What do you prefer in Handgun/Caliber??

Wildpony

Established Member
If you didn't have to go with what your dept makes you use on duty, which handgun/model/caliber would you prefer to use ?
I'm looking at an H&K in .40 or .45 USP and realize that bigger isn't always better (and a head shot is a head shot either way), but what do you think ?

lowdrag

Established Member
Headshots are great, but for the most part they are myths or luck in a real gunfight. As soon as a fight starts, heartrate jumps to the point that you lose fine motor skills. The body begins pulling all the blood out of the extremities, auditory exclusion sets in and you develope tunnel vision. Now take into account that rarely will the other person be standing still and the fact that if you truly want to survive, you better be moving as well.

Center mass is the way to go, unless there are other circumstances that necessitate a head shot. To get to the point, I'll take my .45 and make sure those hits count. Other factors to think about are things like concealed carry. I've got an HK USP .45 and it's a great gun, but it's huge. There's almost no way to carry it without it being apparent to the trained eye.

There are always plenty of arguments over things like this, but the .45 cartridge hasn't been around as long as it has because it doesn't work.

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
Hand grenade. :poke:

An experienced report writer such as I can usually articulate a reasonable explanation for the collateral damage. Heck, if you pull the trigger - you will be sued, might as well get your money's worth litigatively speaking.........

Elliotness

Established Member
Since I'm not in uniform, I prefer the GLOCK subcompacts. They are much easier to conceal than a full size firearm. My agency only allows us to carry the 9MM Glock Subcompact. I don't like it, you have more beebees but less stopping power. I suggest you carry at least a .40

Lawfficer

Just a dude with a car
Established Member
Im in love with my G22 for duty use.

But a friend of mine has a 1911 style Kimber (.45) and I can pound tacks with that. But I would have to say the G22

Mac25

Established Member
I carry the Glock 22 on duty and have my 23 for off duty. I love it! Its small enough where I can conceal and I feel comfortable with it. Plus it carries 13 in the mag. I can also use my 22's mag which hold 15. I thought about picking up a 27 for my b.u.g.

Wildpony

Established Member
lowdrag said:
Other factors to think about are things like concealed carry. I've got an HK USP .45 and it's a great gun, but it's huge. There's almost no way to carry it without it being apparent to the trained eye.

What about the USP compact ?

Cochese

Twin Turbo V8
Established Member
I carry a USP .40 fullsize variant 4 on duty and a G26 as a BUG and off-duty.

I can shoot way better with the G26 than the USP. I work for a state agency in TX and they mandate we carry the USP...

If I could carry anything? A G17 to match my G26 :)

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
In the Navy we used to carry .45s now we use POS beretta 9mms i hate them. We are currently starting a transition to Sig 9mm. not sure on the model. I am not Navy leo. but i carry in some situations. Actually i carry everywhere i go here in Iraq (POS beretta 9mm). Last year with the SIG i could was repeating holes in the paper at 20yds. They shoot very nice. i wanna say they are SIG p226s

Sniperfox

Kopfjaeger
Established Member
5.4 speedster said:
Thoughts On 10mm?
In it's original loading, the 10 m/m was a very powerful round that was better than a .357 magnum, but most weapons of the time that were chambered for it, such as the Colt Delta, were getting battered from the recoil. Most ammo companies began reducing the loads because of it. Then when the FBI switched to the S&W 10 m/m pistol after their Miami shootout, the loads were specified to a sub-sonic load with I believe a 180 Gr. JHP bullit. That is about what you get with a .40 S&W round and with the .40, you can usually carry more rounds in the weapon. The 10 m/m was sent to the boneyard for the second time in it's history. Does anyone even offer a 10 m/m auto pistol these days? Glock and S&W had them in their catalogs for awhile, but I haven't seen any in gun stores lately.

jshen

Established Member
Glock 20 & 29

Sniperfox said:
In it's original loading, the 10 m/m was a very powerful round that was better than a .357 magnum, but most weapons of the time that were chambered for it, such as the Colt Delta, were getting battered from the recoil.... The 10 m/m was sent to the boneyard for the second time in it's history. Does anyone even offer a 10 m/m auto pistol these days? Glock and S&W had them in their catalogs for awhile, but I haven't seen any in gun stores lately.

I carry and shoot the Glock 29, 10mm and it is, by far, the best firing weapon I have ever had. Compact..about the size of the Glock 23...yet .41 mag...specs. It also accommodates the G-20 15 rd hi-caps. My 165 JHPs are traveling about 1,400 ft/sec. I have three 40 caliber Glocks...and this 10mm. The 40s stay in the safe.

Sniperfox

Kopfjaeger
Established Member
jshen said:
I carry and shoot the Glock 29, 10mm and it is, by far, the best firing weapon I have ever had. Compact..about the size of the Glock 23...yet .41 mag...specs. It also accommodates the G-20 15 rd hi-caps. My 165 JHPs are traveling about 1,400 ft/sec. I have three 40 caliber Glocks...and this 10mm. The 40s stay in the safe.
Is that a factory round or your personal loading? I wasn't aware of any factory rounds with that much zing. Norma continued manufacturing a good hot load long after other companies toned theirs down.

The Rooster

Banned
lowdrag said:
Headshots are great, but for the most part they are myths or luck in a real gunfight. As soon as a fight starts, heartrate jumps to the point that you lose fine motor skills. The body begins pulling all the blood out of the extremities, auditory exclusion sets in and you develope tunnel vision. Now take into account that rarely will the other person be standing still and the fact that if you truly want to survive, you better be moving as well.

Center mass is the way to go, unless there are other circumstances that necessitate a head shot. To get to the point, I'll take my .45 and make sure those hits count. Other factors to think about are things like concealed carry. I've got an HK USP .45 and it's a great gun, but it's huge. There's almost no way to carry it without it being apparent to the trained eye.

There are always plenty of arguments over things like this, but the .45 cartridge hasn't been around as long as it has because it doesn't work.

It get's better each time. First one is pretty scary...

jshen

Established Member
Zing?

Sniperfox said:
Is that a factory round or your personal loading? I wasn't aware of any factory rounds with that much zing. Norma continued manufacturing a good hot load long after other companies toned theirs down.
Check "doubletap" ammo from Mcnett. do a google search. He has the best in the business. I use Georgia Arms, shear power plus..$13.75 for 50

sharkattack

2003 Cobra Silver
Established Member
On duty, SIG P226 (issue) and a Glock 27 in an ankle holster. Off duty, Glock 27. We can carry whatever we want as long as it is in 9mm, .40, or .45 and you qual with it. Off duty you can carry whatever you want as long as you qual with it as well.

Lt.FrankBullitt

Established Member
I would like to carry a glock model 21 in .45 caliber but the Chief says NO. On duty I carry a glock 22 in .40 caliber and off duty a glock 27 either in a ankle holster or in a forbus holster

lowdrag

Established Member
I've got a USP compact as well as the full size. The compacts are a little smaller but still difficult to conceal. Although they are shorter they are still very wide.

Right now I carry a Kimber TLE/RL II and plan on buying a Kimber Ultra carry for backup and off duty.

Users who are viewing this thread