What do you think about this... ?

Kevin the Clean 1

1 CLEAN 04 SNAKE
Established Member
The 03/04 COBRA was a hit, like 99% of us already know. It was a good clear way of the SN-95 platform to go out with a bang.

I like the fact that the rumor about the 2011 GT500 is no longer a rumor & it's now a fact that it's getting knock sensors & an aluminum block among other things.

I also realize that the 2014 Mustang with be FORD's 50th anniversary for our beloved Stang line. Do you think there is any chance that the 2012/2013 Mustang with have an IRS in it, like the Terminator had... ?

JUST WONDERING what you fellas thought about all this. Probably wont happen, but it's always fun to dream right. I love my 04 COBRA but I just sold it & I love the 2010/2011 but the SRA bothers me for a car built in this day & age (and at that price)... :eek:

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Shaker1

Walkin' on Sunshine
Established Member
If there was even a hint of a rumor it would be all over the Mustang boards already, so ...

XtremeS10

Established Member
The big question is, why would we want it?

You have Griggs which is a great setup for our cars, and look at all the 03/04 guys who swapped out for a solid rear anyways

Red10thcv

Established Member
+1 on that statement . Most all of the big horsepower 03-04 Cobra's are going to a SRA or a high dollar setup on their IRS.

Kevin the Clean 1

1 CLEAN 04 SNAKE
Established Member
The big question is, why would we want it?

You have Griggs which is a great setup for our cars, and look at all the 03/04 guys who swapped out for a solid rear anyways

+1 on that statement . Most all of the big horsepower 03-04 Cobra's are going to a SRA or a high dollar setup on their IRS.

Ya, I'm asking the wrong people about this... !

03reptile

Established Member
Ya, I'm asking the wrong people about this... !

I tend to agree. Many of the GT500 affectionado's are straight line guys and the current SRA is their cup of tea. I had an 03 Terminator and did appreciate the IRS, especially on irregular surfaces in a sweeper. The SRA just chatters and steps out where the IRS stays planted. Unfortunately, most real life road conditions don't present that problem, so Ford opted to go with the SRA to cut costs for us, and it really is a stronger system for most conditions. My 2011 is scheduled to be built on 04/13/2010, and will replace my current 07 GT500, so I'm looking forward to the improvements over the 07 rear suspension. The IRS is very expensive compared to the SRA plus heavier, so I don't think its in the near future for the Mustang; but one never knows and Ford is on a great roll right now with forward thinking in the design dept. so I guess we'll see.

Last edited:

chuckstang

Established Member
I have never driven in an 03/04 cobra that handles any where near as well as my car.

I'd say about a 50% chance though to answer your question.

I have driven vettes and vipers, both with IRS and I think my car and the Roush Mustangs handles as well. Only thing I see is weight holding the Mustang back, more so than the SRA

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
I have never driven in an 03/04 cobra that handles any where near as well as my car.

I'd say about a 50% chance though to answer your question.

I have driven vettes and vipers, both with IRS and I think my car and the Roush Mustangs handles as well. Only thing I see is weight holding the Mustang back, more so than the SRA

Oh come on... Have you pushed an IRS car to the limit? It is much easier to control than a Solid Axle car.

I believe that there are as many IRS cars that have serious power as Solid Axle guys.

I don't believe that you will see an IRS rear in the car again.

91svtbird

Established Member
The 03/04 COBRA was a hit, like 99% of us already know. It was a good clear way of the SN-95 platform to go out with a bang.

I like the fact that the rumor about the 2011 GT500 is no longer a rumor & it's now a fact that it's getting knock sensors & an aluminum block among other things.

I also realize that the 2014 Mustang with be FORD's 50th anniversary for our beloved Stang line. Do you think there is any chance that the 2012/2013 Mustang with have an IRS in it, like the Terminator had... ?

JUST WONDERING what you fellas thought about all this. Probably wont happen, but it's always fun to dream right. I love my 04 COBRA but I just sold it & I love the 2010/2011 but the SRA bothers me for a car built in this day & age (and at that price)... :eek:

:rolleyes:

To answer your question.....IMO....If and when the Mustang goes to a "Global" platform it will most likely be some type of IRS. I think it is long overdue. Of course it will have to meet tough criteria like being light weight but strong enough to handle the tough torque demands. Who knows maybe Ford might even offer a live axle option as well but I wouldn't count on that. My guess is once they make the switch it will be no looking back.

Of course that wouldn't stop the aftermarket from providing a live axle alternative at that time.

Kevin the Clean 1

1 CLEAN 04 SNAKE
Established Member
Sorry to get off topic but... you sold your Terminator?

Ya Joel, unfortunately I did man. I'm very sorry that I never got back to you about buying one of your badass t-stats. I appreciate you calling me back & being such a nice guy. I did want to sell my 11.3K cherry 04 COBRA coupe, but I'm trying to get a place of my own.

Some day I will get another one, preferably a DSG unit... I hope you are doing well brother.

Kevin the Clean 1

1 CLEAN 04 SNAKE
Established Member
Sorry to open the IRS vs. SRA debate again fellas. I was just curious about the new unit having one. In 2014 FORD will have been building Mustangs for 50 years & it's still got a horizontal bar from a truck... :(

Until they can supply a production Mustang (hopefully the 2014 will get it) with another IRS, I won't be buying one... :nonono:

mobeydick

Established Member
Thank You Ford for putting a SRA in My GT500. I know I will break it many times over the years I will own it and I'm very thankful it will not cost me $2,000.00 to fix it every time.

R1Lello

Established Member
I find it strange people will wait 3-4 years for a car..........does your time clock stop? Mine doesn't, so those in '82 with the GT should have waited until '85 for the 4 barrel and roller motor?, those in 85 should have waited for '87 for the F.I. motor??
enjoy the moment.

chuckstang

Established Member
Oh come on... Have you pushed an IRS car to the limit? It is much easier to control than a Solid Axle car.

I believe that there are as many IRS cars that have serious power as Solid Axle guys.

I don't believe that you will see an IRS rear in the car again.

I owned a 99 with IRS and it was modded like my GT500 and the GT500 out handled the 99 by a long shot, not even close.

The IRS was a POS

mrose75

Established Member
I find it strange people will wait 3-4 years for a car..........does your time clock stop? Mine doesn't, so those in '82 with the GT should have waited until '85 for the 4 barrel and roller motor?, those in 85 should have waited for '87 for the F.I. motor??
enjoy the moment.

I don't know about you, but I tend to hold onto my cars for a little while. I don't like to trade in and get ripped off by the dealer. So, I'm pretty selective when I buy cars. So, if I know in 2 years that the car I want will be produced with improvement "X", then I'll wait 2 years and get what I want. That's just me. Maybe if I was a little more financially endowed I'd do what I wanted when I wanted, but that time hasn't come yet. Just my $.02.

I've never driven/rode in a SRA Terminator or GT500 to tell which is better, but I probably would like to circle track mine moreso than drag it, so I vote for IRS. Again, my $.02.:beer:

09Troublemaker

" That don't sound stock"
Established Member
enjoy the moment.

+1000000000000

Enjoy it while you can is my ma-do:rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread