What kind of Blu-Ray player do you have and what do you like/dislike about it?

oilwell1415

Established Member
I'm looking for my first Blu Ray player and was wondering what everybody had. I found a Samsung I kinda like, but my last DVD player was a Samsung and I wasn't that thrilled with it. It would play every DVD in the house except Full Metal Jacket. WTF? The DVD worked in everything except that player. The Samsung finally died from a lightning strike and now I've got a cheapo Phillips that I'm not all that fond of. The only real requirement for the new player is that it has to upconvert DVDs as well.

Jaysin

Established Member
I just bought this LG model about a month ago. Working fine thus far and I have no complaints. I just wanted a bare bones Blu Ray Player, and this met my requirements, I don't use netflix or anything, and I use Pandora on my phone, so I don't need it on a Blu Ray Player, but this one has both.

Heres a review of it:
LG BD550 Review - Watch CNET's Video Review

Edit: And I got it from Buy.com for $102.99 with free shipping, which I thought was a great deal. They still have them for $102, but you have to cover shipping which is $11.01. So the total price is $114.00

Last edited:

hunterp

Established Member
I had a Samsung blu-ray that broke twice and I wasn't going to pay twice to get it fixed. Kicked it to the curb and picked up a Sony BDP-S570. Pretty quick to load discs, has Netflix, but mostly just works very well.

CLN 6R

Established Member
Sony BDP-S301.

Kind of an old model, it's slow on start up, and newer Blu-Ray is slow to load them up.

Instigator99

427 whaaaaat?
Established Member
I just have my PS3. Works just fine for Blu-Ray. Plus the whole game system/web browser/netflix is great to have too.

-Eric

20redfire03

Established Member
PS3 here and blu ray is the only reason I bought it plus the off chance a game comes out that I want.

99cobra302

Established Member
and another on the PS3...also bought it for the Blu-Ray ability, ended up using it for blu-rays and a few games and the (limited) web browser

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
PS3 here also. Funny as I do not even play games. Reality is their player was comparable with some of the higher end models out there and Games / Netflix were just a plus.

Hmbre97

Eaton powered
Established Member
I had a Samsung blu-ray that broke twice and I wasn't going to pay twice to get it fixed. Kicked it to the curb and picked up a Sony BDP-S570. Pretty quick to load discs, has Netflix, but mostly just works very well.

I've got the BDP-S370 and like it. Same as the above model minus the built-in wireless since it wasn't needed. I mainly like it because it is DLNA compliant so I can use my PlayOn media server with it to stream pretty much anything I want on it.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
I have a PS3 but a couple of years ago I wanted a dedicated BR player for the bedroom. I picked up an LG BD390. It was the first BR player with built in wifi. It's one of the fastest to load discs and has superb image quality. Very happy with it and I imagine the newer model LG players are good too.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
PS3 rocks. Love the wireless streaming media too, so I can play any video/music on my TV from any computer in the house.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I have a Sony DMP-DB85 and like it a lot. DVD loads are fast and the quality of the picture is excellent. No complaints at all. Inexpensive, too.

Users who are viewing this thread