What does a header install really cost ...??

Speedwagon

Established Member
I want to have some LT Kooks headers and mid pipe installed and I have been calling local shops to get some prices. I have to tell you.. I am confessed. I have gotten prices that range from $350 to $3000. Anyone else run into this?? The shop that quoted me $3000 said that he will supply the parts (headers & mid pipe cause I dont know what to order). He said that 9 times outta 10 people dont get the right parts, then he said that I will need a tuner (which I can buy from him), CAI, and a generic tune, All that plus labor .. $3000. Is this guy for real or is he just playing salesman of the year?? All I want is for someone to install my headers and mid pipe.. What do you guys think???

Last edited:

El_Joker

Established Member
I spent $600 to have mine installed, and that included an alignment. With just the exhaust parts, I was around $1300 or so. I'd say the shop quoting you $3K is trying to get you to grab your ankles.

Last edited:

Slightly Motivated

Stormtrooper
Established Member
If you have the header and midpipe parts it should cost around 500 to 600 to install. It's not hard to order the correct parts if you shop by year make and model, or at least double check prices on quotes you get for parts. As far as headers go, you don't need a tuner, tune, or cai for them, but that would be a nice well rounded set of mods. Tuner, email tune, and cold air intake and install could you run you about 800 bucks alone. Kooks are generally more expensive brand, but it's worth it. I think 3000 is a little high but fair.

Speedwagon

Established Member
I spent $600 to have mine installed, and that included an alignment. With just the exhaust parts, I was around $1300 or so. I'd say the shop quoting you $3K is trying to get you to grab your ankles.

Yeah.. I totally agree with you. I shouldn't have to pay more than $500 - $600 for installation if I have the headers and mid pipe. I guess I'll have to shop around some more. Anyone know of a good shop in and around Pittsburgh PA??

BLK03SVT

Mike
Established Member
I was quoted 900-1k for just the install- I provide all the parts. I'm borrowing a buddies lift and paying a good mechanic to help me. will save a ton of cash and I know it will be done right.

Speedwagon

Established Member
I was quoted 900-1k for just the install- I provide all the parts. I'm borrowing a buddies lift and paying a good mechanic to help me. will save a ton of cash and I know it will be done right.

These shops kind of know they have you by the ballz cause you don't have a lift and possibly the right tools. I'll find someone who will install them....

VETTEHUNTER

No cure for this disease.
Established Member
I don't know how mechanically inclined you are, but if you research the install all the tricks to save time, the install really is not that bad to do yourself.....even without a lift. Wish you were closer, I'd do it for you.

SteveC

Established Member
I was quoted $575 from a local shop for header install. If you add in the price for headers (we will just say $1400 for a higher end brand like Kooks/SW/ARH) you are at about $2k. Then $400 for tuner and $300 for CAI and you are at about $2700. Install of the CAI shouldn't cost more than an hour labor and that is pushing it. So all in all it seems reasonable albeit a little high but you would be better off installing the stuff yourself if you can.

'14 Shelby

Established Member
Not sure how set you are on Kooks, but they are among the priciest of the bunch. Stainless Power (by Stainless Works) are almost half the price. Not exactly sure of the fitment on either but if you're looking to save some $$$ you may want to look at those.

Kornilov

Established Member
Local Mustang shop in the area is offering $400 for labor on header installs.

The $3K price is about in line considering all the parts that are being offered

BornCoqui

Established Member
Local Mustang shop in the area is offering $400 for labor on header installs.

The $3K price is about in line considering all the parts that are being offered

I agree. I paid $400 for my entire exhaust install. (ARH longtubes, mid pipe, and catback)

Speedwagon

Established Member
I don't know how mechanically inclined you are, but if you research the install all the tricks to save time, the install really is not that bad to do yourself.....even without a lift. Wish you were closer, I'd do it for you.

Thanks buddy!! I appreciate it. I would have definitely taken you up on that and given you 5-$100's

vortecd

Established Member
Surprises me how many people don't work on their own cars. Spend the money on tools and do it yourself. The Internet has blow this job way out of proportion. It may take a day to do but fairly easy

Masheen365

Established Member
I'm always looking for an excuse to buy new tools. I budget that into buying stuff. Need to work under the car? Better get some ramps. Got a tricky bolt? Better get that new impact driver. Oh, I would need to reach for this? Nah, get new tool set with a bunch of extensions. :dancenana:

orange_whiner

Pro-class stoplight racer
Established Member
I'm always looking for an excuse to buy new tools. I budget that into buying stuff. Need to work under the car? Better get some ramps. Got a tricky bolt? Better get that new impact driver. Oh, I would need to reach for this? Nah, get new tool set with a bunch of extensions. :dancenana:
Exactly! I also upgrade parts when reasonable too. ie: Radiator needs replaced, time for an all aluminium one!

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
Can't drop the K-member and not replace it with a new one....after all we all need to shave a few pounds.

Users who are viewing this thread