WHAT IS THE OPTIMUM DAMPERS & SPRINGS for 2014 GT/CS

freemanjc

Established Member
Friends,

Have not logged on for a while. However, I have BMR Springs with steeda Proaction Shocks and struts. Not really happy with the ride quality. Car has 10,00o miles and I decided to make a change. I am requesting opinions on what is the optimum set up for this vehicle. I would like to feel more connected to the road and a firm but not feeling like a bunny rabbit when driving. The first set of dampers I had was the FRPP racing dampers/SR Lowering springs. I felt connect to the road until I was driving over dimes, nickels and pennies. The ride was awfully ruff.

Then I switched to BMR Sp009 Springs and Steeda Pro-action Dampers. Although the ride has softened now I don't feel connected to the road any longer. I know, maybe I am hard to please but since I have added a VMP Blower I need to have the confidence in the drive while putting the power to the pavement. I do have Steed Lower and Upper Control arms as well, so please keep this in mind when making your suggestion. I was suggested to try the Steed Sport Springs with my Steeda Pro-Action dampers.

However, I read that the Takico D' spec are nice but no one mention the springs to match. Also, I see people running KONI Sport Adjustable. Once again they don't mention the springs. This is the last time I going to make this change and I want to do it the right way this time. Air ride is out because of cost.

If any of you fine gentleman can suggest the optimal suggestion I greatly appreciate it. I don’t track, but do a little spirited driving around town and on I 95 and I-64. Any help you can provide would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Freedogg!

imeyers302

Established Member
Currently running Steeda Sports with Koni Yellows. If you ask me, for the way it handles, I think the ride is pretty good. Definitely feel very connected to the road but I have gone way above springs and shocks. Some of my friends think it rides hard and others are amazed at the ride considering the way the car handles. It's very subjective.

hand-filer

Established Member
There's no such thing as a lowered Mustang with a factory like pillow soft ride. It involves compromising a little bit.

I replaced the factory Brembo handling package parts with Steeda Ultralites and Koni Yellows. The Brembo package is harsh compared to the regular GT suspension so the switch for me was no problem. I went from firm and bouncy to firm and controlled. The Ultralites provide a 1 1/4'' front, 1 1/2'' rear drop but with the added weight of the blower I ended up with a 1 1/2" drop all around. I'm real happy with the outcome.

One last thought. I recently replaced the factory Pirelli P Zero's with BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp 2's. The improvement was immediately noticeable in terms of compliance, traction and reduced noise. The car rides much nicer on roads with rough surfaces and the bouncing basketball sound going over expansion joints is virtually non existent now. So don't overlook the tires as they are a major part of the overall package.

HF

noldevin

Established Member
Unfortunately you're in a "have your cake and eat it too" situation. The more "connected" you feel with the road, the more you're going to feel imperfections in the road.
That being said, I think you should give Vorshlag a call and ask them about their street pro kit.

sur_real1

I Am The Organizer
Established Member
The SP009 springs are pretty soft. On that note, you should do a bit more chassis tuning to get the feel that you want. Since you are running such a soft spring and damper combo, get the BMR 5 way adjustable from sway bar and boss rear sway bar. Upgrade from the panhard bar to the BMR watts link, lower the roll center to its lowest position. If you don't have relocation brackets for your LCA's, get them and flatten out your LCA's to the ground at ride height.

Look into a softer side wall performance tire as well. The bridgestones and toyos have a pretty soft side wall and will give you a bit more soft ride, but maintain decent handling. However, not a ton of hook, like most non-drag performance tires.

Just my .02.

freemanjc

Established Member
Been awhile since I posted , but I have purchased Koni Yellow's and steeda Ultra Lites. I have not installed them yet but I will keep you posted. Talking to Mr. Strano my current set up is not a good match for each other during spirited driving.
BMR SP009/Steeda pro action shocks and struts.

Users who are viewing this thread