what to do?

whitetrash1

Established Member
my car just rolled over 100k and im torn on what i should do. ild like to go twin screw but with my cars milage im thinking i would be better off to do build a new short block and go to stronger internals before i up the power?

opinions please?

RAPTOR5V

Firing on all 8
Established Member
might want to do a leak down test. but if she's still running strong then just slap that blower on these cars were made for it

VictorySong

Established Member
my car just rolled over 100k and im torn on what i should do. ild like to go twin screw but with my cars milage im thinking i would be better off to do build a new short block and go to stronger internals before i up the power?

opinions please?

I'm paranoid like that to , it took me awhile to decide to pulley my car and it only has 70k on it.:lol1: (I can't afford a replacement) Why go through the trouble of switching to a built short block before your old one goes out? Unless you want to have a numbers matching car 40 years from now I'd just get the current motor checked out and if it has a good bill of health slap on a TS.:beer:

x NOODLES x

Big Hitter da LLama!
Established Member
These motors loosen up with age like an ol' lady!! :rockon:

Throw a TS on that thing and dont look back!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I was thinking they age more like fine wine...

I like that analogy. Like fine wine. So true! One of the best engines Ford ever designed. :rockon:

But seriously, get a leak down test done, and if it's running fine as mentioned above, go for it. I'm sure it's been done before. Best of luck!

whitetrash1

Established Member
I like that analogy. Like fine wine. So true! One of the best engines Ford ever designed. :rockon:

But seriously, get a leak down test done, and if it's running fine as mentioned above, go for it. I'm sure it's been done before. Best of luck!

see i was hoping a higher milage TS owner might pop in here to give some insight.

VictorySong

Established Member
see i was hoping a higher milage TS owner might pop in here to give some insight.

There was a guy on MF with a KB @ 90k miles but I can't find the thread anymore. Mileage is just a number if the engine is checked and it's fine then it is no different then one in good order with 5k on the clock. Every v8 car I have owned has gone well beyond 100k with most of them starting to have very minor issues @175k, usually it's the transmission that goes first.

What I don't understand is, if you have the money to build a motor and TS it why are you worried about messing up your old one? If you have the money and want peace of mind by all means install a new shortblock.

whitetrash1

Established Member
There was a guy on MF with a KB @ 90k miles but I can't find the thread anymore. Mileage is just a number if the engine is checked and it's fine then it is no different then one in good order with 5k on the clock. Every v8 car I have owned has gone well beyond 100k with most of them starting to have very minor issues @175k, usually it's the transmission that goes first.

What I don't understand is, if you have the money to build a motor and TS it why are you worried about messing up your old one? If you have the money and want peace of mind by all means install a new shortblock.

i dont have the money for both. if i build a new shortblock the TS will wait till next year.

sc98cbra

Established Member
That is dumb to waste money on a new shortblock when you have one that is in good running order. Its all in the tune, make sure your fuel is adequate enough. You can blow up a 4k mile engine just as easy as you can blow up a 100k mile engine... its all in the tune

whitetrash1

Established Member
That is dumb to waste money on a new shortblock when you have one that is in good running order. Its all in the tune, make sure your fuel is adequate enough. You can blow up a 4k mile engine just as easy as you can blow up a 100k mile engine... its all in the tune

how is it dumb if i upgrade? i would be building it to handle more power. and i could always sell the old one to help offset the cost.

i agree the tune is what keeps the motor from blowing up.

mack83

Established Member
There was a thread on here a week or two ago with high milage cobras and one guy had a link to MF with a dude that had 120,000 miles on his and hit it with a twin screw and nitrous for over 800 rwhp and 825 rwtq. It had something like 170,000 miles around this time I think? Do what the other guys suggested and if all is good, slap a twin screw on 'er

whitetrash1

Established Member
There was a thread on here a week or two ago with high milage cobras and one guy had a link to MF with a dude that had 120,000 miles on his and hit it with a twin screw and nitrous for over 800 rwhp and 825 rwtq. It had something like 170,000 miles around this time I think? Do what the other guys suggested and if all is good, slap a twin screw on 'er

thanks for the info

Users who are viewing this thread