What Would You Do? Fox Body

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
Thanks for all the reply’s fellas. It’s funny that the results were about what my buddy and I were going back and forth with. So many options, so many what if’s, and frankly all of them would be cool.

It won’t be a dedicated track car by any means, but will surely see some strip time.

Personally I am leaning towards the 351/408 route at the moment. They seem to make good steam n/a and utilize the nitrous kit/ignition box that’s on the car for strip duty it, while still retaining the factory accessories.

Will be an adventure. But I’ll be sure to keep y’all updated even though this won’t be an over night project.

MG0h3

Established Member
No, that's the late 90's "meme" if you will. I put down 517rwhp on my setup. You can tune safely into the 500's if you have the fuel. Then comes other problems like the trans, axles, suspension, etc. If all those are top notch parts, and you're building a track car, when you will blow the stock shortblock is high RPMs. Keep it under 6K and you'll be fine unless unlucky. OP makes no real claim that the owner is going to be building a track car and attempting to get every tenth out of it.

There was a guy on turbo mustangs making 600wheel on a stock short block back in the day.

As mentioned, rpm tends to be the killer.

My turbo Fox at 459/503 was a riot on 275s. Been seeing a few foxes around here and I’m kinda getting the itch again!

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Kevins89notch

Established Member
There was a guy on turbo mustangs making 600wheel on a stock short block back in the day.

As mentioned, rpm tends to be the killer.

I think folks have pushed numbers even higher in recent days, thanks for more fuel and better tuning.... but yeah, RPMs.

Just like the whole "the t5 won't last" comments everyone throws out. While true, it's also RPM related. I picked up a free t5z with a blown 2nd. It was a 500rwhp street car and at the top of 2nd, all the gears just said bye bye.

MG0h3

Established Member
I think folks have pushed numbers even higher in recent days, thanks for more fuel and better tuning.... but yeah, RPMs.

Just like the whole "the t5 won't last" comments everyone throws out. While true, it's also RPM related. I picked up a free t5z with a blown 2nd. It was a 500rwhp street car and at the top of 2nd, all the gears just said bye bye.

I don’t know what you can do to a T5 to save it.

One month behind my turbo car and it was howling and definitely loose.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

nxhappy

Established Member
Only concern is the 5.0 block being the weak point at 500hp. Susceptible to cracking.

Yup, the t5 definitely isn’t going to last. Looking to stay stick, seems t56 is about the only option that would live for the price.

I threw that out there because I sold a complete terminator engine/harness/ecu/t56 about 5 years ago for $6800. But haven’t seen anything for that price lately. Timing just didn’t work.
my bad, forgot about that block.
what about selling the car for a somewhat cheap coyote ?
maybe a higher mileage terminator /gt500 ?
possibly sell the fox for 6k, plus 6k saved, thats 12k down, and 3k in mods.
GT500 and trinity swap would be titties
or Terminator with a whipple

HEMI LOL

Twin Screwed
Established Member
did most of you miss the 6-9K part? coyote swap is 10k easily. not much cheaper for a DOHC 4.6.

I recently snagged a fox after my benz was killed by a moron. Ive got 6k cash and find myself in this spot. Car came with GT40 heads(not installed) and has GT40 upper and lower and other basic mods on it already.

im hoping 6k gets my heads on/pistons rods/cam and an on3. but I don think the money will stretch that far.

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
With your budget, I would focus on building a nice NA 302. If done correctly, it can make over 300rwhp and 320 rwtq.

While that doesn't sound like a lot, it will have a broad torque curve and is capable of low 12's on street tires.

Can you do any of the labor yourself? How many miles are on the engine?

If needed, you can freshen the shortblock, but I wouldn't waste any money on rods/pistons.

Users who are viewing this thread