What motivated you to get a 13/14?

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
I had both an '11 and '12 threw $10k at each one in addition to the car price just to be happy with 700+rwhp. The 13/14s were way outta reach at the time, probably priced where we see them today.

In order of precedence, these are the videos that I would get done watching and say, "Damn one day I gotta have one."

My color choices were Grabber Blue white stripes or Deep Impact Blue white stripes.
It wasn't until I saw Red Candy Metallic in person, that I realized, "this is the one" no doubt in my mind.

And the cherry on top is that I got the color of car in all 3 of the videos :)

But anyway, if you have never seen these videos, they are worth a watch; with a good sound system

Its worth noting, I was recently disappointed seeing in the 1st video that a SS only came onboard with like 616RWTQ?? I'm really not convinced that a SS is worth the ridiculous upcharge. Especially with companies like JDM (who I just recently reached out to), who can build the motor just as good, if not better, for a lot cheaper.

And, the Wilwood brakes are the compatible setup with my SS wheels

Last edited:

LS WUT

Established Member
I’d have to say what motivated me to get my 2013 Shelby was a mixture of things. The First time I saw it on the episode of “Top Gear” when he raced the train in that Deep Impact Blue with Black Racing stripes. I knew at that moment I’d have one someday. Fast forward about 7 years later. My father was diagnosed with stage 4 Lung Cancer. We had always talked about me buying one of those cars. I mentioned I wanted to find a Black coupe with Red Racing Stripes to match his motorcycle. Triumph Rocket III Roadster. I found the perfect match for sale, I was ready to go purchase the car, about 3 hours later I received a phone call that my father had been misdiagnosed and the cancer had spread to his brain. They gave him less than 2 weeks to live. I ended up staying with my father until he took his last breathe. Took me about 3 weeks for things to settle down, I was notified the car was sold to a dealer in North Carolina. I called them the same day, told them I was on my way from Sarasota florida to take her home. It was a bitter sweet moment for me to trade in my 2017 GT that I shared memories with my father in. However he told me to get this car, and I knew he would be proud of me for achieving my goal. It’s now parked next to his motorcycle, and they match perfectly. I’m awaiting my license plate to come in. It will say “FOR POPS”. Sorry for the long story. Hope everyone has a blessed day.

LS WUT

Established Member
4F7FD5DF-148D-476C-952B-5BDBD2BADA11.jpeg

Vinnie_B

"LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE"
Established Member
Premium Member
The iconic legend Carroll Shelby's last work of art and blessing of the 2013 Shelby GT500 was an inspiration. I just couldnt decide on a color package. No denying that a 2013 Super Snake widebody was always on my mind but no way could I or would I fork out 140-50K for one. Until......that one day when I was on RK Motors web site browsing thru the cars and bam........I was instantly in love. It was everything I wanted, 2013, Widebody,Color package, Priced just right (I stole it for 87K) low miles (3,500) and low csm #8. I was sold and it was a done deal and i couldnt be happier with my decision. I guess I got lucky but everything just fell right in place and felt like it was meant to be. I will never part with this special car.......never!

Last edited:

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
I've had a passion for cars for as long as I can remember. My first was a '69 Camaro that had been my grandfather's. Nothing special - just a stripped-down base model, with a lot of sentimental value.
Circa 1985.jpg

As a high school student in the 80s, I was smitten by Fox Body 5.0 Mustangs. Following college graduation and commissioning into the Air Force, I bought my first Mustang - an '89 LX 5.0 Hatchback. She was my unmodified daily driver for eight years, during which time we logged ~70K miles together.

Mustangs.jpg

The next chapter began in late-1996, when I upgraded to a '97 SVT Mustang Cobra. She was an unmodified garage queen for 15 years, during which time we logged ~60K miles together.

Throughout the whole time, I'd kept my Camaro, hoping to eventually restore her into a show (and occasional race) car. Unfortunately, she'd spent her life outside and not far from the Atlantic Ocean. The story there is obvious. When faced with buying/building a new car, one part at-a-time, I was forced to admit the end result would no longer be my grandfather's car. During the ensuing period of mourning, I was fortunate to channel surf across Velocity's 2012 mini-series King of the Road: Carroll Shelby, which featured a GT500 Super Snake. This was the beginning of my Shelby "story."

Selling the Camaro and Cobra made way for my '13 Shelby GT500 Coupe. "Ethical challenges" with the local Ford dealer forced me to cast a wider net for my car. Thankfully, I located one at a small (and ethical) dealer in Washington, so my son and I flew there to take delivery. Probably the only time in my life I got to, literally, drive my new car off the showroom floor.

IMG_0005.JPG

I've spent a lot of time and money making her mine, but I've enjoyed all of the almost 34K miles (and counting) we've logged together over the past decade.

I'm sorry for my even longer story, @LS WUT!

Blkblk13car

Established Member
I’d have to say what motivated me to get my 2013 Shelby was a mixture of things. The First time I saw it on the episode of “Top Gear” when he raced the train in that Deep Impact Blue with Black Racing stripes. I knew at that moment I’d have one someday. Fast forward about 7 years later. My father was diagnosed with stage 4 Lung Cancer. We had always talked about me buying one of those cars. I mentioned I wanted to find a Black coupe with Red Racing Stripes to match his motorcycle. Triumph Rocket III Roadster. I found the perfect match for sale, I was ready to go purchase the car, about 3 hours later I received a phone call that my father had been misdiagnosed and the cancer had spread to his brain. They gave him less than 2 weeks to live. I ended up staying with my father until he took his last breathe. Took me about 3 weeks for things to settle down, I was notified the car was sold to a dealer in North Carolina. I called them the same day, told them I was on my way from Sarasota florida to take her home. It was a bitter sweet moment for me to trade in my 2017 GT that I shared memories with my father in. However he told me to get this car, and I knew he would be proud of me for achieving my goal. It’s now parked next to his motorcycle, and they match perfectly. I’m awaiting my license plate to come in. It will say “FOR POPS”. Sorry for the long story. Hope everyone has a blessed day.
This is why I ended up getting one. Clarkson watching everyone freak out on the ferry over the shelby and the Shelby history lesson sold me. Got offered one few years ago for below $30k with I think around 35-40k miles from a family friend and never looked back. Daily driven ever since

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
...The First time I saw it on the episode of “Top Gear” when he raced the train in that Deep Impact Blue with Black Racing stripes.
This is why I ended up getting one. Clarkson watching everyone freak out on the ferry over the shelby and the Shelby history lesson sold me.
While those weren't factors in my purchase decision, I thoroughly enjoyed the videos, which affirmed my choice.

No denying that a 2013 Super Snake widebody was always on my mind but no way could I or would I fork out 140-50K for one. Until......that one day when I was on RK Motors web site browsing thru the cars and bam........I was instantly in love. It was everything I wanted, 2013, Widebody,Color package, Priced just right (I stole it for 87K) low miles (3,500) and low csm #8. I was sold and it was a done deal and i couldnt be happier with my decision. I guess I got lucky but everything just fell right in place and felt like it was meant to be. I will never part with this special car.......never!

You scored on that deal, @Vinnie_B! Nicely done!

Vinnie_B

"LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE"
Established Member
Premium Member
While those weren't factors in my purchase decision, I thoroughly enjoyed the videos, which affirmed my choice.

You scored on that deal, @Vinnie_B! Nicely done!
Most of the time, if it wasnt for bad luck I would'nt have no luck! But the way that it happened and came to be.......yes sir Mr. Norton..... that day I was one lucky SOB! The car was literally just posted for hours before I grabbed it. I put my deposit down within an hour and even after the fact, offers above asking were being made to coerce the dealer into selling but was too late legally......it was destiny as far as Im concerned or just maybe for one day I was one lucky SOB!

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
May 2013
I Never planned to get the 14, I owned an 11 with 756w @ the time.
Then I saw the near final pics of the 2015 MY, & the top hp offering was less than 600 ( crank ) hp,................& no glass roof.
I concluded that if I didn't order a 14, I would hate myself for the rest of my life.
The order went in on 17 May 2013,.............the rest is history..

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
This is why I ended up getting one. Clarkson watching everyone freak out on the ferry over the shelby and the Shelby history lesson sold me. Got offered one few years ago for below $30k with I think around 35-40k miles from a family friend and never looked back. Daily driven ever since

DD'ng one of these cars... winning!!!

ILW84U

Established Member
I had fried the second built motor (in the span of one summer) in my 05 Mustang GT and nobody could figure out what the cause was. I decided to put the car back to stock & sell it. The idea of having over 600 HP with warranty that I could drive anywhere I wanted is what motivated me to purchase my 13. I went to the local Ford dealer to inquire about getting one and put a deposit down even before the 13's order book had opened with the stipulation that the cost would be no more than MSRP. Best decision on a vehicle purchase. It was better than I had imagined. Puts a smile on my face every time I get behind the wheel.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
I had fried the second built motor (in the span of one summer) in my 05 Mustang GT and nobody could figure out what the cause was. I decided to put the car back to stock & sell it. The idea of having over 600 HP with warranty that I could drive anywhere I wanted is what motivated me to purchase my 13. I went to the local Ford dealer to inquire about getting one and put a deposit down even before the 13's order book had opened with the stipulation that the cost would be no more than MSRP. Best decision on a vehicle purchase. It was better than I had imagined. Puts a smile on my face every time I get behind the wheel.

That fried motor was 100% blessing in disguise.

I wanted one (had one of each) because it was the latest and greatest.

In 13, I was in Korea for 18 months. Out of touch with car stuff.
So, by todays standards, how hard was it to just "place an order" and be done with it from a dealerships perspective on a 13?
Was it just as difficult as in todays market; chip shortages and supply issues not withstanding?

And was there still a large mark up over sticker?

I've had a passion for cars for as long as I can remember. My first was a '69 Camaro that had been my grandfather's. Nothing special - just a stripped-down base model, with a lot of sentimental value.
View attachment 1747959

As a high school student in the 80s, I was smitten by Fox Body 5.0 Mustangs. Following college graduation and commissioning into the Air Force, I bought my first Mustang - an '89 LX 5.0 Hatchback. She was my unmodified daily driver for eight years, during which time we logged ~70K miles together.

View attachment 1747960

The next chapter began in late-1996, when I upgraded to a '97 SVT Mustang Cobra. She was an unmodified garage queen for 15 years, during which time we logged ~60K miles together.

Throughout the whole time, I'd kept my Camaro, hoping to eventually restore her into a show (and occasional race) car. Unfortunately, she'd spent her life outside and not far from the Atlantic Ocean. The story there is obvious. When faced with buying/building a new car, one part at-a-time, I was forced to admit the end result would no longer be my grandfather's car. During the ensuing period of mourning, I was fortunate to channel surf across Velocity's 2012 mini-series King of the Road: Carroll Shelby, which featured a GT500 Super Snake. This was the beginning of my Shelby "story."

Selling the Camaro and Cobra made way for my '13 Shelby GT500 Coupe. "Ethical challenges" with the local Ford dealer forced me to cast a wider net for my car. Thankfully, I located one at a small (and ethical) dealer in Washington, so my son and I flew there to take delivery. Probably the only time in my life I got to, literally, drive my new car off the showroom floor.

View attachment 1747961

I've spent a lot of time and money making her mine, but I've enjoyed all of the almost 34K miles (and counting) we've logged together over the past decade.

I'm sorry for my even longer story, @LS WUT!

That was a good read!

The iconic legend Carroll Shelby's last work of art and blessing of the 2013 Shelby GT500 was an inspiration. I just couldnt decide on a color package. No denying that a 2013 Super Snake widebody was always on my mind but no way could I or would I fork out 140-50K for one. Until......that one day when I was on RK Motors web site browsing thru the cars and bam........I was instantly in love. It was everything I wanted, 2013, Widebody,Color package, Priced just right (I stole it for 87K) low miles (3,500) and low csm #8. I was sold and it was a done deal and i couldnt be happier with my decision. I guess I got lucky but everything just fell right in place and felt like it was meant to be. I will never part with this special car.......never!

Damn, I've watched that For Sale video numerous times over the years.
No idea I would someday actually know the owner. Another reason the 13/14 is a great community; small production #s

^ that tugged at my heart strings.
I bought my '12 off SVTP. Located in Chicago. Flew there to pick it up and than drove to Green Bay to see my parents for a few days.

I was raised in Wisconsin on Fords by my dad and his large group of friends. All vintage era stuff; model A's, T's 68 fastback, the list goes on and on.
My dad never went out of his way to look at new generation type things. Anyway, the day he sat in the 2012 GT500 I just bought and digested all the nuisances, lights, motor etc....he was in awe. He's like "jesus, ya thats a nice hotrod"

My dad passed away at age 69 the following year of lymphoma, Vietnam connected. Not sure to this day if I made the right choice by selling that car.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
So, by todays standards, how hard was it to just "place an order" and be done with it from a dealerships perspective on a 13?
Was it just as difficult as in todays market; chip shortages and supply issues not withstanding?

Markups happened, but they were not as prevalent or large as they are now. There was a thread dedicated to Good, Bad, and Ugly Dealer experiences back in 2012. During my search, I was quoted ADMs between $0 and $20K, with the average falling just under $10K.

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life

The issue @ least for me in May 2013 was two fold:
1. Find a dealership with an allocation.
..............( last MY for the body style / 15 pics already out )
2. If they had an allocation, would they sell @ or below MSRP ?
Most dealerships in May 2013 had already used their 1 or 2 orders.
Dealers that had cars on the lot didn't meet my requirements for color & options.
A few I contacted had ADM.
In the end I just got lucky with an order @ MSRP..

fuelforfire87

Established Member
I personally wasn't really considering getting a GT500 until last year. prior to my GT500 purchase I had both a 2014 GT base auto car that I went full send on (built motor, trans, blower etc.) and a 2016 GT premium that I picked up in 2019 because I wanted to learn how to drive manual. After learning how to drive manual I kind of enjoyed driving the S550 more than the S197, even though it was significantly slower (just a NA bolt-on car vs a fully built supercharged car). I ended up selling the S550 last year due to financial reasons and because of the state of the used car market due to the pandemic.

After I sold the S550 I had planned on just riding out with my 2014 GT, but the lack of manual transmission made it not as fun to drive. Also I was looking on cars.com one day just out of curiosity to see what GT500s were going for. I found my current car at a local ford dealership at a relatively reasonable price compared to other GT500s for sale in my area. It was a fully loaded performance pack and track pack car minus Recaro seats and glass roof.

The reason why I was interested in the 13-14 MY was because I didn't want a downgrade in tech compared to my 14 GT (which had the premium gauge cluster swap) and I wanted a car with a PD blower as my GT was procharged. Also the GT500 comes with a proper manual trans vs the MT82 in the regular GTs. I was not that concerned as others on here about the 13-14 being the last GT500 with a manual and the last car that Carrol Shelby gave his blessing on but it was good icing on the cake, as well as knowing the Shelby would hold its value a lot better than a regular mustang.

So long story short I ended up trading in my 14 GT for the 14 GT500 I have now and do not regret my decision so far.

Cobra Therapy

Established Member
I have luved the 13-14 GT500 since they came out!!The looks of the front end,the rear lights and the 351 in it!!There hadnt been a 351 in a Mustang for a very long time,and it made HISTORY when it came out.And it was the last GT500 SHELBY had something to do with.Most people think the closest GT500 to the 67-68 GT500 is the 13-14 GT500!!All of us that have one are in an ELITE class!!

darksykal

Established Member
i'm probably an outlier tbh- i actually never really loved the look of the S197's
it was more of a slow burn for me-

i had an 03 sonic blue terminator making 500 wheel and she was great- but after selling it I really missed having a fast car.
i took another look at all muscle cars and couldn't stop looking at the 13/14 gt500's

finally bit the bullet and the rest is history

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
I had planned on getting a GT500 since they came out in 07. The time was never right and I kept putting it off till the next year. When Ford announced the 500 was ending I knew it was now or never. The fact it was 662 hp, factory warranty and all of the creature comforts was amazing. I knew I wanted GB, Performance Pack and Glass Roof plus the other extras. I contacted a local dealer that was a friend and had him order the car. He had already sold his allocations and I was able to reach out to some friends within Ford from the old SVT days. It took about 3 weeks and voila!, the order was approved and the car was built August 2013. The cool part is I have a number of emails from Ford where the car was approved and an allocation created and assigned to the dealer for the car to be built. The dealer was shocked when it was scheduled and ultimately built. I've owned it since day 1 and have no plans on selling. I walked past it today in the garage and was admiring it and thinking of how fortunate I am to own it.

Tom
photo8.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread