what year s of f-250 are most reliable?

mineralgrey01gt

loud-n-slow
Established Member
I wouldn't do a 5.4 3v IMO. Now maybe mine was down on power but it felt like it was struggling just pushing the truck down the road. It was reliable though, I loved the truck and it never left me stranded

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
If you're talking JUST the facts of reliablity, and arent particular to a certain year or specifically a super-duty, then an OBS 302/351/460 with C6 is pretty damn hard to beat. 265k on my '92 when the odo died and we thrashed it ALOT after that.

That being said, I love my 08 F250. But I would not recommend a diesel for occasional "truck stuff", such a waste of time and money. I'm with Sid on getting a clean 3v V10.

Last edited:

MissionMan

u mad
Established Member
thanks for the help guys. appreciate it. ill keep looking and checking back in to this thread

Almighty-One

^_^
Established Member
My moms old Excursion had the V10 and we never had a single issue. We sold it around 130,000 and the only thing we did was change tires once and regular oil changes

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I'm leaning heavily towards the v10. What should I be looking for year wise? Are there better transmissions some years? The manual bulletproof? I guess I need to hit up a good super duty forum

2008+ gets you a far more liveable truck. 2005+ gets you the 3V. All the 3V trucks will have have the 5R110 for the auto, which is a great tranny. The manual is an excellent tranny as well.

3v starts at 2005?

Correct.

Everything I'm finding has a 5.4 and I'm just not sure I want a 5.4 .

After dealing with 3Vs with cam phasers recently I know I wouldn't spend my money on one. That includes the 5.4. The V10 does not have phasers.

what about 02-03 7.3 diesels? im finding them under $15k with 150-200k miles on them

The 7.3 is a great engine, but the truck it's found in is somewhat rudimentary by modern standards and the 4R100 tranny leaves a bit to be desired. Also, good luck finding a 7.3 truck that isn't hammered shit for $10k.

EVL VNM

Established Member
7.3 is a very reliable engine. Yes the comforts are not as nice as the newer trucks, but it is a workhorse. I wouldn't mess with any other ford diesel unless the 6.7 which is out of the budget. I found my 2002 cc swb for less than $15k with only 200k miles on it. It is sitting at 250k miles now with multiple 2k mile round trips with no issues. Only thing is, is the CPS sensor is iffy. If you get the right one (Cant remember which one of the top of my head) it is fine, but always keep a spare just in case, only a ten minute fix. I average 15/16mpg city and 18/20 highway. Wish it had the newer tranny, but still a damn good truck, of and no emission crap.

turboeverything

Established Member
what about 02-03 7.3 diesels? im finding them under $15k with 150-200k miles on them

02 and 03 are stand alone years for 7.3 diesels. Harnesses and processors are that year only.. Also they have weaker rods in them..
I have a 2000 7.3 with 368k on it with normal upkeep. Engine has never been out..

The 6.4 is a good engine also with proper steps taken.
Full egr delete.
dpf delete
Eco tune with proper deletes trucks run very well..
And If your going to run tons of boost the turbo center sections will need balanced.
On 6.4 trucks watch out for radiator tank leaks.. Is very common and spendy to fix..

As for the 6.0 I would not waste my time talking about it

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
this seems like a great deal to me (03 V10 manual trans 4x4 83k miles for $10l), only concern is tailgate/bed gaps look odd. clean autocheck though.

not a 3v either obviously...

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detai...sf1Dir=ASC&prMx=15000&aff=national&listType=1

Since that truck is an 03 it should have the updated heads (more spark plug threads). The bed has had some heavy use, but that wouldn't necessarily scare me away. You can buy anew-used bed and tailgate, especially in white, for cheap. If that truck is close to you I'd definitely check it out.

MissionMan

u mad
Established Member
okay, throwing a wrench into things.

thoughts on 2011+ 6.2L f250's ? looking in the $30k range

again, I really have no interest in diesel at this point for my needs.

YJSONLY

Established Member
okay, throwing a wrench into things.

thoughts on 2011+ 6.2L f250's ? looking in the $30k range

again, I really have no interest in diesel at this point for my needs.

Only thing I hear that is rough and that's the mpg. 13ish unhooked 8-9 with a load. This is coming from my uncle who has one. 4x4 and ext or crew I can't recall.

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
Only thing I hear that is rough and that's the mpg. 13ish unhooked 8-9 with a load. This is coming from my uncle who has one. 4x4 and ext or crew I can't recall.

Same mpg as a stock 6.4 diesel.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread