• Tell your 1stSgt

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Just let him be, he's drunk

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I'll just start off by saying I'm a Security Force Marine from the RTT platoon and I've been in the fleet for 7 months now as a sqd leader and have been a Cpl for over a year and a half now. Now here's the issue and I want to know what you seasoned guys would do.

So since I've been here at my unit I've come across the three typical groups of Marines: The combat vets who don't have preconceived notions about anyone and are usually chill, the Lcpls who went on a MEU or vacation and think they're salty as shit, and then the Security Force Marines who tend to pick up the leadership positions over all those salty Lances. Since being here I've only had issues with these Lances and I'm getting close to jacking the next one in the throat!

So yesterday, one of my junior Lances comes up to my room and tells me one of these more senior MG Lances is threatening him and giving him shit. He wanted to tell me before he did anything because he was about to **** this dude up himself. So I go down there to see what's up and I see this MG'r whom I know standing by my guy's room and there's a girl around him. I can tell he's drunk and this is how the conversation goes:

Me: Hey *name withheld*, come here. What did you say to *name withheld*?

Him: I asked him why he thought he owned the place, and when he said he didn't, I told him to get the **** out of my face. He asked me what he did wrong and I said again, get the **** out of my face.

Me: So you instigated the whole thing because he told me he was on the phone and you called him over.

Him: No. He walks around like he owns the place so I called him out. Tell him to get out of here, I don't want him to hear this.

Me: No, he stays right here. You are in the wrong so walk away and don't talk to him anymore, that's the end of it.

Him: No, I want to talk to you with him not here.

Me: Ok then, come here.

Summary: We walk a few feet over and he continues to tell the story again but changes it from the story he originally said which matched what my guy originally said. I stop him and tell him to go away and that I better not hear of this anymore. He starts again with this:

Him: Oh, you won't see it, but you'll hear about it later!

Me: Oh really? How is that?

Him: You see, you came from Security Forces. You guys don't know what the infantry life is like.

Me: That's funny, cause I've been here 7mo, I think I've got a pretty good idea of what you guys are about.

Him: **** you!!! You don't know ****ing shit! See, in MG's we **** with whoever we want but nobody ****s with us!

Me: That's why I'm down here right now telling you that if you mess with my guy one more time I'm going to **** you up personally?

His hand is in his pocket and it's shaking along with his leg. I'm anticipating him throwing so my hands are folded together up by my chest. But Continuing...

Him: What the **** is your billet anyways? (he thinks I'm a TL)

Me: I'm a SL

Him: *pauses for a few seconds causes he wasn't expecting me to be a SL* Well you think I give a **** what you are? MG's stick together and if you **** with me you **** with all of us!

Note: I'm friends with all the MGs as well.

Me: So be it. I'm good friends with your SL and I'm sure he'll be interested to hear about this conversation.

Him: Tell him, I don't care. You think he's going to give a shit what you say over me?

Me: Regardless, he's going to find out and if he wants to handle it he can, but if not and you continue this up I'm giving all of my sqd permission to **** you up if you harass them any more.

Him: You grew up on the wrong side of the Marine Corps man!

Me: What? The Security Force side?

Him: Why are you bringing up Security Forces again?

Me: You eluded to it dumbass.

Him: You're such a ****ing idiot! You can't even use proper English! "eluded" is like an "allusion".... *fades off as I start laughing at him and he starts to get pissed*

Me: You're a ****ing idiot. Go away and I better not hear about you again tonight.

He walks away.

So fellas, would you have laid him out at "**** you" or would you have done what I did which was talk to his SL and then give my guys permission to whoop his ass if he does it again? Or would you put him up for NJP which my 1stSgt said is the definite answer if any of these incidents reach him because it's becoming common. Afterwards, my guys did tell me that he just stood outside and talked shit about me which I could care less. What I care about is the blatant disrespect going around from these "salty lances" to NCOs. This is the second time a Lance has thrown the F-bomb at me in a negative connotation and my patience is simply running out.

It's a long read but infuriating as I'm sure most of you have encountered this type of scenario so lets here the stories or input!

Last edited:

clbailey

Established Member
Funny marines think laying someone like that out solves anything. NJP is the way to go, were this in the AF he would probably be on his way out.

Start the paper trail and let it work itself out. Don't screw yourself over a drunk incident.

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
Funny marines think laying someone like that out solves anything. NJP is the way to go, were this in the AF he would probably be on his way out.

Start the paper trail and let it work itself out. Don't screw yourself over a drunk incident.

Here's the difference: For one, he's not in my platoon. If he was, it would certainly be the paper trail route. And second, if you put a guy up for NJP and he's not in your platoon then you're going to look like a huge douche and nobody is going to cooperate with you, and you'll most likely get jumped too. That is the difference between the Air Force and the Marines.

clbailey

Established Member
Like you said, this isn't the first time, so I'm sure others know. Let his SL know the incident and push the issue if the guy keeps being a douche.

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
SL knows and says he's going to handle it, but he just picked up Cpl so I don't expect much. The next time is going to be a beat down and most likely from my guys, not me. If someone is drunk and out of line then you're basically good to go. I'll back my guys 100% if they do.

Dragu1a

Established Member
you did the right thing. as an 0311 that also came from a SF company, i know exactly the type of "salt dog" lance coolies you're talking about.

he got his warning. you told his squad leader, he knows his guy got his warning. next time, let him get his ass beat.

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
I'd send it up the chain.
The guy might deserve to get some hands on attention but I imagine you like your career more than you hate him.

charba951

BOOSTTD
Established Member
Not really seasoned, but oranges don't leave bruises :shrug:

You did the right thing bringing it up with the guy's SL

SWThomas

El Cazador
Established Member
You'll learn sooner or later. There's no sense in arguing with a drunk Marine. Wait until they're sober and then address the issue.

Masheen365

Established Member
I know the services are vastly different but as an AF SSgt dealing with an off duty situation like that I would notify his supervisor just to give him a heads up his guy is close to an alcohol related incident. I personally wouldn't have initiated anything physical. The AF way is to move it up the chain and bury it in paper. lol

Talking to the SL was the way to go.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
You'll learn sooner or later. There's no sense in arguing with a drunk Marine. Wait until they're sober and then address the issue.

Exactly..... If he continues to act like a retard in off duty hours, that's what the DNCO is for, if that doesn't work get the OOD. They will log it into the logbook and viola, there is your paper trail- and its coming from a greater position of authority, not just the word of another troop. (no offense) When the SgtMaj or XO reads the logbook (if they are worth a shit) they will address it from the top down, which means it's now in the hands of the BC, Company Commander, 1stSgt etc., not his plt sgt or squadleader. No salty Lance is going to survive that if he keeps his bullshit up. At the very least he's looking at a consult with the SACO for an alcohol related incident (which is required by MCO- it's not even an option not to do it)... So now you've established a pattern. All he needs are 1-2 more **** ups and he's looking at level 3 treatment and an Adsep- problem solved, turd flushed:rockon:

Last edited:

Katy TX5.0

Established Member
Exactly..... If he continues to act like a retard in off duty hours, that's what the DNCO is for, if that doesn't work get the OOD. They will log it into the logbook and viola, there is your paper trail- and its coming from a greater position of authority, not just the word of another troop. (no offense) When the SgtMaj or XO reads the logbook (if they are worth a shit) they will address it from the top down, which means it's now in the hands of the BC, Company Commander, 1stSgt etc., not his plt sgt or squadleader. No salty Lance is going to survive that if he keeps his bullshit up. At the very least he's looking at a consult with the SACO for an alcohol related incident (which is required by MCO- it's not even an option not to do it)... So now you've established a pattern. All he needs are 1-2 more **** ups and he's looking at level 3 treatment and an Adsep- problem solved, turd flushed:rockon:

This.

If you get in a fight (even if it's self defense) chances are you're going for a ride also when the MP's show up. Just take yourself out of the equation. Is this guy a combat vet? I'd require him to get treatment. Lastly I wouldn't NJP him unless it's a recurring incident, but he'd be non-rec'd for sure. Not sure you could do that to someone not under your control though. I might've had a relaxed attitude towards certain things but I never tolerated someone acting like a fool.

It's not that hard to sit in your barracks and get smashed without causing trouble. We used to all the time and never had the DNCO bother us. It was marathon PS3 contests, movies, bbq'ing, and at the end of the night we just crawled back to our rooms and crashed. There was the occasional taser challenge but nothing disruptive.

On a lighter note, I get irritated with poor grammar all the time. It's "alluded to" and "couldn't care less". If you could care less that means you still care.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread