What Forged Rod's and Piston's Should I Get?

LetsBoost

I want to forge my engine so I can supercharge it. But I don't want to pay a shop to do it. I have friends who work on cars so they can help me. But, I don't know what exactly to get. I was going to go with Summit Racing but their website confused me. So, can anyone help me with what kit I should get?

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Manley seems to be a popular choice. Have you looked at Modmax? They used to have good deals on rods and pistons.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
but are those friends familiar with mod motors? Not that theyre rocket science but there are plenty of little things that can go majorly wrong or weak points wont be properly addressed

you need to have the block already cleaned up and machined to know what the final bore ends up

you need to establish a power goal, whats the absolute most youre gonna put it through to spec out the internals. Dont forget to factor in fuel type if a power adder how much boost/nitrous itll see to determine compression ratio. There are several good manufacturers including Diamond and a lot of people seem to like Gibtec (sp?) for rods you could end up with anything from terminator or boss rods to maybe something like Molnar. Again, lots of choices but more info is needed for anyone to give you better guidance

LetsBoost

but are those friends familiar with mod motors? Not that theyre rocket science but there are plenty of little things that can go majorly wrong or weak points wont be properly addressed

you need to have the block already cleaned up and machined to know what the final bore ends up

you need to establish a power goal, whats the absolute most youre gonna put it through to spec out the internals. Dont forget to factor in fuel type if a power adder how much boost/nitrous itll see to determine compression ratio. There are several good manufacturers including Diamond and a lot of people seem to like Gibtec (sp?) for rods you could end up with anything from terminator or boss rods to maybe something like Molnar. Again, lots of choices but more info is needed for anyone to give you better guidance
My end goal is to get around 600hp out of it. I was told that there is some sort of spray or something that shows the weak points or cracks or so in the block? Either way, I'm really not trying to spend $10k to forge my engine just to spend another $10k putting in a super charger or twin turbo's.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
You can build a forged engine for less than $10k. It takes some shopping and knowing what you're doing though.

As for dropping $10k on a supercharger, you might as well accept it. By the time you buy the kit, the fuel system, the little crap that always pops up, you'll be at or over $10k. Not to mention 600hp requires you to start looking at drivetrain parts too.

Figure out your end goal now. And be honest with yourself. I had beastly car before. It was fun, when it ran. I'm probably having more fun with my current car that's at least 200hp down from my last car.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
if ur goals are not 1200+ hp jus go with Manley H beams and some good pistons. H beams have seen a 1000 hp plenty of times with no issues and will be half the price

I wud opt for some billet oil pump gears although plenty do fine without them

Brutal Metal

Established Member
I'd give a call to MMR and tell them "I heard you have the best prices on your Manley Piston and Rod combo's" Hell they might have some new open box stuff available, they have those type of sales on occasion.

Ironmancuck

Banned
Established Member
I suggest using the Manley 14518-8 I beam rod that is specifically designed for boosted applications. Manley makes a nice piston as well, but you should get it in a custom size because you only want to do a lite clean up hone on the block.
Overbearing the block 10 or 20 over as most people do would be a mistake as the cylinder bores will be weaker.

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
Stop recommending the Manley billet I-beam. He does not need that. Manley H beams or even Boss Coyote rods will meet his goal. If you want to go billet you can look into Molnar rods. Boring the block will have to happen the chances of being able to hone is slim. To do anything but .10 or .20 requires a custom piston which takes on roughly 400-500 more in cost. There are a few companies who do .10 off the shelf and that's what I would look at.

Users who are viewing this thread