are viewing this thread