What phone should I get?

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
I was loyal to the apple iphone until last December when I bought my first non-ipnone smart phone. I made the switch over to the Galaxy S4. I loved it, at first. Then the whole "new and cool" kinda wore off and I started seeing all the small little glitches in the software and problems with it.

The battery life seemed as though it was getting worse and worse over the past 6 months, until finally, yesterday, it wouldn't charge at all! I hooked a charger up to it, one that I've been using since I basically bought the phone, and it said to use a Samsung charger and it wouldnt allow the phone to charge. I tried another one.. And the same thing! Now then phone wont even turn on.

So, this S4 is a ****ing pile of shit. My iphones used to be slow, but they were very durable and I never had any issues with them working. My iphone 5 had a inch of the screen in the top right corner missing exposing the inside of the phone and it still worked fine!

Any good recommendations? Other than piece of shit Samsung products?

Kiohtee

Established Member
iPhone. Lol

My first phone was an iPhone 3GS! Since then I've experimented with other phones, but I either find myself not using half of it's features that make it what it is or being too annoyed with it's constant glitches and slowness.

IMO the iPhones don't have a lot to offer feature-wise, but they're solid, consistent phones. I can't wait for the iPhone 6!

(I have a gold iPhone 5S now)

Sirraf

Established Member
I have had 3 different iPhones since 2008. After the 3Gs, iPhone went to shit. I am going to the Droid market after this. My friend got the new Galaxy S5 and that phone is friggen sweeeet. That or the Note 3 is what I will be getting. Samsung makes a good product, just sounds like bad luck.

Last edited:

luke1333

Banned
Established Member

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Different people will have different experiences on phones. My Galaxy S3 has been holding great since day 1. IDK why you got those non-charging glitches, I use different chargers on mine all the time.
HTC another great phone and very durable, their cameras are a hit and miss though.

Im going with either the Xperia Z2 or Galaxy S5 Prime for my next one. Loving the new water resistance feature, underwaterpics are the best with girls!
If you had good/better experiences with Apple, stick with them. No reason to fix what's not broken.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
I have had almost every android phone. I am currently stuck using a developer note 3. I cant get rid of it yet. currently I would wait until the LG G3. that will be my next phone. hoping for it to take over my note's rein in daily use.

here is a little on the g3. blows everything out of the water as far as specs go and looks

http://www.droid-life.com/2014/05/28/lg-g3-promo-video-hypes-laser-auto-focus-quad-hd-metallic-skin/
Every phone is sooooo damn close that specs don't matter like they once did. It has the same SoC as the Z2 and S5, so no, it doesnt "blow" them away. Only part I see it beating it is the screen resolution which more than 90% of people won't notice over a 1080P 5 inch screen. The "laser" camera has been said its on par with the competition except for having good low light pics. IMO at this point, its which poison you prefer.

luke1333

Banned
Established Member
Every phone is sooooo damn close that specs don't matter like they once did. It has the same SoC as the Z2 and S5, so no, it doesnt "blow" them away. Only part I see it beating it is the screen resolution which more than 90% of people won't notice over a 1080P 5 inch screen. The "laser" camera has been said its on par with the competition except for having good low light pics. IMO at this point, its which poison you prefer.

While it does have the same snapdragon 801 @ 2.5 ghz but the G3 does have 3 gb of ram where the s5 does not, also the camera has OIS which makes a huge difference. there has already been demo videos of it and it is quite amazing. and yes the screen is just insane and their will be a difference. I haven't owned a G2 or an LG phone snce my LG Env LOL so I cant wait for the G3!!! if I don't like it I can always sell and go back to rocking my note 3. here is specs comparsion between G3 and M8 and S5

http://www.droid-life.com/2014/05/27/lg-g3-vs-galaxy-s5-vs-htc-one-m8/

this is impressive stuff right here just watch and listen

http://youtu.be/BEgQ0v5DFk0?t=4m38s

Prototype007

Established Member
I've been a dedicated Apple fan, but if I was going to purchase another smart phone I'd try a Galaxy.

I'm being a rebel when my iPhone dies and going back to a cheap flip-phone. Miss having something that I don't have to charge for 3 days and no data plan needed!

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I have a Note 2 currently, and will definitely upgrade to the Note 3.

Once you have a big screen, you won't go back. Every time I pick up my dad's iPhone I feel like I'm playing with a child's toy.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
While it does have the same snapdragon 801 @ 2.5 ghz but the G3 does have 3 gb of ram where the s5 does not, also the camera has OIS which makes a huge difference. there has already been demo videos of it and it is quite amazing. and yes the screen is just insane and their will be a difference. I haven't owned a G2 or an LG phone snce my LG Env LOL so I cant wait for the G3!!! if I don't like it I can always sell and go back to rocking my note 3. here is specs comparsion between G3 and M8 and S5

http://www.droid-life.com/2014/05/27/lg-g3-vs-galaxy-s5-vs-htc-one-m8/

this is impressive stuff right here just watch and listen

http://youtu.be/BEgQ0v5DFk0?t=4m38s
The GS5 has a similar feature which lets you refocus after taking the pic. The whole ram thing is useless to most people as Android auto-closes apps it doesnt need. Check your phone ram usage and I can guarantee it probably still has about 40% free. We don't have app enourmous app's to needing a lot of memory. Hell you can run a PC with bigger/more apps on 2 measly GB's. Having 2gb's is fine enough, ram speed IMO should've been looked instead.
My point on screen, the avg person never noticed the difference between an S3 vs S4 just that it was .2 inches bigger and brighter.

Example, get a low res pic and a high res, minimize it and it will get to a point where you won't see the difference between one and another. It's pointless having such a high res screen on a small screen. My main grudge with the G3 is that its getting close to brick territory.

Its a great phone dont get me wrong but its not much about specs anymore, its about delivery and features.

Last edited:

scott_0

Established Member
the HTC M8 is a great device, one thing Apple has going with the iphone is supreme build quality, the M8 is on par if not better than Apple there, then you throw in the fact that their UI is simple like Apple and the Android OS is better, its a smart choice. Samsung is killing it with their marketing, people are leaving the iphone for the S5 everyday, my neice was a long time Apple sheep, she made the switch to an S5 few days ago, says she has no regrets what so ever. Ive had the Galaxy S2, S3, and S4 I refused to buy another Samsung device because they feel so cheap in everyday use, their UI is cartoonish and the latest S5 settings menu is very inefficient needing multiple steps to get where you want to go. That being said, you cant go wrong with any of the top Android devices (HTC M8, Samsung GS5, the coming LG G3)

luke1333

Banned
Established Member
The GS5 has a similar feature which lets you refocus after taking the pic. The whole ram thing is useless to most people as Android auto-closes apps it doesnt need. Check your phone ram usage and I can guarantee it probably still has about 40% free. We don't have app enourmous app's to needing a lot of memory. Hell you can run a PC with bigger/more apps on 2 measly GB's. Having 2gb's is fine enough, ram speed IMO should've been looked instead.
My point on screen, the avg person never noticed the difference between an S3 vs S4 just that it was .2 inches bigger and brighter.

Example, get a low res pic and a high res, minimize it and it will get to a point where you won't see the difference between one and another. It's pointless having such a high res screen on a small screen. There's already pic comparisons between them and its very close that you mostly can't tell between one and another.

Its a great phone dont get me wrong but its not much about specs anymore, its about delivery and features.

I disagree from using note with 3 gb of ram it runs so smooth. the m8 does run extremely smooth with 2 gb but you can never have enough ram. and a high res screen and low res screen on the same photo side by side the difference is noticeable. the m8 also had the refocus option and it was a joke to me. waste of precious storage by sense ui

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Ive had the Galaxy S2, S3, and S4 I refused to buy another Samsung device because they feel so cheap in everyday use, their UI is cartoonish and the latest S5 settings menu is very inefficient needing multiple steps to get where you want to go. That being said, you cant go wrong with any of the top Android devices (HTC M8, Samsung GS5, the coming LG G3)
The plastic feel is my only complaint but there's more positives than negatives. Get a different home App like Nova Launcher. You will never have to worry about a cheap slow UI. You can set options like double tapping the screen to go into Hotspot or sliding up to launch Google Now or whatever app/option you want. Little things like that make a big difference for daily usage.

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
Sounds like you got a bad S4. I would try another before swearing off the entire brand.

I've had an S2, two S3's, and now a Note 3. I'm hard on my phones and they see all conditions and have yet to have an issue. Can't speak much for factory rom as I have always rooted and rom'd them as soon as I buy them. I can't foresee anything better for me than my Note 3, well until the 4 comes out. I know you're a business owner as well and for my having the stylus and auto notepad when it's pulled has been a life saver when customers call me when I am busy. I can take notes while talking to them without dropping what I'm doing to find a pen and paper.

Now as far as bad experiences, HTC has been the leader for me. I had 3 Evo's, and each fell apart within months, well except the second one. Didn't even make it out of the store before it went to crap. My ex had a One X that had horrible battery life. It would go from 80% to 5% in a few minutes. Replaced it with a new one that would glitch out and completely freeze. Got her into an S4 and hasn't had an issue since.

I know a lot of people who are happy with their products but just hasn't been my experience.

Last edited:

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
I've had my S4 since january and haven't had any issues. The only thing I hate about it, and this isn't a hardware fault, is all the bloatware samsung puts on here. I've been having a little trouble rooting my phone otherwise I'd remove everything by now.

Users who are viewing this thread