What kind of exhaust do I have, and how can I make it quieter without losing performance (high flow cats?)

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
That’s definitely a Mac catback and is not being made anymore. Was once considered one of the best sounding catbacks on our cars.
I totally forgot about Mac. I even ran one on my 01 with a catted X pipe. I got a ton of compliments on it. It sounded really good on my buddies car with the O/R H.

PcChip

Established Member
Since you want to get rid of the exhaust smell and quiet down the exhaust, why not just throw the stock exhaust back in? You already have it so it's free.

well, I wouldn't want to have to haul the stock exhaust down to a shop and pay them to put on an exhaust that's going to cork it back up - I heard the stock system is very restrictive

I still haven't figured out what I should do yet, but hopefully if I go magnaflow and keep the catless H-pipe it will be quiet enough for me

PcChip

Established Member
That’s definitely a Mac catback and is not being made anymore. Was once considered one of the best sounding catbacks on our cars.
thanks for the info! This car is like a time capsule - 5550 miles on it!
still has the factory tires with plenty of tread!

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
thanks for the info! This car is like a time capsule - 5550 miles on it!
still has the factory tires with plenty of tread!
DOT considers tires dead around 7 years after the manufacture date. I would not run around the highway and such on those. Take em off and store em if you wanna keep em

PcChip

Established Member
DOT considers tires dead around 7 years after the manufacture date. I would not run around the highway and such on those. Take em off and store em if you wanna keep em
just puttering around town with them, trying to decide what wheel/tire combo to get, then I will store the factory wheels/tires

it's so hard to figure out what I want (by looking at pictures) vs what I can run without mods (spacers, rolling fenders, etc)

Ls1z28-00

Established Member
My 1st Cobra had a Mac catback with O/R X pipe and it had the best sound I've ever heard, at 2600+ rpm it had this demonic howl that was so crisp and clean! I'm sad to hear that catback is no longer sold, are their any alternatives that sound similar?

wckdvnm

Established Member
The quiet magnaflow system with a o/r H will be just as loud as stingers once broken in at WOT; part throttle the stingers were louder.
Also conversely switching from a o/r x to H made a massive difference in volume in my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
I have a MAC mid chambered pipe on my car with magnaflow exhaust. It sounds sick.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

bull_dog190

Established Member
OEM Catted H + Bassani 3" here
Its quiet until you smash it... but the tone is just wonderful.
Very deep and completely different than my previous o/r X setups.
No noticable drone at 70-75.

claybeatz

Established Member
What about getting one of those bottle resonators and welding it into the pipe somewhere. Should tame it down a bit but will still sound good and keep the power.

03terminatorcobra

Established Member
Id put the OEM midpipe w/ cats back in and run a bassani 2.5 or 3''.
Or keep the catback you have and swap the midpipe back in. That will solve your problem and wont cost you anything.

Users who are viewing this thread