What kind of hp/tq can I expect to get from ported heads.

1sic04cobra

Established Member
Well I've been thinking since I've been having a bit of trouble finding a tuner, I was thinking of pulling everything off again and adding cams and porting heads on top of my KB2.2 supercharger. What should I expect.

SlowSVT

Established Member
This is a rather open ended question with all the variables involved but with a 2.2 don't think you will be very happy after spending all that money. If your running big boost heads and cams start to come into play. NA engines will respond better because they are fighting to get every ounce of charge into the cylinders. Supercharged engines can pack more charge then the engine can handle.

Emwun Garand

Established Member
I agree about the blower. The 2.2 runs hot as **** already and is the least efficient of any blower out there besides the Eaton. I have Fox Lake Stage III ported heads and Bullet Racing custom cams but I went with the Lysholm 3.3L twin screw and massive headers when I did all of that. For the money, it's not worth it, you are better off with a bigger, more efficient supercharger.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
It's hard to get numbers because people always do more than just port the heads at the same time. So how much HP came from the ported heads and how much came from the other mods is guess work.

However I found a local KC guy here that got his heads ported. Says that's all he did, pull the heads, port them and put back. It was a twin screw car marking around 800 whp after the port. He claims the head port picked up 80 whp. Seemed like a lot to me but others seem to support those claims. I honestly have no idea how true or far off it is.

cj428mach

Established Member
It's hard to get numbers because people always do more than just port the heads at the same time. So how much HP came from the ported heads and how much came from the other mods is guess work.

However I found a local KC guy here that got his heads ported. Says that's all he did, pull the heads, port them and put back. It was a twin screw car marking around 800 whp after the port. He claims the head port picked up 80 whp. Seemed like a lot to me but others seem to support those claims. I honestly have no idea how true or far off it is.

Malcolm, do you know did the guy repulley to make the same boost? Some guys like to repulley to make the same boost after some mods which obviously isn't an apples to apples comparison at that point.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Malcolm, do you know did the guy repulley to make the same boost? Some guys like to repulley to make the same boost after some mods which obviously isn't an apples to apples comparison at that point.

He claims not. Says he pulled the heads and put them back with no other changes. He was in the 720 range and was at 800 after porting the heads. Don't know the guy so can't say much more than that. We used the same guy to port our heads. In fact I think I ran across the guy while searching for someone to port my heads and he was telling me his experience.

SlowSVT

Established Member

80 hp represents a 10% power increase just from ported heads that actually flow pretty good right out of the box! All the tuner had to do was bump the timing a little which would account for a good portion of that. Add hotter cams and I think that number may be more realistic.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Stock heads are easily good to at or slightly above 700rwhp. My heads only have bowl work done to them and thru and auto with a VMP TVS the car still makes close to 750hp.

I'd upgrade the blower and the I/C system and pick up your power that way.

GodStang

Established Member

What blower was he on? I gained a ton of hp just swapping from the 2.2L to the 2.8L.

XCSEDAN

Established Member
don't know about you guys, but down here we see about a 5-10% gain on our factory supercharged 5Ls from head porting, boss 5.4 motors were the same.
cheaper ways of making that difference unless you are going an all out build, then it has to be on the cards.

Quick Strike

Established Member
I have ported heads, cams, headers and a little over a point more compression. My tuner told me that my combination was worth about 100 hp over the stock block, cam and head combinations using the same blower, exhaust and fuel. Each part choice can add or subtract power depending on the specific combination. The trick is to combine parts that complement the entire package.

Users who are viewing this thread