what is a good inexpensive every day commuter car?

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
I'm looking to sell my 2012 coyote and get into a cheap every day driving car and add a boosted Coyote later once the cheap car is paid off, so this driver would need to be cheap and as reliable as possible for a low cost car. Figured all you car guys would know of something. I had a 2006 focus 2.0 duratec for a while, sold it for an old truck. Was thinking of getting back into one of those since I know them somewhat. Thoughts? I would like to keep the budget under say $6500. Not worried about looks or special features of any kind besides automatic trans, AC and heat. If you saw the 06 focus I had, you'd understand lol. I see if I can find a picture of it. Thoughts?

Recon

Established Member
GM G platform is a good car, around the 99-03 models. They're targeted by the postal service for their durability and reliability. I have one and its a great car while being dirt cheap. But no northstar engines.
Or a Camry and accord are good cars too.

96 cobra

Established Member
2003-2009 Honda Civic Hybrids had the MPG class action lawsuit, no one wants them because they "only" get mid to high 30s mpg. Prices are always dirt cheap.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
How much could you possibly owe on a 2012 GT? I'd pay it off and boost. As posted above you could acquire an older Honda for next to nothing, park the 12 and DD that.

fulanititoo8198

Established Member
I'm also looking or a hoopty since my new job has parking in the dumps and I want good mpg... I've been looking at classifieds for a few weeks. You could consider a Versa, Civic, Focus, Camry, Accord to name a few.

Never_Enough

Established Member
Thought about leasing a new car? Don't have to worry about wrenching on it FTW. I was about to drop around $5k on a beater when I decided to also check out some new cars that are cheap to lease. I even worked in free oil changes on my deal for the Jetta. I don't have to worry about shit. $160 a mo w/0 down. I'm happy w/that. I don't regret doing this over the $5k CR-V that I almost bought.

With that said, if I can find a decent '99+ Grand Marquis or Crown Vic for a couple grand or so, I will still buy one then maybe look to put the Jetta on the lease swap sites. THat's just because I have car ADD, though. :D

Never_Enough

Established Member
How much could you possibly owe on a 2012 GT? I'd pay it off and boost. As posted above you could acquire an older Honda for next to nothing, park the 12 and DD that.
Where are all these nice old Hondas for $1500? Every one I see listed around here is a POS.

CV355

_
Established Member
I've been pretty happy with my Volvo. 2nd Gen turbo S40s & S60s have hit rock bottom prices and they last well into 300k miles if maintained (like everything else).

32-36mpg highway, average 24 in the city. Not a bad little car. Only downside was the cost of certain repairs. Ouch.

Gravik

Established Member
You can get a new fiesta for 12-13k.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
It's paid off. I'm moving across states this spring. I want a boosted s550 but down the road and need an everyday driver

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
06-12 Ford Fusion with the v6. They are great reliable cars with plenty of room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have an 07 Fusion 4 cyl for a DD and I can't say a bad thing about it. Comfortable, good on gas, all the options I need, very reliable and cheap to maintain (brakes oil change etc).
With a few tasteful visual mods, they can be a pretty sharp looking car too.

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
I have an 07 Fusion 4 cyl for a DD and I can't say a bad thing about it. Comfortable, good on gas, all the options I need, very reliable and cheap to maintain (brakes oil change etc).
With a few tasteful visual mods, they can be a pretty sharp looking car too.

We had an '06 Fusion SE with the 6 cylinder. Out of the multiple cars we owned, it was probably the best and my favorite. Me being taller , it had a ton of room and averaged 24 mpg. It had 147,000 miles on it when we traded it in. All we done to it was brakes, tires and one bad ball joint. I replaced the headlights due to fading.

I wasn't going to trade the car in we liked it so much, but the dealer insisted on getting it due to how they sell so easy.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Same here, exactly actually. I literally just finished up a HID retrofit for my 07. The stock lights were yellowed and wet inside.

How much did this run you? I have an 08 SE myself and love it. My headlights are starting to yellow.

Users who are viewing this thread