What happened to a significantly smaller and lighter 2015 Mustang?

Formula51

Established Member
"The new car retains the current Mustang's 107.1-inch wheelbase, and despite actually looking longer than the 2014 model in person, it's one fifth of an inch shorter overall. The most dynamic change of dimension, though, is the width. The rear track has been stretched from 62.1 to 64.9 inches, and the car is 1.5 inches wider overall. Finally, it's 1.4 inches lower than the today's car."

The new Mustang is bigger, not smaller? And there is no way it is going to lose significant weight if it has grown in size. Not going to happen from an economics standpoint.

Am I missing something.....

RTD

Established Member
200 lbs less is the rumor from Autoweek.

Front fenders are made of aluminum. Front suspension is significantly lighter than current. At the press event this morning Ford said there wasn't a single part on the car that they did not look at for weight reduction.

NOLACLS

Established Member
Thats what I heard too was 200...but then someone on here said 430....I hadn't seen anything official tho. Either way 200lbs is 200 lbs. Every 100 is about a 10th faster right.

01GTB

Established Member
It will shock me if it's any lighter. I said that months ago when the consensus was the car was like 12" shorter. It will have the same components. What the weight comes from is still there.

NOLACLS

Established Member
But they used lighter components so I wouldn't be surprised if its bigger and lighter. Just might mean there will be less to cut for the modders...

Voltwings

Established Member
The transmission apparently has also been reworked with a lighter casing, the front fenders and suspension. When you nickel and dime every component on a car it adds up.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
I hate the fact that they didn't make it any smaller. I think the current car is wayyyy too big and making it wider doesn't help matters. New edge size was perfect.

IT-Purrrs

Established Member
I hate the fact that they didn't make it any smaller. I think the current car is wayyyy too big and making it wider doesn't help matters. New edge size was perfect.

Then it would be looked at as a BRZ/FRS competitor. I am so glad that didn't happen. I know those rumors of the Mustang getting smaller were just a hoax, but they got the proportions of this car right this time around and it looks so very clean.

Formula51

Established Member
first of all those were all rumors. and it is shorter in all respects, just wider, which is good

No, it is identical to the current car in wheelbase and 1/5" shorter in overall length or basically equal. It is lower and wider and while I like that it is wider, it means more body, more material, more weight.

Last edited:

Formula51

Established Member
200 lbs less is the rumor from Autoweek.

Front fenders are made of aluminum. Front suspension is significantly lighter than current. At the press event this morning Ford said there wasn't a single part on the car that they did not look at for weight reduction.

This reminds me of the C7 Corvette. They did a lot to save weight, but added a lot back in with more premium components and content. It sounds like the Mustang may have done a lot of the same things. Plus, the Mustang got bigger (wider) and the Corvette did not. The end result was the C7 was roughly equal in weight to the C6. I don't see it being any different for the Mustang.

What would a 200lbs. reduction put the 2015 Mustang GT curb weight at, about 3,300 - 3,350lbs? I just can't see that happening when I look at what other cars weigh (i.e. Corvette).

twistedneck

Established Member
Rear sub frame and its is like 200lbs heavier than current live axle.. Front got a lot lighter and engine has boss like improvements. Look for 450hp.

Users who are viewing this thread