What clutch you guys using

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
so my McLeod RXT 1000 took a dump on me after a few missed gears at the track. It was only 3 years old with maybe 4,000 miles and maybe 20 passes. I was explaining my situation to a shop and he laughed when I said McLeod because he said he’s seen a lot of problems with them and doesn’t recommend having it rebuilt or replaced with another McLeod. I’ve always thought McLeod had a good reputation and were highly recommend. What are your thoughts on McLeod and what are some other options for my 700rwhp 08 GT500?

barspen

Established Member
I couldn't stand my RXT and my mechanic said the same things as yours. Chatter, harsh engagement, vibration...Almost got rid of the car I was so disappointed in the drivability. I finally dumped it and went with a stock '13/'14 kit and couldn't be happier. I can't speak to HP ability on this clutch as I only have minor power gains over stock...Also not sure how it would hold up to strip use. I'm sure others will chime in.

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
I couldn't stand my RXT and my mechanic said the same things as yours. Chatter, harsh engagement, vibration...Almost got rid of the car I was so disappointed in the drivability. I finally dumped it and went with a stock '13/'14 kit and couldn't be happier. I can't speak to HP ability on this clutch as I only have minor power gains over stock...Also not sure how it would hold up to strip use. I'm sure others will chime in.

Thanks for your response, I’m glad to hear you say that. Honestly I haven’t heard many bad things about McLeod but I haven’t been on a forum in years.

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
I always used centerforce clutches in my 98 and 03 Cobra’s. Haven’t heard much about them in GT500’s. I had a Spec before my McLeod, not sure what is was exactly, it was in the car when I bought it buy my left calf was twice the size as my right after driving for a while lol.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
so my McLeod RXT 1000 took a dump on me after a few missed gears at the track. It was only 3 years old with maybe 4,000 miles and maybe 20 passes. I was explaining my situation to a shop and he laughed when I said McLeod because he said he’s seen a lot of problems with them and doesn’t recommend having it rebuilt or replaced with another McLeod. I’ve always thought McLeod had a good reputation and were highly recommend. What are your thoughts on McLeod and what are some other options for my 700rwhp 08 GT500?

as for HP im in the same boat as you. I have the Mcleod RXT and have 14,000 miles on it. seems to be holding up fine. considering the stock clutch held out till 27k and had similar chattering, and engagement I cant complain about the RXT. holds the power, takes the power shifts, cant say anything about missing gears at high RPMs. so maybe that did the damage.

So did you have the clutch taken out to look at it?

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
It’s still in the car, was just trying to gather info before I make a decision. I thought it might just be the throw out bearing/slave cylinder but the more I talk to people the more I’m getting my clutch is fried. It was a hot day and the few missed shifts may have done it. I honestly had no problems before the track so I’m not bashing McLeod. I’m just hearing some negative feedback on McLeod so I’m thinking of other options

HKusp

Established Member
I run an RXT and I beat on it pretty good, although I have about 150 less HP than you probably do. I had it rebuilt last winter and $600 with shipping was a pretty attractive number to me. It's rated for far more than you have, so I am not sure what the issue could be. I like the engagement of mine 95% of the time, and usually if I don't it's because I am coming off the line without enough RPM.

StrayBullitt

Established Member
I'm running a Spec SFG5SST.. love how it feels on engagement and pedal feel, but the front disc is unsprung IIRC and there is a lot of NVH, chatter when disengaged and drivetrain noise when low rpm. That has taken some getting used to.

RBB

Established Member
I've had a Centerforce Dyad for 3 years now, and it's taken a beating....still going strong. Pedal feel is good, it was pretty grabby at first, but gets better as you continue to break it in.

PM-Performance

Established Member
Honestly, I am quite surprised it is lasting being above its rating, but I have an Exedy Mach600 in mine. And I beat the tar out of that thing and lives on drag radials.
I am quite surprised it has been taking everything I been throwing at it. I better knock on wood quick.

I am surprised of issues with the Mccleod though. When my Exedy decides to call it quits, I planned on doing the RXT.

LethalBlake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
We have never had any issues with Mcleod clutches and thats what we usually have ran on all our shop cars. Centerforce DYAD is another strong option thats available if you are looking to steer away from Mcleod. we can help get you set up when you are ready to make a purchase on the new clutch. Feel free to send me a message with any other questions. www.lethalperformance.com

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
Spec SS trim. Only negative for me is mild chatter when clutch pedal is depressed. Pedal pressure is very similar to stock clutch. I remember having "new" drivetrain (transmission) noise at low idle RPM when it was installed; bumped my idle RPM up a little in my tune and no more noise. Engagement is smooth and starts about 1.5 inches from the floor. While I don't abuse it, I am not easy on it either, but I try not to slip it too much. It has held the power for over 20k miles so far, and if I do eventually burn it up, I'll send it back to Spec for a rebuild.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I have a new Spec rebuilt to ST specs. I’ve always liked Spec clutches in my cars, but I always go with their full faced version vs puck style for feel/slip on the street/strip.
I wasn’t a fan of the SS in my car, but the clutch came with a full upgrade rebuild kit to ST, basically puck discs upgraded to full faced cerametallics.
If I didn’t have a close friend working with XClutch, the rebuilt ST would be in my car.
At this point, my recommendation would be for an XClutch, twin below 800rwhp, triple above.
If anyone wants a good deal on a new rebuilt Spec ST with Aluminum flywheel or a connection to XClutch let me know.
-J

Bearbo

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
XClutch looks promising. Anybody using Mantic or RPS Clutch?

Users who are viewing this thread