What is your daily beater? Do you enjoy it?

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
2 weeks ago I paid $4.09 gal for premium on my way home from work and I thought to myself **** this **** I'm not doing this anymore. The moment I got home, took the consensus advice from a similar thread as this and got on CL and found a nice condition 2000 Civic EX for $800 bucks, picked it up the next morning. It needed $221 in parts and about an hour of time to get it back up and running and so far I am getting 36.5 mpg... loving that this car should help me keep around $300 in the bank each month over driving the GT500.

Holy crap, Seattle is a fuel bitch. I just paid $2.98 for 93 this morning.

GodStang

Established Member
Just sold my 2011 BMW 335d msport. The twin turbo diesel made it so fun to drive but it being a BMW the check engine light was always on. Bought a 2010 Explorer it just has not been delivered yet so I have been driving my 88 Jeep Wrangler hunting vehicle.

RES0574

Established Member
My beater for when I am in NJ/NY:

2015 Ford Explorer Sport, 69,700 Miles. Has a ding here and there, but drives well otherwise. Makes parking easy when I am in Bay Ridge or Vinegar Hill/BNY.
Explorer 1.jpg
Explorer 2.jpg

If I am around the house or down south, I drive the 17 F350:

1 F350.jpg
2 F350.jpg

Sn95Snake

Established Member
Have you and your GF considered a 2018 JL? Is it more of an evolutionary step or revolutionary going from the JK to the JL?

To be honest we haven't really considered it and wouldn't for a couple years. Currently we are very happy with our JKU, and we are not believers of purchasing vehicles brand new (total waste of money IMO).

In a few years time we may consider going to a JL Truck, but we would want to see how they perform and let someone else take the depreciation.

J.Rovirosa

Established Member
1995 Explorer and it's a perfect, if somewhat boring, daily driver. 425k miles on the original bottom end and counting, it's never left me stranded in the 18 years we've had it, dirt-simple and cheap to fix, and is the perfect size for the city driving I do. Doesn't attract attention like the Cobra or Lightning, I sit at just the right height in it, and doesn't go fast enough for me to get into trouble.

If I ever have to replace it, I'm getting a first-gen Sport Trac.

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
1995 Explorer and it's a perfect, if somewhat boring, daily driver. 425k miles on the original bottom end and counting, it's never left me stranded in the 18 years we've had it, dirt-simple and cheap to fix, and is the perfect size for the city driving I do. Doesn't attract attention like the Cobra or Lightning, I sit at just the right height in it, and doesn't go fast enough for me to get into trouble.

If I ever have to replace it, I'm getting a first-gen Sport Trac.

Tranny hasn’t gone out yet? 4.0 4x4?

J.Rovirosa

Established Member
OK this is impressive, I would however be looking for some wood to knock on right quick !

Oh, I know it's on borrowed time and think about when it will finally let go constantly. The first 2 transmissions went out with around 100k on them, so I'm more worried about that than I am the 4.0, which aside from the head gaskets has a reputation for being pretty bulletproof. The last transmission in it though really makes the case for adding a shift kit and not using OD in the city.

J.Rovirosa

Established Member
Tranny hasn’t gone out yet? 4.0 4x4?

On its third trans. 4.0 OHV, 4x2. Parents have almost 300k on their '03 Limited 4.0 SOHC and the only things I've done to that one have been the water pump, oil cooler, thermostat housing, and cam cover gaskets. Still on its original transmission, too. Only thing I dislike about it is the timing chain that runs around the back of the passenger's side head...I think there were Audi engineers moonlighting at Ford when they came up with that one.

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
On its third trans. 4.0 OHV, 4x2. Parents have almost 300k on their '03 Limited 4.0 SOHC and the only things I've done to that one have been the water pump, oil cooler, thermostat housing, and cam cover gaskets. Still on its original transmission, too. Only thing I dislike about it is the timing chain that runs around the back of the passenger's side head...I think there were Audi engineers moonlighting at Ford when they came up with that one.

Ok 3rd trans. Now I believe you. :). I’ve had 2 4.0 explorers and both trannies went out just after 100k.

That 300k limited trans is a factory freak.

Users who are viewing this thread