What is the point of the LDM Freeplay Kit?

silvercoffin

Established Member
I have been told by JDM Engineering that there should be "no slack in the cable but not too tight" The Muscle Mustang and Fast Fords Article says "no slack but so that there is some play back and forth" side to side i think that means. They say 1/2 to 1 inch back and forth play at the trans.

What is the point of the LDC Freeplay kit if there isnt supposed to be any cable slack anyway?

If i adjust it the way that has been described by these two good sources then there should be no free play in the pedal.

Thoughts?

With all my complaints abouit shifting, I am going to try exactly what they say and I am taking off the LDC spring. It also does not stay centered on the cable. I am wondering if it could be causing problems.

big blue oval

Established Member
The freeplay kit is designed to allow you to not have a constant engagement of the throwout bearing prolonging the life of the bearing,while keeping the clutch pedal from rattling.

silvercoffin

Established Member

Ok thanks thats what i have heard.. but is it really necessary then?

if you adjust it as described by JDM or the magazine then there will be no free play in the pedal or very very little. they both say the cable should have no slack but not be so tight that you cant move the cable side to side..

If you have free play in the cable then I can see the need for the spring.

I'm looking forward to taking it out and adjusting the cable as described by those two sources.

jbrown1238

Built on 4-7-03 @ 3:47:15
Established Member
The kit is well worth the money. I have had one on my Cobra for 25,000 miles now. Until I went with the steel bearing retainer, Fiore quadrant & adjuster, and Free play kit I was having continuing issues with TB's.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
where do you get the freeplay kit from now that LDC is not making stuff anymore

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
When you release the pedal, the clutch P/P fingers push the TOB back. However, the TOB can still be in light contact with the P/P fingers which will cause it to turn all of the time. This will cause the TOB to fail, usually before the clutch does.

When you install the spring, and adjust it correctly, the spring will force the clutch arm back enough (which pulls the TOB away from the P/P fingers) so the TOB can be at rest. I have studied it extensively and they have done it right. I have seen others who put a spring on the clutch arm and then attach it farther back on the transmission casing so it acts like a spring on a screen door. Same thing but not as stealth or as elegant.

silvercoffin

Established Member

ok so the original purpose of the kit is mute...it is not needed for pedal freeplay because there is none if your clutch is adjusted the way it should be, but i should put it back on to protect the TOB

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
ok so the original purpose of the kit is mute...it is not needed for pedal freeplay because there is none if your clutch is adjusted the way it should be, but i should put it back on to protect the TOB
No, that is incorrect.

If the clutch is adjusted correctly, that is, there is a small gap between the pressure plate fingers and the TOB, there will be slop at the top of the pedal and you will be able to push the TOB back off of the PP fingers with the clutch kit.

If you adjust the clutch the way you intend to, the will be no slop and the TOB will be touching the PP fingers constantly and the clutch kit will not be able to move the TOB away.

ShortThrow50

Always buyin cheap tires
Established Member

put a aftermarket quadrant and fw adjuster on then ask the question if there is a need for the freeplay kit. you will see how bouncy your clutch pedal is then. Yeah its a good mod

silvercoffin

Established Member

thats my point here. Its still a good mod for a cobra to keep the bearing safe

BUT for if you have the clutch adjusted correctly in an 03-04 cobra you will have such little pedal freeplay that there is no need for the spring.

I finally figured out my problems and it was adjustment related. I always had the cable too loose. For my car to shift well there needs to be NO slack in the cable but not so tight that I slip the clutch... as it was stated in MMFF Magazine...no slack but you should be able to flex the cable 1/2 an inch. This equates to NO space between the adjuster and firewall and it often means you will be spinning the throw out bearing when the clutch is not pressed. (I ALSO HAVE A MYSTERIOUSLY LOOSENING CABLE THAT LOOSENS AFTER YOU PRESS IN THE CLUTCH PEDAL A FEW TIMES)

So the kit is still a good idea. But not needed in a cobra for its original purpose. Thats all I mean.

I would love to keep the spring on and keep my pedal engaging real low but then I cant shift at high rpms.

silvercoffin

Established Member

I Still Think This Is A Good Mod For A Cobra

Especially If You Adjust The The Cable Correctly...it Lengthens The Life Of Your Throw Out Bearing.

red04svtcobra

Foxbody search is on!!
Established Member
If you have an aftermarket adjuster and quadrant it is needed!!! If everything is stock then I don't believe you need it. I like mine, oh and that spring will never remain centered,but won't hurt anything at all.

silvercoffin

Established Member

If you have an aftermarket adjuster and quadrant and you need that kit to correct pedal play then you arent adjusting the cable correctly. It is not needed for pedal free play....in my car anyway... when the cable is adjusted correctly there is no free play in it.

I have it out right now.. i went to the track there is no pedal free play and the car finally shifted great. I am going to put it back in just to help protect the TOB. Thats why I say its still a worthy mod.

Its stupid to argue about it i guess..

Patriot Guy

Established Member
Gents, Could any explain or provide the reference on how to adjust your clutch after the Fiore FW adj and Quadarant install. I just ordered the LDC freeplay Mod. Does it come with good installation instructions?

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Gents, Could any explain or provide the reference on how to adjust your clutch after the Fiore FW adj and Quadarant install. I just ordered the LDC freeplay Mod. Does it come with good installation instructions?

Yes, they are good. I wrote them myself. :D The install guide even has pictures!! The adjustment procedure is also described.

It shouldn't take more than 30 seconds to install the kit, once the underside of the car is accessible.

Dan

Juruense

Banned
With an aftermarket quad and adjuster you will have 1/2" of freeplay in the clutch pedal at the top of its travel when adjusted properly. The spring takes up this slack. However, the spring makes it more difficult to tell if your clutch is adjusted properly.

silvercoffin

Established Member
ADJUSTMENT? the info here doesnt make sense

What is being stated on this thread just doesnt add up to me...

"With an aftermarket quad and adjuster you will have 1/2" of freeplay in the clutch pedal at the top of its travel when adjusted properly."

PLease explain.

How is that possible when the shops (including JDM ENgineering) and the article in MMFF Magazine recommend tightening the cable so that there is :

"no free play, but 1/2 inch flex at the inspection cover"

When you adjust the cable as described there will be very little or no pedal play and no need for this kit...aside from possibly extending the life of the throw out bearing which may be a reason to use it still i suppose.

I only found the kit useful when I was trying to keep my clutch engaging closer to the floor, but I was told over and over that is incorrect and was the cause ofmy shifting issues. That turned out not to be the case, but I just dont know who to believe...

I guess I tend to believe the magazine and JDM...

Users who are viewing this thread