What does a stock pulley look like??

r6bullet

Established Member
Alright guys, I sold my 96 Trans Am (in sig) and now I can buy an 03/04 cobra that I have always wanted. I am looking at this silver 04, it is a few hours from me so I have seen it in person. The guy sent me some more pictures of it, I noticed that the belt gaurd was gone but did not see a CAI.
So is this a stock pulley? And on a side note, what do you think would be good price on this car? Silver 04 with 31k miles on it, they are asking 28,900 which I think is to high. The car does have a cat back on it, not sure which one though. Here are the pics, thanks guys

9889_009.jpg

9889_011.jpg

9889_010.jpg

9889_012.jpg

Some pics of the car

9889_001.jpg

9889_008.jpg

9889_005.jpg

9889_004.jpg

01strimbullitt

BYAH!
Established Member
looks good!

looks like a stock upper pulley... but someone could have had a smaller one on there buy put the car as close back to stock as possible when selling or trading it in... low miles though so i wouldnt worry about it!

at a dealership they are goona try to mark these things up a million %... all you have to do is work with them and they get it down to a fairly reasonable price...

oh btw... buy the car just for the black on black seats! they look great!

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
That looks like a Steeda 2.8 or 2.93 upper pulley.

This is a stock 3.65" pulley. It has no holes in it.
170793.jpg

170794.jpg

Nice car BTW. But a little pricey.

Last edited:

r6bullet

Established Member
Wow, that stock pulley is huge. So everybody that swaps pulleys have an extra dinner plate laying around now.

SVTkel

SVTKel
Established Member
It definately is not a stock pulley. The first clue is the holes drilled in the inner ring of the upper pulley. Also from the pics I can see that the pulley has been changed~ note all the scuffs on the snout at 9:00 and 3:00.

Use this info as a negotiating tool with the stealership. Good luck.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
that's not the stock pulley as others have stated. not sure why it does not have an intake system on it, unless they de-modded it, but not sure why they wouldn't remove the blower pulley, and put the stocker back on it.

either way, i'd be just a little concerned. i wouldn't buy the car unless you plan on taking it to a tuner to check the a/f ratio

You gotta love a dealer thats selling a Cobra with a 2.80 on it. I bet the car was flashed to stock as well and these dealer clowns are trying to pass that off as a trouble free car. You did the right thing coming on here my friend. I bought what I thought was a stock pullied Cobra and I ignorantly neglected to research what a stock pulley looks like. Everything worked out for me...but I did run my car with a 2.80 & stock Ford tune for 3000 miles before getting the car dynoed and realizing the game of Russian Roulette I was playing.

Juruense

Banned
There is really not much more to say, its been covered pretty well above.

Low ball the PISS out of that dealer then walk when he laughs at you. He will call you in a few days and be ready to do some real negatiations.

Offer him $20k out the door as is just for the hell of it, seriously... Do not budge. Settle for $23-24k for a modified Cobra with greater than 30k miles that is an ugly color.

SicStang03

2SSSlow
Established Member
kirks5oh said:
that's not the stock pulley as others have stated. not sure why it does not have an intake system on it, unless they de-modded it, but not sure why they wouldn't remove the blower pulley, and put the stocker back on it.

either way, i'd be just a little concerned. i wouldn't buy the car unless you plan on taking it to a tuner to check the a/f ratio

:nono: Make sure you get the car inspected at a tuner shop and check the a/f. Ask the stealership where the car came from and get background info. Car looks good though besides the price. I would look for 26-27K out the door if it checks out:p

SVTkel

SVTKel
Established Member
Also clearly the after market intake that was on the car was removed. Note the clocked position of the MAF! If you buy the car, go get a tune before you hammer on it.

Last edited:

bigblockbrute

Banned
01strimbullitt said:
looks good!

looks like a stock upper pulley... but someone could have had a smaller one on there buy put the car as close back to stock as possible when selling or trading it in... low miles though so i wouldnt worry about it!

at a dealership they are goona try to mark these things up a million %... all you have to do is work with them and they get it down to a fairly reasonable price...

oh btw... buy the car just for the black on black seats! they look great!
looks like a 2.76 pulley, car was returned to stock, just look at the cai and blower condiiton, scratched blower, shiny cai, unless cars been in a demolition derby, its had some shit returned to stock. Probably a previous twin screw car, I'd stay far far away from it. JMO

r6bullet

Established Member
I was wondering about the tune just like you guys are saying. Most likely reflashed to stock so the guy could sell the tuner, I also noticed the scratches on the blower snout. I am going to go look at in person, I think it looks nice and plus I wanted a white or silver one. I LOVE the black on black seats, if it checks out and the price is right I would like to have it. I may try to find a used predator or something and just bring it with me. Thanks for the help guys

SVTkel said:
Also clearly the after market intake that was on the car was removed. Note the clocked position of the MAF! If you buy the car, go get a tune before you hammer on it.
The MAF is located in the 10' o'clock position in the pic, just like the stocker is.

Juruense

Banned
Stock is at 10:00 just like in the OP's pics.

There is nothing in those pics that indicates a aftermarket intake was removed :shrug:

Last edited:
Kilgore Trout said:
Stock is at 10:00 just like in the OP's pics.

There is nothing in those pics that indicates a aftermarket intake was removed :shrug:

I seriously don't understand that either. Some of these guys are posting like they're forensic experts or something. The only thing we can determine for sure is that there was more than likely an aftermarket tune on this car due to the 2.80/2.76 pulley. I seriously hope the guy wasn't stupid enough to have run the car like that.

ReVviNg HiGh

Rev it up!
Established Member
03ZYTERMINATOR said:
Looks like the Steeda 2.8 pully and 28,900 is way to much.

+1 on the Steeda 2.81 pulley. I have the same one and 28.9 is too much. I bought a 04 cobra in dec. for 23K with 39k miles with $2500 worth in wheels and tires.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread