What gears are suggested

Mark99GT

Established Member
Yeah I think Motive is what I'm going with. Anyone have an estimate of what a Ford dealer would charge for labor, assuming I supply the parts?

I got a quote from a local shop of $1,100 for r&p, bearings, oil and install.

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
When you do the gear swap, don't forget to replace the axle bearings and seals also. You're already there, so don't waste the opportunity to save future time and money.

robvas

Established Member
Yeah I think Motive is what I'm going with. Anyone have an estimate of what a Ford dealer would charge for labor, assuming I supply the parts?

I got a quote from a local shop of $1,100 for r&p, bearings, oil and install.
I bought the Ford Racing gears for $189, install kit for another $80, and had a shop install them for $300. Don't forget two bottles of your favorite 75-90 for $30

I had a shop quote me $1100 for everything, told them to go pound sand.

cobracide

Established Member
I bought the Ford Racing gears for $189, install kit for another $80, and had a shop install them for $300. Don't forget two bottles of your favorite 75-90 for $30

+ Friction Modifier

Mark99GT

Established Member

So I called around and got labor-only quotes from $750 - $1350...shits not cheap around here I guess. The $1100 quote guy will do it for $600 labor if I supply all parts. He was also recommended by various others, so I'm going with him.

Going with motive performance plus 4.30s, Ford master bearing kit with axle bearings, arp bearing cap stud kit, redline oil, and ford friction modifier. Also trying to find a LPW extra low profile diff cover and ARP bolts.

I also see this REM isotropic finishing that can be done on the ring, pinion, and bearings. Looks interesting, anyone done that?

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Also trying to find a LPW extra low profile diff cover and ARP bolts.

An LPW cover for 05 will fit. They have the SRA 8.8, but have a low profile diff cover for clearance of the Panhard bar.
I have one on my 98. Clears my MM PHB too.

Mark99GT

Established Member
An LPW cover for 05 will fit. They have the SRA 8.8, but have a low profile diff cover for clearance of the Panhard bar.
I have one on my 98. Clears my MM PHB too.
Did you have to order a specific Ultra cover for the 05+? I just called LPW and the guy said they only have one size Ultra, that comes in either natural or black powder coat finish. And that any wording about "extra low profile" was just marketing. I was confused as to if there were actually two different sized SRA 8.8 Ultra covers. Is seems there are not.

So I'm going to go with the Ultra in black.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Did you have to order a specific Ultra cover for the 05+? I just called LPW and the guy said they only have one size Ultra, that comes in either natural or black powder coat finish. And that any wording about "extra low profile" was just marketing. I was confused as to if there were actually two different sized SRA 8.8 Ultra covers. Is seems there are not.

So I'm going to go with the Ultra in black.

You're saying the 05+ is the same part # as the 79-04.
I'm not sure if the 05+ is sold as low profile, it is just built that way due to the PHB.

Mark99GT

Established Member
You're saying the 05+ is the same part # as the 79-04.
I'm not sure if the 05+ is sold as low profile, it is just built that way due to the PHB.
Yeah it sounds like it's the same part#. The guy said they only make one Ultra for the 8.8 (ignoring the color difference).

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Ok just looked, I have the LPW 8.8 rear diff cover, I think I was confusing it with other brands.
LPW uses a low profile cover for all 8.8s, where as some others use a different part # for 05+.
I bought mine a long time ago, sorry about the confusion.
What did you need the low profile for.

Mark99GT

Established Member
Ok just looked, I have the LPW 8.8 rear diff cover, I think I was confusing it with other brands.
LPW uses a low profile cover for all 8.8s, where as some others use a different part # for 05+.
I bought mine a long time ago, sorry about the confusion.
What did you need the low profile for.
No prob, no confusion from you. I was shopping around and different websites had different options or wording. I want to eventually run the MM PH and TA.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
No prob, no confusion from you. I was shopping around and different websites had different options or wording. I want to eventually run the MM PH and TA.

I can definitely confirm the LPW girdle fits with the MM PHB.
I DO get a clunk out back somewhere over harder bumps, but it's not coming from there. I just can't locate it's source.

Mark99GT

Established Member
I can definitely confirm the LPW girdle fits with the MM PHB.
I DO get a clunk out back somewhere over harder bumps, but it's not coming from there. I just can't locate it's source.
Good to know. I was going to go with the TA but the LPW Ultra looks like it gives about 1/2" more clearance.

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
I have the Ford Motorsport on mine. P/N FMS-M-4033-G2.

It also clears the MM adj. anti-roll bar, which has the least amount of space of everything back there.

No knocking, rattling, or contact of any kind.

BobL

Established Member
4.10s are a good fit.
I did not realize how much you can do to a car and with me being a complete novice, it looks like you have a great grasp on what you are doing. I had a cooling question I have just put on line. Perhaps I should check the thermostat. I have seen the reservoir you mentioned, what does that do to assist the cars running? I hope you do not mind y useing your list of things as a guide…..

Bob

cobracide

Established Member
I did not realize how much you can do to a car and with me being a complete novice, it looks like you have a great grasp on what you are doing. I had a cooling question I have just put on line. Perhaps I should check the thermostat. I have seen the reservoir you mentioned, what does that do to assist the cars running? I hope you do not mind y useing your list of things as a guide…..

Bob
My aftermarket reservoir was really just a dress up add on. I don't think it adds much capacity ie.. or helps cooling. As far as cooling mods, The Reisch 170* made a lot of difference.

edit: removed the KC reference, doesn't apply to your car.

Last edited:

BobL

Established Member
3.73 if or when you go FI.
otherwise as others have said above.

I got 3.73 because I planned to go procharger and got talked out of 3.9...now that I plan to stay NA, I wish that I had a bit more gear.
When people talk about boost or something PO, what are these terms meaning? Do you mind if I bounce things off of you, I am a newbie and there is so much to digest, like the guy discussing a certain thermostat and cooling reservoirs for the radiator?

Thanks

Bob

Users who are viewing this thread