Whats A SHO worth?

Monster Taurus

32V DOHC....hell yeah
It's SHO TIME

Bought my 98 SHO with 48,000 miles in march of 2004. Since then I put 30,000 miles on and babied her all the way. The paint is flawless as well with the interior. I got it from a dealer for $10,500 with a 36 thousand mile warranty. Some people think the price is too high, but you got to drive to car to see what its really worth. I can honestly say its Fords best kept secret. It sounds like a NASCAR when you take the flexpipe out and run open exhaust. Sounds better then half the camaros and mustangs you'll find on the street. I have upgraded the brakes with EBC rotors and pads all around. And had the cams welded. I just bought a Garrett turbo a few days ago, and I'm looking foreward to having some fun with that when it's on the SHO. My goal is to smoke Evo's and WRX's along with Camaro SS's. It may take some time, But it will be the ultimate sleeper. And with how high this motor rev's to...a turbo would make this thing a screamer :mj: ! For exterior mods, I plan on getting black powdercoated rims used for NASCAR and also getting a set of Goodyear Eagle 1 NASCAR yellow letter tires. It'll look badass. Like a real NASCAR :rockon: . Seriously though, The Taurus SHO is an amazing car :thumbsup: . I dont ever plan on selling mine.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
Monster Taurus said:
Bought my 98 SHO with 48,000 miles in march of 2004. Since then I put 30,000 miles on and babied her all the way. The paint is flawless as well with the interior. I got it from a dealer for $10,500 with a 36 thousand mile warranty. Some people think the price is too high, but you got to drive to car to see what its really worth. I can honestly say its Fords best kept secret. It sounds like a NASCAR when you take the flexpipe out and run open exhaust. Sounds better then half the camaros and mustangs you'll find on the street. I have upgraded the brakes with EBC rotors and pads all around. And had the cams welded. I just bought a Garrett turbo a few days ago, and I'm looking foreward to having some fun with that when it's on the SHO. My goal is to smoke Evo's and WRX's along with Camaro SS's. It may take some time, But it will be the ultimate sleeper. And with how high this motor rev's to...a turbo would make this thing a screamer :mj: ! For exterior mods, I plan on getting black powdercoated rims used for NASCAR and also getting a set of Goodyear Eagle 1 NASCAR yellow letter tires. It'll look badass. Like a real NASCAR :rockon: . Seriously though, The Taurus SHO is an amazing car :thumbsup: . I dont ever plan on selling mine.

woah.

I used to think mine was great, until I bought a cobra.

Please Please Please get your Cam's welded.

And not to burst your bubble, but the EVO's and WRX's are ALOT faster, and there are only 3 supercharger kits out in the country, only one of which has been running successfully.

good luck to you and your SHO.

Monster Taurus

32V DOHC....hell yeah
You pondering what I'm pondering?

WRX, EVO and The SS are quick, but not unbeatable. I know there a only a few people in the country with a supercharged Gen 3 SHO. But to my knowledge, no one has showed up with a turbo yet. I already DID have my cams welded. I'm all set to go. Don't get me wrong, I wish I had a Cobra. Thats going to be my next car. But people expect Mustangs to be fast. No on expects a Taurus to sound like a racecar, and beat camaros and imports. Thats what makes it better than the Cobra when it comes to a race. Because I'll embarass whoever I race with a black, 4 door, family sedan lol

I've already beaten a WRX with my car. Now the STI model will beat me though and so will an EVO. Those are 300 HP cars, mines 240. I can easily squeeze some power outta my car with a turbo to beat 300HP imports. Thats my goal, and it's very possible. I love Cobras, SHO's, and SVT's. As for camaros??? WAY to common and they dont look nearly as good as a Cobra. PLUS, I LOVE 32V DOHC! :burnout: lol

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
Easy there killa.

The SHO came stock with 235 horsepower. Thats FLYWHEEL horsepower. Which computes to about 190 wheelhorsepower. The other thing you have against you is that it is front wheel drive. Yes on a highway its got DECENT (at best) power. But Wont run faster than a 15.0 quarter mile stock. WRX high 13, even low 13, z28 camaro, low 14. So beating them is not very easy. Remember, its still a Taurus with only 3.4 liters, weighs 3600lbs and is front wheel drive.

Goodluck building a Turbo on that car, you will be the 1st person to do that. Prepare to spend about 4000 on a tranny to handle it, 4000 for the motor to handle it. 2000 for a turbo and another 2000 for piping/intercooler/BOV, and another 1000 in tuning and fuel management. So $13k for a car that is worth about $6k. I would keep that as my daily driver the way it is. Not trying to discourage, but its reality. My $30000 (not including purchase price) 1992 399whp Supercharged SHO sold for $7k. And no one will pay over $10k for a supercharged SHO. There is just no market.

Check out www.shoforum.com, post to them what you just posted here.

SHO91MTX

Who puts N2O on a 4 door?
Established Member
Chris, Gen III's are very fast on the highway. I have seen my buddy's 99 take a WRX on the highway, and IIRC Kirk took Fred on the highway in a Stormtrooper vs Jezzie run. From a standstill, ain't no way.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
Good luck to you. Having spent $23k on a car thats worth $6k sucks. Trust me I did it.

ectuomnie

Automotive engineering has always been a hobby of mine, Madison Gibson is my brother and Carroll Shelby is a childhood friend.

I have had the privilege of riding and owning some of the finest and most luxurist cars ever built.

I own a Quad-turbo 1996 Taurus SHO, with a Ricardo Mercedes 6 speed Automatic transmission. I have spent nearly as much my SHO as I have on both my kit cars.

I consider the V8 SHO one of the finest American built cars of the past 25 years.

As for the value of a SHO car wise? They are worthless. But their super light weight engines are gold mines for the hobby and kit car industries.

I most recently bought 5, V6 SHO cars for somewhere around $5,600 each and sold them for nearly 9k each. My most common buyers are people building kit cars, air planes and light weight Jap cars.

I myself currently am running 2 V6 SHO engines in my Chevron Marauder and a V8 SHO in my Cobra Kit Car.

My SHO has nearly paid for itself in bets, (mostly from mechanics and Ford dealers who claim the car doesn’t exist).

But the SHO is a great car, and certainly a work of art.
*edit*
I would like to add I had to strip the engines and do a little work to them but it was still a 35 hundred dollar profit.
*/edit*

Last edited:

80blue

Established Member
hey guys ive read this thread over a few times and theres the guys who love this car and those who say its a p.o.s. i need your advice,im lookin to buy a car either a thunderbird super coupe,fox mustang or sho,most likely a supercoupe or sho,so what would be a worth while price for an SHO 126882 miles on it or heres the link http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6238&item=4556437516&rd=1

i almost got a 35th anny SC from a guy 20 minutes from me but he sold it to some guy in florida cause the joker was goin to pay to ship the car,and i bid 3000 on ebay today on a 93 SC didnt meet reserve so i contacted the seller and offered 3000 and he said he wanted 6500,it was a nice car but no stock SC is worth that unless its a 35th with about half a mile on it.

so what should i do,i will be driving this car at least 50 miles every other day for 66 weeks to go to school (UTI,universal technical institue) so should i go for a cheap SHO or a decent priced supercoupe,i dont care how cheap the car is though if it breaks alot and is expensive to fix,thanks guys.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
80blue said:
hey guys ive read this thread over a few times and theres the guys who love this car and those who say its a p.o.s. i need your advice,im lookin to buy a car either a thunderbird super coupe,fox mustang or sho,most likely a supercoupe or sho,so what would be a worth while price for an SHO 126882 miles on it or heres the link http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6238&item=4556437516&rd=1

i almost got a 35th anny SC from a guy 20 minutes from me but he sold it to some guy in florida cause the joker was goin to pay to ship the car,and i bid 3000 on ebay today on a 93 SC didnt meet reserve so i contacted the seller and offered 3000 and he said he wanted 6500,it was a nice car but no stock SC is worth that unless its a 35th with about half a mile on it.

so what should i do,i will be driving this car at least 50 miles every other day for 66 weeks to go to school (UTI,universal technical institue) so should i go for a cheap SHO or a decent priced supercoupe,i dont care how cheap the car is though if it breaks alot and is expensive to fix,thanks guys.

Unless you like working on your car and more importantly know what you're doing, I'd advise against the SHO. The SHO needs twice the work of a normal car and if you can't do it yourself, you'll go broke!

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
80blue said:
haha thanks thats what i thought was comming.

It's honestly the truth. I bought my SHO new in 1989 and I still have it. Why? Because it is truly and awesome and unique car! :thumbsup: It's definitely a love/hate relationship. I love it when I hear that Yamahammer rev and I hate it when I have to fix it when it's not running right. Cost of the maintenance is not really an issue for me because I love the car so much. I get a lot of comments on the car. For being 16 years old she's in damn good shape. Surprises a lot of Ricers too!! ;-)

yamahaSHO

Established Member
If I had not modified my '95, it most likely would not cost me more to maintain than any other car. My '92 on the other hand... I bought that with a blown piston. That thing needs work, but I slowly take care of what is wrong and it has proven to be a very reliabe and fun car (*knocks on wood*) although it feel extremely slow right now since I've been driving the supercharged SHO around lately.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
ectuomnie said:
Automotive engineering has always been a hobby of mine, Madison Gibson is my brother and Carroll Shelby is a childhood friend.

I have had the privilege of riding and owning some of the finest and most luxurist cars ever built.

I own a Quad-turbo 1996 Taurus SHO, with a Ricardo Mercedes 6 speed Automatic transmission. I have spent nearly as much my SHO as I have on both my kit cars.

I consider the V8 SHO one of the finest American built cars of the past 25 years.

As for the value of a SHO car wise? They are worthless. But their super light weight engines are gold mines for the hobby and kit car industries.

I most recently bought 5, V6 SHO cars for somewhere around $5,600 each and sold them for nearly 9k each. My most common buyers are people building kit cars, air planes and light weight Jap cars.

I myself currently am running 2 V6 SHO engines in my Chevron Marauder and a V8 SHO in my Cobra Kit Car.

My SHO has nearly paid for itself in bets, (mostly from mechanics and Ford dealers who claim the car doesn’t exist).

But the SHO is a great car, and certainly a work of art.
*edit*
I would like to add I had to strip the engines and do a little work to them but it was still a 35 hundred dollar profit.
*/edit*

Are you fricken for real. HAHAHA

yamahaSHO

Established Member
Quad turbo V8 '96 SHO... I'd like to see that. That's one of those... No way in hell I'll believe it until I see it.

I can get a motor for $120, I don't know why anyone would buy the car for 3 times what it is worth.

I'm with Benvie on this one...

cobraracer46

Banned
An SHO ain't worth shit. Even worse, alot of the parts for the gen I and II's are either obsolete from ford or hideously expensive. I have never seen the value of a car go down the toilet as bad as an SHO has. Having said all that, I have always liked the gen I SHO's :)

sage11x

ac427cobra said:
Unless you like working on your car and more importantly know what you're doing, I'd advise against the SHO. The SHO needs twice the work of a normal car and if you can't do it yourself, you'll go broke!

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

eh, the SHO is certainly no camry- but the car gets an undeserved bad rap IMO.
It's a performance car, and all performance cars require more TLC than low perf commuters. In the case of the SHO, the car requires a moderate degree of regular maintenance to run properly. For example the much vaulted 60,000 mile service (which recommends valve adjustment among other things).
In it's favor the SHO's issues are well known, login to SHOtimes.com and you can pretty much estimate the cost of maintenance as the site is extremely detailed. Factor that into your purchase and make your decision. Parts are generally more than standard Fords but less than imports. Availability is poor unless you know where to look ;)

I owned a 90 mtx and loved it. Drove the car to well over 100K miles with few unexpected repairs. Of course I had to drive the car to Wisconsin for a fair price on the 60K (not mechanically inclined enough to tackle that!), had to replace the clutch at 80K, and performed many, many rudimentary repairs myself (grease clutch cable, clean wiper switch, oil pan, solenoid). After a sticky parking brake cable incident I decided that as a starving part-time student/full-time employee I needed more reliable transport. I bought a 01 Mazda Protege ES2.0. Funner than a civic, 4 grand cheaper than a corolla and more reliable than the taurus... right? Wrong.
I love that little sedan but the only difference between it and the SHO was that for the first 50K the dealership had to cover me. I've replaced the drivers seat mount twice, both front hubs/wheel bearings, right front control arm, all four rotors (warped), and two rear calipers WHICH had to be rebuilt as I couldn't find replacements from anyone but mazdaspeed and they wanted an arm and a leg. Now the car is out of warranty and I'm a little concerned... my sunroof is starting to act up...

Earlier this year I got another chance and picked up a 1995 mtx SHO as a second "summer fun" car. Paid less than 5K, it has less than 58K on the odo and an upgraded clutch. Car is original stock, never seen a winter, and in mint condition. I can pretty much guarantee what it's going to need in the next 10K: brake pads, 60K service, thermostat, water pump, new springs and shocks- It's a labor of love. But like someone here said- soon as I hear that yamahammer drop it all becomes worth it.

BTW that 90 mtx is still running strong, treat 'em right and that oversized V-twin will run forever...

qwikhuh

Established Member
Its easy. If you can work on your own car they are fun to own. They are fast cars but you cannot beat on them like you would a Mustang. I used to race my 92 and broke a lot of axles on it. Now that I retired it and drive it daily its been very reliable and its a lot of fun to drive. Fast and comfortable on the highway and can hold off most buzz bomb imports. They can be had for cheap and if you need obsolete parts there are plenty of cheap parts cars out there.

Users who are viewing this thread