What should I offer?

rexisme

Established Member
Alright, my d.d. recently took a shit on me. I am looking to replace it with a truck. A dealer close to me has a 2005 super crew xlt with every option you could put on one.5.4 triton,4x4, Leather, heated seats,heated mirrors, moonroof, tow pkg, just every single option. The thing that is holding me back is the fact it has 60k miles on it. Is that something to be concerned about? I have never bought a truck before, so I really dont have a clue about the 5.4 and f series trucks other than the fact a few people I know have over 200k on 97 and up f150's. Another thing is the price, they are asking $17,900... what should I offer them OTD for the truck? Oh and I might add that I am going hte used route because I dont want to shell out another $30+k for a truck, if I go used I will be able to keep my cobra as well.

yellowbra

Established Member
I'm with these guys. start off around 14k and expect to settle in the middle somewhere. So they are asked 17.9k and you offer 14k then meet in the middle so the truck could be yours for 15.5k.

Mark

Juruense

Banned
Nah start with the ridiculous lowball and eventually walk do not budge. They will call you back a few days later at which time you will reluctantly return with a much stronger negotiating position.

SVT_4_me

Established Member
with the auto market the way it is right now, you are in pretty good negotiating position already. i agree with the above... over $14k and see what they say.

NXSVTCOBRA

Trucks really aren't selling lately too tough, you could more than likely get it for whatever you want. If you can't I'm sure you can find the same very truck around on the net somewhere at a decent price.

svtsmo

^ FTW
Established Member
Nah start with the ridiculous lowball and eventually walk do not budge. They will call you back a few days later at which time you will reluctantly return with a much stronger negotiating position.

and they will more than likely laugh you all the way out the door. they will call back, and more than likely if they have a cheaper truck on the lot they will try to put you on that

CHINI

Do Work
Established Member
fyi you can get a ton of cars for 17,900! My buddy just bought a new e350 as a dd for 17000.

Thump_rrr

Established Member
The real question you should ask yourself is what am I willing to pay for it.
If I thought that the truck was worth the $17,900 then I would negotiate somewhat on the price and the balance for an extended warranty.
Keep in mind that when I'm talking warranty it's a Ford extended warranty and not some third party crap.
Making unreasonably low offers will only get you a firm NO without any chance at a counter offer IMHO.

svtsmo

^ FTW
Established Member
If I thought that the truck was worth the $17,900 then I would negotiate somewhat on the price and the balance for an extended warranty.
Keep in mind that when I'm talking warranty it's a Ford extended warranty and not some third party crap.
Making unreasonably low offers will only get you a firm NO without any chance at a counter offer IMHO.

exactly, making rediculously low offers will result in the dealership not taking you seriously, and as such the dealership will have the upper hand in negotiating.

i say offer between 16 and 16.5 and see where that takes you

remember, unless the car is a pos that has been sitting on the lot a long period of time, the dealership is NEVER going to take a loss on it. if they are taking losses, then sales managers and gsm would be out of their jobs

rexisme

Established Member
that is what kind of worries me about the truck. it meets the criteria to be certified however they didn't certify it. also trucks are selling fairly good around here for some reason right now. I have literally had 3 taken right from under me and have been told to walk on quite a few when what I considered a good offer was shot down. by good offer I mean, I offered what they were asking for the truck as the OTD price.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
Hold strong, dealers need money and to move inventory, don’t ever give them what they ask at the start, starting at 14k is not a low ball offer if the car is selling for 17k or so, its a first offer to start and is not insulting considering the market.

If your area is selling trucks well go to 90% of the other parts of the country, and get a good deal there because last I checked there was no one in any of the stealerships except sales people.

Juruense

Banned
exactly, making rediculously low offers will result in the dealership not taking you seriously, and as such the dealership will have the upper hand in negotiating.
No, as the buyer I always have the upper hand. And yes, they often do laugh. Then they beg when they call me to come back in.

siLversLeigh

Established Member
On a side note, make them change the plugs before you buy it. My work had an 05 and the plugs break into the head when changing; cost 3500 to fix at the dealer.

rexisme

Established Member
lowballing a dealer is always a must

Lol.... but how low is too low... I dont feel like I should steal the truck from them and a upper hand that they have is the fact they have had the truck for 3 days only.. Im going to check it out in a few hours to see what happens.

Users who are viewing this thread