What to do/see in Philadelphia?

Planter

Banned
Flying out to the city of brotherly love next month for a doctors appointment.

Leaving out on a Saturday morning and coming back to Denver on a Monday evening.

I have part of Saturday and all day Sunday to see the city. Monday morning is my dr appt.

Where in Philly should I stay? And tell me some things I should go see and do while there.

I am a BIG history buff. Civil War and especially the Revolutiobary War, so that kind of stuff fascinates me.

Also a big military guru. I love battleships and submarines and stuff so if theres anything like that closeby or within an hours drive let me know.

Any food recommendations would be welcome too.

thanks in advance. :beer:

Last edited:

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
Do I even want to ask the nature of the medical procedure?

The only three things I'd do in Philly would be the mint, Eastern State Pen. and see a concert at the Wells Fargo Center if a quality act was in town. Downtown has quite a few historic places like the bell, carpenters hall, etc.., If one can block out the liberal tards, it could be alright.

Planter

Banned
no you dont want to ask and no I am not going to say what its for.

we have a mint here in Denver that I have already been to. not much of a concert goer.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
Silence usually says more than words. Just sayin'.

Philly mint is where it is at. It is central to center city as is pretty much most of the Revolutionary War/ Independence sights. Leave the city and explore King of Prussia and Valley Forge.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
Get a cheesesteak at one of those famous places. Damn good stuff.

:lol:

If you honestly think those steak & cheese hoagies from the two "famous" places are damn good, I'd bet you'd lose it if you had one that was really good. I'm sure (as evident from your post) people love them but I've had so much better up here.

venom_inc

Killing time at work.
Established Member

If you honestly think those steak & cheese hoagies from the two "famous" places are damn good, I'd bet you'd lose it if you had one that was really good. I'm sure (as evident from your post) people love them but I've had so much better up here.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Pat's and Geno's steaks. I do prefer Jim's steaks better though.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
There is absolutely nothing wrong with Pat's and Geno's steaks. I do prefer Jim's steaks better though.

My honest opinion is that I've had the steak & cheese hoagie from Subway that was just as good.

Around here (and even in the Poconos) there are places that make a wicked sandwich. Nothing fancy but they cook it right and use the correct bread, meat and cheese.

jbs$

Established Member
Be careful of where you are, especially at night, this is not a safe place to walk around in.

verbal

Established Member
Stay in Center City and you can walk to almost everything. A lot of the historic stuff is all lumped together downtown around 6th and Market St (independence Hall, the Liberty Bell, Betsy Ross House, the Constitution Center, etc.) You could spend the whole day in this area visiting historic sites. Additional places are Reading Terminal Market, South Street, the Philadelphia Art Museum, and the Franklin Institute.

The water front is also close by and there are some old ships to see there. If you take the train over to Camden you can tour the USS New Jersey battleship which is pretty cool.

Valley Forge is nice but it is about 45 minutes outside of the city.

As mentioned, don't walk anywhere at night. Even the nicer areas of the city are pretty dangerous at night. During the day you are fine though.

VegasMichael

Established Member
I would say Art Museum--one of the best in the world. I used to live in Valley Forge/King of Prussia. Depending on traffic it could take a while to get there from downtown. Loads of good eateries in Philly. I'd check YELP for recommendations for food choices. I don't consider cheesesteaks palatable but to each his own.

Felix C

Established Member
Olympia Spanish American war cruisr is also there. http://www.phillyseaport.org/then-and-now

Honestly, It is worth the drive to Gettysburg to see the battlefield which is the best preserved of any Civil War one. It is 2hrs one way. So it is an all day event. 2 hrs out 2-4 hours battlefield, 2 hrs back.
I mean if Civil War rules out over Revolutionary War in your historical preference.

Dr's appt.? Best wishes with that.

Last edited:

venom_inc

Killing time at work.
Established Member
My honest opinion is that I've had the steak & cheese hoagie from Subway that was just as good.

Around here (and even in the Poconos) there are places that make a wicked sandwich. Nothing fancy but they cook it right and use the correct bread, meat and cheese.

That can be said for any famous food though. The best pizza that I've ever had is a small place a few towns away from me. I'd still tell people to try the famous places out just for the experience.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
That can be said for any famous food though. The best pizza that I've ever had is a small place a few towns away from me. I'd still tell people to try the famous places out just for the experience.

Ask yourself why it is famous. Is it for the food or the way in which you order and perhaps the "ambiance" surrounding both food establishments?

cbj5259

Established Member
Steve's Prince of Steaks....best in town. Geno's is decent as well as Tony Lukes too. Pats is crap.

Since you probably like cars (since this is a car forum) check out the Simeone Auto Museum. Some great historical race cars there. One of the 6 remaining 1964 Shelby Daytona coupes in the collection as well. South street is also pretty interesting to visit as well. There are a ton of great niche places to eat in Center City (some are very pricey so be forewarned). As was mentioned, if you are history buff there is plenty to see in center city (Independence mall, etc). If you get a chance to get out to the suburbs, Washingtons Crossing is only about 30 mins or so outside the city in Bucks County. Pretty much the entire area is chock full of significant historical places. As far as the city itself goes. Center City is very nice and safe. Don't venture into north or west philly though. They are the problem areas.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member

This further cements my theory that in PA there is literally no one within a 50 mile radius of the city that knows what a cheesesteak is supposed to be. Same goes for Pizza. Steak & Cheese hoagie? LOL. Surprised you don't want pizza sauce on it instead. OP wants to eat Philly food, not some Scanton or coal region favorite. I bet you love banana peppers.

OP,

If you want to eat actual Philly food and not drive hours to some depressed town in PA; get pizza at Lorenzo's on South Street, a cheesesteak at Philips on W. Passyunk Ave, and either a roast beef or Italian pork sandwich at DiNick's in the Reading Terminal Market. Jim Steaks on South street is probably more tolerable for a non native, might want to try too. Don't get pizza sauce or lettuce tomato ect on it. People there do not eat it that way.

Last edited:

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
This further cements my theory that in PA there is literally no one within a 50 mile radius of the city that knows what a cheesesteak is supposed to be. Same goes for Pizza. Steak & Cheese hoagie? LOL. Surprised you don't want pizza sauce on it instead. OP wants to eat Philly food, not some Scanton or coal region favorite. I bet you love banana peppers.

Steak and cheese hoagies are supposed to taste like shit? Over-priced shit at that.

Users who are viewing this thread