What to look for in turbo cobra?

BlownStangGT

Established Member
There is a chance I may be going to look at a single turbo cobra. Seems some people shy away from the turbo cars compared to something with a Whipple or kb on it. Anything I should really look for or watch out for as far as the motor goes? Stock long block in the car

fangs99

Established Member
Check the oil feed and return lines for leaks... Especially where the feed line meets the turbo, and where the return goes back into the pan. Check all the vacuum lines and T fitting for the Waist gate and BOV. Also check for exhaust leaks...

BlownStangGT

Established Member
Alright thanks all! Is there "normal" issues with turbo cars? I usually see more blower termi's then turbo, guessing cause the price to upgrade? Just wondering if you were to DD the car on nice days if there would be sig. issues to worry about over time with a turbo compared to a pos. dis. blower

ruthless

Turbo Terminator and TVS Terminator Vert
Established Member
I would disconnect the charge pipe going to the TB and make sure there is ZERO oil in there. Then I would check for shaft play in the turbo, also look for anything that indicates that something may have contacted the turbine wheel at any point. Start it up cold and check the exhaust for smoke and the engine for any odd noises. Unlike the twin screw cars, turbos are silent at idle and will not cover up any noises from the engine.

After that take it for a drive but make sure it warms up a bit before getting on it.

Users who are viewing this thread