what is the HPlevel at which you start breaking stuff.

BURGESS04COBRA

Established Member
OK new to this cobra and the irs . Basically what can all the stock stuff handle. engine, trans, rear diff, axles etc . I know everyone says do a irs brace or new frpp diff cover but at what hp do i need to do this and how much hp will each hold and can they be used together for extra help and what about the stock trans and engine everything i hear is 1000hp on enginge as for the internals and not heard anything on trans . thanks .

testorossa1989

Established Member
Alright fair question. The engine has urban legends of holding 800. There are a lot of guys pushing high 700s on a stock block. IRS can hold a lot of power as well but expect to blow cover seals like crazy if you drop the hammer hard. Many go SRA for times and strip. Halfshafts do pretty well also. Transmission is good for almost 800 if you have a 26spline. All around its all setup to support 800hp with the correct and appropriate mods. It depends if you have a weak car or a strong car really. Thats all factoring in the idea that your not beating the car every single day like a GT.

Last edited:

03Cobranator

Established Member
Alright fair question. The engine has urban legends of holding 800. There are a lot of guys pushing high 700s on a stock block. IRS can hold a lot of power as well but expect to blow cover seals like crazy if you drop the hammer hard. Many go SRA for times and strip. Halfshafts do pretty well also. Transmission is good for almost 800 if you have a 26spline. All around its all setup to support 800hp with the correct and appropriate mods. It depends if you have a weak car or a strong car really. Thats all factoring in the idea that your not beating the car every single day like a GT.
This

BURGESS04COBRA

Established Member
looking at a ported eaton or step up to whipple or vmp tvs ...didnt know how much hp the rear diff could take with out a brace or with a brace or the new cover from ford or if i can run them together i hear about people braking half shafts and wonder how much they can hold thanks for feed back

nextime

Termi? Read Signature
Established Member
You dont need an IRS brace, you just need to replace all the IRS bushings with the FTBR set! That slop in the factory bushings is what makes the rear end weak.

xXSnakeBiteXx

Established Member
It really depends on how you drive the car. The IRS is the weakest link, followed by the transmission. The amount of driveline slop these cars have plays a roll as well, you really have to be smooth with the pedals. Lay off when the hop starts because half shafts are expensive, and don't cheap out on rubber.:beer:

Last edited:

nextime

Termi? Read Signature
Established Member
My car is in their shop right now, Bruce did the work on my car. See the links below.

Also some Full Length Subframe Connectors will help the car.

cool i was gonna go with the bushing kit from them and the machined diff cover

Last edited:

testorossa1989

Established Member
It really depends on how you drive the car. The IRS is the weakest link, followed by the transmission. The amount of driveline slop these cars have plays a roll as well, you really have to be smooth with the pedals. Lay off when the hop starts because half shafts are expensive, and don't cheap out on rubber.:beer:

^This.

The right tire means a lot. Since i went to DR as a daily tire my wheel hop has been eliminated

Users who are viewing this thread