what is a good inexpensive every day commuter car?

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
How are these 01-06 Focus? There are 226 of them FS near me under 3k.

I had an 06. Was a member of "focus fanatics" forum. Pretty decent group. If I remember, you want an 05+ with a duratec engine. The previous gens (can't remember the name of the engine) but had some problems like dropping a valve etc. I got mine with 66k on it and sold it with I think 80k. Never had a problem. The intake has these things like a plastic flapper though for idleing and they become brittle and either break or make a ton of noise. Mine was starting to do that and it's about a $200 fix but that's about it. Rock solid tank man. I kind of miss it sometimes. Had roll down windows and no power locks etc.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Our '10 Fusion SE is still beastmode'ing at 180k. Last weekend had to spend a whopping $30 on it, replaced VC gasket plugs and air filter. Plug galleys were completely full of oil, no idea how the car was running but she powers through. Did I ever tell you guys about fording through ****ing rivers in the middle of the Mojave during a torrential downpour on my way to Vegas with it? I had to full speed hydroplane fly across these 1'-2' deep rivers flowing over the road or risk getting stranded in the middle of ****ing nowhere (smack dab between 40 and 15). This car has seen some shit and been through some shit and she keeps on going.

Gravik

Established Member
17f285c9177cc98e7acce25eca88271e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
.View attachment 1441222
Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Cheap for a new car and I know I said I didn't care what it looked like but I guess that's a stretch. Man that's ugly. I drove one of these one time when I got a rental car and maybe it had just been abused but I hated it. Just felt terrible to drive.

mike99

Established Member
My DD is a 2001 e38 BMW (740i). You can buy them for like 2-3K and they'll go to 250K miles with maintenance of course. Lots of DIY info for repairs on the web. Do not buy if you don't do your own work since they charge extra for repairs when it German... And buy parts on the web not at dealerships. Did a lot of work on it when I first got it but so far my cost on it in 2017 is zero! Runs like a top.

Users who are viewing this thread