What is the limiting factor on the 13/14 GT500s?

paluka21

Established Member
Although the 331's may be a tad too much. I can't even imagine having 3.73's in my 13. I would think you would need to have heated up drag radials to even cruise around. I personally like the 331 and having long gears, with over 600 lb of tq you need to "ride it out" and use its potential rather than shifting before your even getting to use all the tq the motor has. I would think a 3.55 would be maybe the "perfect gear" for these cars. To the point id take a 331 over a 373 in these cars for street or drag racing all day, I'd bet 8/10 times the 331 would beat it out as well, the 331 may not pull and "feel" as fast, but IT IS

Not true. At all. I have 3.73's and they're not steep gears at all, and they don't require heated up drag radials to be able to cruise around. Matter of fact, I have the STOCK tires on my car temporarily and have driven in 50 degree weather. Don't get me wrong, you have to use your sense even with the 3.31 gears on chilly roads and stock tires.
But a 3.73 in this car is not a "drag racing" gear, nor is it too steep. The PP 2011-2012 cars came WITH a 3.73 rear from the factory. Even a 4.10 gear would even be tempting because with 3.73's the gears still feel "long".
A 3.55 wouldn't be much different than the 3.31 and probably wouldn't be worth the time/effort to install.

fearthesnake

Established Member
Not true. At all. I have 3.73's and they're not steep gears at all, and they don't require heated up drag radials to be able to cruise around. Matter of fact, I have the STOCK tires on my car temporarily and have driven in 50 degree weather. Don't get me wrong, you have to use your sense even with the 3.31 gears on chilly roads and stock tires.
But a 3.73 in this car is not a "drag racing" gear, nor is it too steep. The PP 2011-2012 cars came WITH a 3.73 rear from the factory. Even a 4.10 gear would even be tempting because with 3.73's the gears still feel "long".
A 3.55 wouldn't be much different than the 3.31 and probably wouldn't be worth the time/effort to install.
Agree. For me the 3.73 gear install fits my driving better than the long 3.31s. 3.31s are nice on long Interstate drives, sure. But all around and in town driving, 3.73s are perfect.

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
The only thing I miss about the 3.31s are the 3rd gear pulls to 130 mph. Other than that..nothing, the 3.73 is far superior as a dd gear imo.

Jam421

Jam421
Established Member
I did the 373's when I first got my '13 . My buddy who owns a stock gear '14 drove my car. As he was jumping on the gas he said my car felt " so much lighter". Maybe it's the front end lifting on the shocks as he stabbed it :)->) ? Now with 410's ( actually 390 due to tall tire) I can roll at 15/20/25/30 and STAB the pedal in 2nd ..anywhere between 2100-2600 rpms the car dead hooks with 25psi MT's. The key is " stab it" like you're stomping a wasp.
3rd gear at redline ...no lift off gas...dead hook. My wife has an aftermarket headrest for just these occasions.
Back on topic....A friend of mine has a most awesome Black with Titanium stripe '07. That car makes BIG power and looks like a sleek predator on the street and sounds wicked. Another buddy has a showroom White with Blue stripe '07... MT's on 20's making high 600's HP . Anyone trying to knock him off a red light with his 373's was in for quite a surprise ! He went up to 410's but is now planning back to 373's because....wait for it ....Trinity upgrade !! Best bang for the buck from FRPP incl.CJ 65TB, stock elbow, 2.67 upper for $2700..Wow.
Bottom line : GT500's are awesome cars no matter the year...they rock . 2TONSOFUN!

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I have a 13 and raced a friends 2011 gt500. My 13 has a jlt intake and 20" drag radials. The 2011 had upgraded injectors, fuel pumps, upper pulley, lower pulley, headers and full exhaust, throttle body, intake, 15" wheels in the back with slicks, 17" wheels up front, and was a track pack with 3.73s. The 2011 was on e_85 and my 2013 was on 93. We were dead even until 140 and he pulled slightly ahead to where I was at his rear quarter panel. Yeah I'm going to say I'm happy with my rung out 2013, any of the mods from his car to mine whether it's the pulleys, headers, e-85, or smaller wheels and it would have been a different outcome.

I would say the 11 did a DAMN fine job considering the blower.

Although the 331's may be a tad too much. I can't even imagine having 3.73's in my 13. I would think you would need to have heated up drag radials to even cruise around. I personally like the 331 and having long gears, with over 600 lb of tq you need to "ride it out" and use its potential rather than shifting before your even getting to use all the tq the motor has. I would think a 3.55 would be maybe the "perfect gear" for these cars. To the point id take a 331 over a 373 in these cars for street or drag racing all day, I'd bet 8/10 times the 331 would beat it out as well, the 331 may not pull and "feel" as fast, but IT IS

Agree with most of this. 3.55 might be perfect. My car is BONE stock with much less HP than a 13/14 and will burn the tires from a roll on in 1st gear through some of 2nd. Granted, old stock tires but with 3.73s it would probably burn them from a 2nd gear roll.

3.55s would take you to 140 mph in the 1/4 and have you right at 6000 rpm going through the traps.

the 3.31 cars should be just as fast as you point out, although it wont feel that way. Only thing i dont like about them is the chatter taking off from a stop.

I have 3.73s sitting on my bench right now left over from my 2014 TT car and im actually having second thoughts about installing them in the GT500.

paluka21

Established Member
I would say the 11 did a DAMN fine job considering the blower.

Agree with most of this. 3.55 might be perfect. My car is BONE stock with much less HP than a 13/14 and will burn the tires from a roll on in 1st gear through some of 2nd. Granted, old stock tires but with 3.73s it would probably burn them from a 2nd gear roll.

3.55s would take you to 140 mph in the 1/4 and have you right at 6000 rpm going through the traps.

the 3.31 cars should be just as fast as you point out, although it wont feel that way. Only thing i dont like about them is the chatter taking off from a stop.

I have 3.73s sitting on my bench right now left over from my 2014 TT car and im actually having second thoughts about installing them in the GT500.

Not trying to be a dick, but you're comparing apples to oranges with the two cars. Your transmission gearing is different, power band different, and redline different. Not to mention, a different motor.
And yes, with stock tires a 3.73 will make the car spin worse. But why would anyone keep stock tires anyways? They're on my car now because my super snake wheels are getting widened, but other than that I would never consider them.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Having owned both cars, id imagine i know and fully understand the difference between both transmissions.... but thanks!

"why" anyone would keep the stock tires has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that 3.73s will make tire spin worse.

I will agree though, that the 3.73s would be more tame on a TR6060 vs. the MT82. Although the fact that a GT500 has anywhere from 80-140 MORE horsepower than a regular GT somewhat negates that argument anyway.

paluka21

Established Member
Having owned both cars, id imagine i know and fully understand the difference between both transmissions.... but thanks!

"why" anyone would keep the stock tires has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that 3.73s will make tire spin worse.

I will agree though, that the 3.73s would be more tame on a TR6060 vs. the MT82. Although the fact that a GT500 has anywhere from 80-140 MORE horsepower than a regular GT somewhat negates that argument anyway.
A "GT" is not the same as a GT500 unless you "Fat fingered" your signature. Get it right.
And if you're adding 3.73's gears, running around on stock tires, and complaining about spinning, I would say your priorities of modifications are off.
Most owners will add a better tire anyways particularly when adding a gear. Just common sense.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
My sig is perfectly correct. You either

A. Do no read much, or well.
B. Have no idea what trans/motor combo came in a mustang GT in 2014.

And please point to where i was "complaining" about tire spin. I merely pointed out a fact.

Your posts are so full of misinformation its ridiculous. Here's a good one just for fun:

As a matter of mathematical fact, 3.55s are closer to 3.73s than they are to 3.31s.

So again, more nonsensical info based purely on conjecture and one's opinion....

Carry on.

paluka21

Established Member
My sig is perfectly correct. You either

A. Do no read much, or well.
B. Have no idea what trans/motor combo came in a mustang GT in 2014.

And please point to where i was "complaining" about tire spin. I merely pointed out a fact.

Your posts are so full of misinformation its ridiculous. Here's a good one just for fun:

As a matter of mathematical fact, 3.55s are closer to 3.73s than they are to 3.31s.

So again, more nonsensical info based purely on conjecture and one's opinion....

Carry on.

Let me help deflate that ego.

For one, I got it right; you have a 2007 GT500 which is entirely different than a 2013/2014 GT500, and sold a mustang GT that you're attemtping to compare to a 2013/2014 GT500. Facts.
Second, I couldn't care less what your mustang GT had for a transmission nor about your 2007 GT500. I have no interest in either car and neither one of your cars are what the poster was asking a question on. It's apples to oranges.
Third, so, let's see who's spreading misinformation: The guy who's on here trying to give advice to an OWNER of a 2013/2014 Shelby GT500 on the best gear ratio choices, who doesn't even own the same model year car himself, or someone who actualy owns the car, has both gears in question, -AND- has run a multitude of different tire combinations with several different gear combinations. I think the answer speaks for itself.
Go crawl back in your hole dude with your irrelavent 2007 GT500 and spread your advise elsewhere. Welcome to my ignore list because you have nothing to offer.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Lol! Glad Hillary got your vote. Her people are the only ones who cant hold an intelligent conversation and instantly resort to "ignore" lists when feelings get hurt.

Feel free to use either bathroom you'd like.

Classic!

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
Since there have been some math conversations: 662 - 420 = 242 hp difference. Would I put 3.73's on a stock tire 13/14 GT500? Nope. But, the general consensus around here is the first thing you do after you take the plastic off your new GT500 is get new tires or take it to a road course. Once you have new tires, the 3.73's are a way better dd gear than the 3.31 gears. That's the opinion of someone who actually has the car, the gear, and non stock tires.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Fair enough and as I said earlier, I have a set on my bench that will likely find their way into the car.

We shall see.

Beercules

Established Member
Seems like until just recently the argument had been whether to go 3.73 or 4.10. At 3.90 I'm turning 2000 rpm at 80mph so its out of the lugging range.

Why are you talking about gear ratios on the getrag? If you want to drag race it, get the auto! Those are the gt's that beat me.

Also, the chief complaint about the 3v gt trans was the very short first gear and having to shift immediately or start in second.

Jam421

Jam421
Established Member
I think I forgot what this thread was about. But I do know one thing.
Most of the time even among guys with the highest knowledge there will be disagreement on what's the better gear for the other guy. It depends on if you're at the track every weekend, or once, or never. It's how you drive, how you feel, what mods, what tires you have and I imagine many other variables.

Every GT500 model year was designed by Ford to compete with the market at that point in time and every GT500 model year had " limiting factors". That's one reason why there's a Ford Racing Tech Line and all the reasons why there's such a lucrative aftermarket.

We are all lucky guys to even be having these spirited conversations !

mebetter

Established Member
The cost for virtually every modification for the 2010-2014 gt500s is the same. Barring the difference in purchase price for the cars for the different years, pound for pound and dollar for dollar, every dollar spent on the 2013-2014 will put you ahead of the 2011-2012; therefore it's asinine to say the 2011-2012 is superior in performance to the 2013-2014; physics, economics, and common sense don't lie.

mgmustang1

Established Member
This guy is smoking some bad s*** 100%. 2010 was the worst year my A**. my 2010 was doing 11.2 with a mail order tune and a 2.6 pulley with drag radials stock blower. 2010 could be tweaked better than 07-09 because of knock sensors. I recently stepped up to the 13 gt500 and sold the 2010. I call it a step up because everything was upgraded for cooling and longevity to make big power. I hate they didnt upgrade the rods but launch control, intercooler, transmission cooler, better fan, heat exchanger, electronics, tvs blower, clutch upgraded, CF Driveshaft, and 200MPH stock! "You're FIRED"! -- Donald Trump

gearhead08

Established Member
After extensive, and I mean extensive research and owing a 2009 GT500 from the stock 440rwhp to around 770rwhp. My opinion is 4.10s in the 2013/2014 gt500 because with that and a tad bit taller tire you will run 4th gear out around 140mph. This basically the same mph my 2009 gt500 would run out of gear in 4th with 3.73s. That right there shows the 2007-09s are geared heavier compared to the 13/14s and the 11-12s are geared even stronger. I hope that helps in some form. I also have a 13 gt500 now with is completely stock. This thing has rediculously long gears.

CV355

_
Established Member
Don't get me wrong, you have to use your sense even with the 3.31 gears on chilly roads and stock tires..

+65,000

I found out the hard way that these cars can spin 'em up in 5th when driving into work on a 40 degree morning. Half throttle and the car was in full crowd-munching mode.

Users who are viewing this thread