What happened to the world of guitars?

_Satch_

Established Member
All this amplifier talk has me thinking about the 1967 Blackface Super Reverb I had a couple years back. Sounded INCREDIBLE... weighed a TON! 45 tube watts, hand wired, 4 10 inch speakers, all in a combo! It was really LOUD too. Just practicing in my guitar room, I couldn't turn the volume up above 1. Traded that even up for a NEW Fender American Special Stratocaster. Bought a Mesa-Boogie Mark 5-25 head and a two 12 box. Way more weight manageable and volume appropriate. I mostly practice through a Marshall Code 100. I love all the modeling fx that the amp comes pre-programmed with. Bluetooth links to my phone so you can do all of the effects changes through a Marshall Gateway app. Can also play along with any music already on my phone or via Youtube. Nice little cheaper setup.
-Satch

CV355

_
Established Member
All this amplifier talk has me thinking about the 1967 Blackface Super Reverb I had a couple years back. Sounded INCREDIBLE... weighed a TON! 45 tube watts, hand wired, 4 10 inch speakers, all in a combo! It was really LOUD too. Just practicing in my guitar room, I couldn't turn the volume up above 1. Traded that even up for a NEW Fender American Special Stratocaster. Bought a Mesa-Boogie Mark 5-25 head and a two 12 box. Way more weight manageable and volume appropriate. I mostly practice through a Marshall Code 100. I love all the modeling fx that the amp comes pre-programmed with. Bluetooth links to my phone so you can do all of the effects changes through a Marshall Gateway app. Can also play along with any music already on my phone or via Youtube. Nice little cheaper setup.
-Satch

I went through a "high gain" phase 10 years ago. The typical "max the gain, scoop the mids" amp-noob foolishness that sounds great alone but absolutely terrible in any mix. Then I started really enjoying the natural distortion at lower gain levels. Now, most of my amp sims are sitting at 3 or less. Really enjoying making sims close to Blackstar, Laney, and Orange. I miss my AxeFXII- was stupid of me to sell that thing.

When djent was "the next big thing" and everyone wanted monstrous compression and attack for the chunkiest of chunk, I fell in love with some of the boutique amps and models that the 7 and 8 string guys were swearing by. That whole following sort of fizzled out over the last few years, and now it seems like the "next big thing" is modernization of classic amps and custom IR.

Everything I play is through my PC and VST amp sims.

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
I need a Twin Reverb.

Sent from my [trashcan S5] using the svtperformance.com mobile app
I can build you one. The classic AB763 circuit, just before CBS came in. I can also add a master volume on the Vibrato channel, if you'd like. But it will weigh a ton, and it'll take 10 weeks because that is a lot of soldering! Eleven pots, 6 12AX7 preamp tubes, 4 6L6 power tubes, all the various inputs and outputs on the back and a pair of 12's. Finish it up in plain ol' Black tolex and silver grill, or my favorite: tweed and wheat-cloth grill, or anything in between. PM me for pricing, but just to warn you ahead of time, because I like for people to know what they're getting in to: it definitely will not be cheap. Lifetime warranty, though! (As long as you send it back to me).

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
I can build you one. The classic AB763 circuit, just before CBS came in. I can also add a master volume on the Vibrato channel, if you'd like. But it will weigh a ton, and it'll take 10 weeks because that is a lot of soldering! Eleven pots, 6 12AX7 preamp tubes, 4 6L6 power tubes, all the various inputs and outputs on the back and a pair of 12's. Finish it up in plain ol' Black tolex and silver grill, or my favorite: tweed and wheat-cloth grill, or anything in between. PM me for pricing, but just to warn you ahead of time, because I like for people to know what they're getting in to: it definitely will not be cheap. Lifetime warranty, though! (As long as you send it back to me).
I can't afford to buy one right now, but I will gladly track and release the tracks to you, then ship your equipment back. That is a given James. If I can help someone succeed I'm willing to help.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
I'f the conditions are right, I can come to you, track every amp, and have a lot of fun. If you were next door to me I would lay down studio tracks just for fun. You're one of the good guys and deserve a break.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
@James Snover Im curious about your thoughts on the Mesa Rectifiers. Specifically, when they switched from the Tremoverb to their Solo heads.

I fell in love with the Tremoverb gain. Not a single thing I could do to a Solo head made it sound anything like the sweet nectar that the Tremoverb put out. My guess is that they changed something in their circuit design, perhaps component selection. Im fairly positive that they knew they were going to try and sell a ton of Solo's and needed to make it more... affordable.

Ill ay though that most Mesa's I have ever looked at or handled have been literally, some of the finest amplifiers Ive ever seen. A bad Mesa amp is an outstanding amp from most other manufacturers.

Damnit, I miss my Tremoverb now... haha

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
@James Snover Im curious about your thoughts on the Mesa Rectifiers. Specifically, when they switched from the Tremoverb to their Solo heads.

I fell in love with the Tremoverb gain. Not a single thing I could do to a Solo head made it sound anything like the sweet nectar that the Tremoverb put out. My guess is that they changed something in their circuit design, perhaps component selection. Im fairly positive that they knew they were going to try and sell a ton of Solo's and needed to make it more... affordable.

Ill ay though that most Mesa's I have ever looked at or handled have been literally, some of the finest amplifiers Ive ever seen. A bad Mesa amp is an outstanding amp from most other manufacturers.

Damnit, I miss my Tremoverb now... haha
I know this is going to sound like heresy (and it is just one guy's opinion), but ... I don't really like the modern Mesa amps. And by modern, I mean anything after they went big in the '70's/'80's. Great sound, I'll give them that. And props to them, also, for putting the "boutique amp" on a solid footing for all the rest of us. But I really liked their sound best when they were hot-rodding Champs and Princetons so well that Fender took action to make them stop (which, ironically, inspired them further to go into business with their own name). I can also say they have maintained that quality of sound and build quality, very consistently over the years, far more so than Fender and even Marshall, with their cyclic ups and downs in quality and design.

But for my money, amp design should have stopped about four months before Leo sold out to CBS. And even then, the '50's era Tweeds are my personal all-time favorite of the favorite, for tone. Tube rectifiers and RF chokes, just can't beat them. They're not even part of the signal chain, but they, and Alnico-magnet speakers, "make" the tone.

Again, all one guy's opinion. Mesa makes a great amp, and they're selling every one they make, so take my opinion for what it is worth!

Users who are viewing this thread