What is it about German engineering?

deadpres

everyday is caturday
Established Member
Everytime I see a German based automobile driving down the street I can't help but admire. Not only is the styling appealing but they have some incredible aftermarket programs as well. I just feel like American built cars are slapped together while they take their time to pay attention to detail. Obviously Italian falls under this category as well but I'm talking affordable or atleast under 100 grand.

And honestly I have never owned one but I plan to in the future. Hopefully some BMW or Audi owners will chime in.:burnout:

KILRSVT

Established Member
german cars are real well rounded. however they are expensive. real pricy in the maintance as well.better have the money if you plan to have one.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
is this a serious thread? :shrug:

A standard run-of-the mill mustang or f-150 will provide many more years of trouble free ownership than anything coming out of germany. How many benzes/bimmers/audis do you see with +250k miles on them? :rolleyes:

03dsgcobranc

Fujiwara zone
Established Member
german cars are expensive for sure. some do look very good. but parts/cost for maintainence i've heard is high for them compared to others..
i'll stick with my used Avalon for daily driving.

Worsedog

Resident A**hole
Established Member
Seems now days the Germans are trying to out gadget the Japanese. Look at all the extra bs in MB and BMW cars. I think also the German engineering mantra is more parts are better. If one part can do the job, 10 parts will do the same job ten times better. I twisted wrenches in an import repair shop for years and I swear the German stuff, while well made, was way overcomplicated.

Fenah

Crazy Greek Man
Established Member
The thing is with German Automobiles is that they are very appealing and look good on Paper, but are overpriced, have things you'll never use or maybe use once, and cost a shitload to maintain. If you get passed all that you have a fine Automobile.

BDF8

UF Alum. GO GATORS
Established Member
I spent 780$ fixing a tierod on an 07 750i bimmer. I sold it two weeks later. I will never buy german again. Highway robbery. I tried getting it fixed a bmw and it was over a grand. They charge whatever they want. Like someone already said. You better have the money to maintain

SnkBtn99

Speeding bullet!!
Established Member
They sure as shit have to do SOMETHING right.

They certainly don't know how to fight wars and take over the world.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
German engineering is overrated. When you get into working on a German or other European make you'll soon realize how ass-backwards they build their cars, and they have just as many problems as any other.

If you would have said design then that's another story cause I'm really diggin all the new Audis and Benzs, especially the R8!

97WHITEVENOM

Established Member
Germans engineer thier cars as if they will never break down. What kind of engineer would build a mechanical device assuming it would never need maintanence?

jsd512

Wannabe Ghostbuster
Established Member
Lol, the Germans overcomplicate a ham sandwich. They are nice but way too expensive. You get more for your money when you buy american.

Granelli31

Established Member
I think your comparing American economy cars to high dollar German stuff. Have you ever been to Italy, Spain, Germany, or any of the big european countries? I'd say that on average you see better cars in America. They send us the $$ cars and keep the small economy cars over there for the most part.

aaandht

Established Member
VW and Audi are the best of the German cars.

Hell VW just passed Toyota for most cars sold IIRC.

Users who are viewing this thread