What is the best supercharger for a 97 Cobra?

newfie bullet

Established Member
What is the best supercharger for a 97 Cobra? I would like to add a supercharger to my car but which one in the best? I has to be safe also for I wouldn`t want to lose the engine. The car has 130,000km on it right now and still running great.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
jesus you guys know what he means.. Vortech, procharger, and paxton are the choices for centrifugal. and Kenne Bell for the twin screws. Just get the centri and go from there. If your car has that many miles I recommend a used S-trim Vortech kit or a used P1sc procharger kit. you can find many of those for sale here on SVTP for really cheap

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
What is the best supercharger for a 97 Cobra? I would like to add a supercharger to my car but which one in the best? I has to be safe also for I wouldn`t want to lose the engine. The car has 130,000km on it right now and still running great.

The problem here is that you want safe. Adding a supercharger to a stock high mileage motor, is just asking for problems. The safe thing to do is have your compression checked to find out how healty your motor is.

From another thread I posted in...
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/sn95-cobras-24/720061-i-hit-wall.html

A KB is prefect for a stock motor, its simple to install and far less complicated than a vortech or procharger as I have had both (blower spacing issues, belts slipping, or shreading or jumping, oil drain and feed lines (vortech), intercooler piping popping off, the added weight ect..

KB may not have the ability to achieve high HP like a centrifical but for good performance thats streetable they are great.

Dont get me wrong, my p1sc, d1sc and t trim are/were lots of fun, but for a stock motor I'd get a 1.5 or 2.1 KB with some 3.73's.

Immortal LuD

Established Member
Rule the solar system, hahaha! :)

I'm in the same boat. I was actually about two clicks away from buying a D1SC ProCharger for my Mystic.

I held out, and happy that I did. I never found good deals on a Kenne Bell.

Where is the best place to get a ProCharger or KB from anyway?!

LitleWhiteSnake

Yeah, Its a VTEC
Established Member
if you want to have fun on the street get a kb..

kb's do not make as much hp as the centris but they perform just as well or even better

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I love the reliability and low end grunt that a positive displacement blower gives.
If it were me, I'd go KB. No doubt about it. Lots more fun for the street. Should be safer for your higher mileage motor too.

spyder1337

It's LEGIT
Established Member
I had a p1 and d1 on my cobra but the motor was built and those were a lot of fun but they also have their issues with slip and shredded belts along with alignment issues popping up from time to time it seemed like. Maybe just a nitrous kit so you could have it when you need it and not have to worry about it hurting the motor all the time.

spyder1337

It's LEGIT
Established Member
All these people saying KB, have any of you had a centri blower on your car? I mean I know they don't make the same instant torque but the 1.5 isn't exactly much of a gain in terms of performance over a s trim or p1sc, low 11x vs mid to high 11x mph at the track with the centri not to mention the better efficiency.

foxman92

Its slow
Established Member
i had both the kb 1.5, and a vortech s trim on my car.. i would deff, go with the kb for a street car.. the vortech sounded great.. but you have to realize your not going to make good boost until higher rpms.. the kenne bell will reach full boost by 2500rpm, and hold it all the way up the rpm range.. im thinking about buying the new 2.1kb for my car, and running it with meth..

Users who are viewing this thread